Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Can I get some info on the kid. Since, barring a trade or the Rangers getting lucky and moving up in the lottery, he looks like he will be available where the Rangers will most likely draft - 5 or 6 - is he a potential #1 center in the NHL. Does he have size, and if so, does he use it? Any info is appreciated.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
jas said:
Can I get some info on the kid. Since, barring a trade or the Rangers getting lucky and moving up in the lottery, he looks like he will be available where the Rangers will most likely draft - 5 or 6 - is he a potential #1 center in the NHL. Does he have size, and if so, does he use it? Any info is appreciated.

I'm in the minority but I don't think that his skating is not good enough to be a #1 offensive player. He could end up being someone like Marc Savard or Cory Stillman who excells when they are in the right situation but they both got bounced around the league a fair bit before they made a place for themselves.

I'm betting that he'll still be available 10 to 20 spots after NYR first pick. That said I didn't think PM Bouchard would go as early as he did in 02.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
West said:
I'm in the minority but I don't think that his skating is not good enough to be a #1 offensive player. He could end up being someone like Marc Savard or Cory Stillman who excells when they are in the right situation but they both got bounced around the league a fair bit before they made a place for themselves.

I'm betting that he'll still be available 10 to 20 spots after NYR first pick. That said I didn't think PM Bouchard would go as early as he did in 02.

And I think you are crazy.

Schremp may not be a speedster, but his skating isn't an issue. We aren't talking about a Luc Robitaille (or Corey Locke if you want a junior situation) situation here. He's just a decent skater, just your average, middle of the road guy, not a weakness or concern, but not essentially one of his main strengths.

I'll literally make my shorts into a sandwich if Schremp falls into the 20's, as you said. If it was the 2003 draft, I'd say, hey anything is likely because the draft crop was so strong. But in 2004, we have around 15-18 guys who are significantly better then the rest. There is a serious drop off around that point.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How does Schremp's game compare to Langkow's, for example. I'm asking because Schremp is likely to be available when Phoenix pick.

Last edited:

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I think that Schremp's game is comparable to that of Havlat's... He has the potential of an extremely talented top line centre and he's proven in juniors that size doesn't matter to him. I don't forsee him running into any problems in his transition into the NHL. Infact, I feel he can do what Bergeron did this year and play on the NHL team he is drafted by, right away. He is definately a player I would keep my eye on. Too small to ever be one of the best centres in the game but he could very well pull a Martin St. Louis.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about in referance to shremp's size. Most scouts seem to list him as 6'.5" to 6' 1" and int he 190 to 195 lbs range, since when is that small? He's not a power forward prospect or an overy physical player, but he is above the average NHL size (which i beleive is about 6 foot.) For camparison, Martin St. Louis is 5'9", so i don't really see the comparison size wise.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
xander said:
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about in referance to shremp's size. Most scouts seem to list him as 6'.5" to 6' 1" and int he 190 to 195 lbs range, since when is that small? He's not a power forward prospect or an overy physical player, but he is above the average NHL size (which i beleive is about 6 foot.) For camparison, Martin St. Louis is 5'9", so i don't really see the comparison size wise.
St. Louis is 5'6, like Paul Kariya and Mike York these players are listed with their skates on..... he compared him to Havlat who is not small but not big.. i think he is making the comparison on how they use their strength.. havlat is not physical and could be man handled despite having decent size

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Size and speed are NOT issues with Schremp. His build and skating remind me a bit of Mark Recchi, and he clearly hasn't had any problems playing in the NHL. When you consider Schremp's amazing offensive talent, from everything to his shot to playmaking, you have "Pro" player written all over him. He's going to be dynamite.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
in the hall said:
St. Louis is 5'6, like Paul Kariya and Mike York these players are listed with their skates on..... he compared him to Havlat who is not small but not big.. i think he is making the comparison on how they use their strength.. havlat is not physical and could be man handled despite having decent size

Yes. Thats exactly what I was saying :yo:

Even though Schremp is the average height of an NHLer, he plays like a small guy... and that's not a bad thing. He's quick, loaded with skills and possesses tremendous talent. He just won't be phyical for the most part. That is the only area of his game that I find lacking.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Hoot said:
How does Schremp's game compare to Langkow's, for example. I'm asking because Schremp is likely to be available when Phoenix pick.

Not in the least, Langkow is a good checker and gets the job done in his own end. Schremp won't finish a check to save his life and can't be relied on defensively. Right now Schremp is all offense and has an incredible pair of hands... it's a treat to just watch some of the things he does with the puck during warmup. His shot is also very heavy, both wrist and slapper.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
While Schremp may not be a speedster, he is quick and shifty. His straight away speed isn't great, but he can create time and space for himself with his skating. One guy who does this incredibly well is Daniel Alfredsson. At top speed, he's not a fast skater, but he utilizes his skating abilities very well, and his shiftines and creativity allow him to be elusive in the offensive zone.

The Havlat comparison doesn't work for me because Havlat really creates with his speed and is capable of absolutely embarassing defencemen with speed (and of course skill). The Marc Savard comparison is actually incredibly thought provoking, although I think Schremp will hit his stride easier in the NHL. That being said, Savard is quite a good comparison style-wise.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Hossa said:
While Schremp may not be a speedster, he is quick and shifty. His straight away speed isn't great, but he can create time and space for himself with his skating. One guy who does this incredibly well is Daniel Alfredsson. At top speed, he's not a fast skater, but he utilizes his skating abilities very well, and his shiftines and creativity allow him to be elusive in the offensive zone.

The Havlat comparison doesn't work for me because Havlat really creates with his speed and is capable of absolutely embarassing defencemen with speed (and of course skill). The Marc Savard comparison is actually incredibly thought provoking, although I think Schremp will hit his stride easier in the NHL. That being said, Savard is quite a good comparison style-wise.

From what people are saying (i've never seen him play so this is not the most informed opinion) his strengths seem to be his hands and his vision, his skating is average and at this point he's unreliable defensivly. Anyone see a spezza comparison?

Last edited:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Hossa said:

I'd agree 100% with your take on his skating. People who play the offensive playmaking center in the NHL who are his height and are legitmate first line players tend to skate like Joe Sakic. While Schremp does have a good first step and agility he's not anywhere near the Joe Sakic class of skater, and he seems to lack the two way feel for the game someone like Adam Oates had.

fanofohl15

Mar 13, 2004
what is most amazing about schremp is that he went to london after they had their team well established and under way. for anybody that has seem him play they will agree he has tremendous hands and can do amazing things with the puck and can read the play before it happens. agree or not, the trade was the best thing that he could have done for his career. he went to the best teem in the ohl, very high visibility. 30 goals and 45 assist would be fantastic on any team, let alone london.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So will Schremp have an immediate impact at the NHL level? Is he Pavel Datsyuk with an attitude or is he Jamie Lundmark redux?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
West said:

wouldn't put money on it. IF he slips past the Rangers I would say that Carolina is likely to take him, especially if O'Neill is moved at the draft.

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
schremp is an outstanding offensive player. we has played mostly on the 3rd or second line in london but has been on the top powerplay unit all year...i think that schremp will go no later that top 10 and if he drops past the top 5 who ever gets him will be very happy

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hossa said:

That's just it. Good, scratch that, great offensive players know how to use the skills they were given by birthright to the best of their abilities. Schremp may not be Konstantin Koltsov, but he knows how to use his speed. Stealing a line from you again Sean, a guy like Joe Sakic isn't a speedster, but he's an offensive force because he utilizes his speed properly.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yes, yes, but can't you guys answer the question: what is Schremp's projected impact at the NHL level in your opinion. Everybody knows that Schremp is talented but will it translate to the NHL? Can he carry a first line against the top d-men in the NHL? Will the Foote's and Chara's simply gobble him down and burp up the remains? Is he a future 90 to 100 point player? Come on guys, answer the question :D

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hoot said:
Yes, yes, but can't you guys answer the question: what is Schremp's projected impact at the NHL level in your opinion. Everybody knows that Schremp is talented but will it translate to the NHL? Can he carry a first line against the top d-men in the NHL? Will the Foote's and Chara's simply gobble him down and burp up the remains? Is he a future 90 to 100 point player? Come on guys, answer the question :D

If Schremp progresses well, and if he decides that he wants to be the "full out" player he can be, then yes, Schremp could be a franchise first line center.

Hoot

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
If Schremp progresses well, and if he decides that he wants to be the "full out" player he can be, then yes, Schremp could be a franchise first line center.

Thank you. Unfortunately those if's are the if's of so many talented players. If they progress and if they have the drive...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Brock said:

That being said if he ends up being a SOLID second liner, it will also take grit and determination. I suspect 3rd or 4th line is not a successful position for him although he could mature into that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
if he puts all the pieces together he could be a keeper, if not he could have a similar story to Dan Cleary. Another kid who jumped onto the OHL scene as a dynamic rookie only to slip in his draft year and fail to put all the pieces together since.

gonna go either way.

Aver33

Apr 26, 2002
We are expecting him to be a core contributor to any type of run the Knights make in the OHL playoffs. Im hopeful he can step it up further. With all the guns the Knights have this season, including Perry etc. He could get more of a chance to put up the points with him not necessarily the go to guy on the team.

Go Knights Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad