Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Moumni_Bachir said:
I'm guessing how do you guys describe Rob Shremp...? Power Forward, High scoring forward? whatever

I never see him play. But I imagine he is a high scoring forward...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Moumni_Bachir said:
I'm guessing how do you guys describe Rob Shremp...? Power Forward, High scoring forward? whatever

Almost like Jason Spezza type of player. Likes to stickhandle and is able to wow a crowed with his abilities, is a top notch playmaker and passer with great shooting as well. Has good skating ability but is an area that he could work on more though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
moosefan said:
Almost like Jason Spezza type of player. Likes to stickhandle and is able to wow a crowed with his abilities, is a top notch playmaker and passer with great shooting as well. Has good skating ability but is an area that he could work on more though.

In the few Ice Dog games I caught last year, Schremp seemed a lot more physical than Spezza. While they are similar in stickhandling and overall offensive ability, Schremp was also out there throwing a few checks and crashing the net.

To be honest, I see a lot of Jeremy Roenick in Schremp.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Brock said:
In the few Ice Dog games I caught last year, Schremp seemed a lot more physical than Spezza. While they are similar in stickhandling and overall offensive ability, Schremp was also out there throwing a few checks and crashing the net.

yeah I never mentioned that, I thought I would just tell about what offensive type of player he is. I should have mentioned that though thanks for chipping it in.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Brock said:

I haven't seen him throw a single bodycheck since he has come to London, but he sure can make the puck talk. Spezza is a good comparison, Schremp also reminds me of Doug Weight with the way he runs the PP off the side boards.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
This is probably been discussed to death but....

Is this kid the real deal? I mean what do you OHL guys think about his potential and where/when do you see him being drafted in 2004? (I assume that he has yet to be drafted).

I've read alot of great things about this guy, but would appreciate some more insight on him. Thanks in advance.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
Is this kid the real deal? I mean what do you OHL guys think about his potential and where/when do you see him being drafted in 2004? (I assume that he has yet to be drafted).

I've read alot of great things about this guy, but would appreciate some more insight on him. Thanks in advance.

Yes, he's the real deal.

But he's also a real heel.

Any team that drafts him does so with a "buyer beware" tag. He's been a high maintenance player up until now and while he is unquestionably an excellent hockey player, few can deny that his character needs work.

Hopefully- it's more a matter of maturity and he comes around. But Schremp has a legion of sycophants who follow him around telling him how great he is all the time, the same people who spin out of control when anyone dares suggest that his attitude can be counterproductive.

Not taking anything away from Schremp as a hockey talent, but I'd be leery of the intangibles that he doesn't bring. I'm guessing he'll be a contract headache at some point down the road, but that will take a good amount of time to surface (if at all).

Flame away, Schremp fans... :moon:

X-SHARKIE

I've seen Schremp on tape three times. I'm amazed by his skills, But I definitly think he hurt him self on draft day with his Pre-Madanna crap!

I think he's going to go in the range from 4-7 depending on how good of a year he has.

I dont like Immature players. If the Wild sucks this year, and they get him. He could be a reallly good player someday though. No one questions his Hockey skills, on those alone he's #2 behind Ovechkin. But I just feal like slapping him in the face when he does all this goofy stuff off the ice.

SOunds harsh I know, But theres guys who work there tails off day in day out trying to be as good as they can. I hate seeing natural talent in the wrong body.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I've seen Schremp on tape three times. I'm amazed by his skills, But I definitly think he hurt him self on draft day with his Pre-Madanna crap!

I think he's going to go in the range from 4-7 depending on how good of a year he has.

I dont like Immature players. If the Wild sucks this year, and they get him. He could be a reallly good player someday though. No one questions his Hockey skills, on those alone he's #2 behind Ovechkin. But I just like slapping him in the face when he does all this goofy stuff off the ice.

I agree, X.

Questions about character scare the teams picking early off, but all of us pretty much know that Mr. Schremp will be a top-10, maybe even a top-five pick in June.

It then becomes up to him to "earn this" as Tom Hanks said in Saving Private Ryan.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I honestly believe Schremp's actions are motivated by the fact he already considers himself a professional. He doesn't want to do anything except play hockey and he will do whatever it takes to reach his goal, to be a big time player in the NHL, no matter what anybody else thinks. Personally I think he's driven and he's simply trying to do what is best for his long term career. I really haven't heard any of his coaches complain about him, nor his teammates. What I have heard is a lot of people fall into the popular belief that he has an attitude problem without any real proof to back it up. Somebody please give me an example of Schremps bad attitude that comes from somebody who knows, not Kyle Woodlief, jeaulous players Schremp played against, or those who have heard from someone who heard from someone else.

Garnet

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have watched him in London and he's a very good player. No antics on the ice that I have seen. He's got great skill and should put up major points this year playing with I think the best OHL team.

I question the whole Ice Dogs thing!!! One poster said he thinks hes a professional and just wants to play. Looking out for his career. Schremp would have got a lot more ice time and could have developed better leadership skills on the Ice Dogs. But he wanted to move why?? He picked his teams he wanted to play for why?? Junior A is not a professional league so where did this idea come from?? He wanted to play on a good team to pat his stats and up his draft rating, but he made a miss of the whole ordeal and now people question has attiude and desreving so in my opinion.

DR. Holiday

AJ1982 said:
I honestly believe Schremp's actions are motivated by the fact he already considers himself a professional. He doesn't want to do anything except play hockey and he will do whatever it takes to reach his goal, to be a big time player in the NHL, no matter what anybody else thinks. Personally I think he's driven and he's simply trying to do what is best for his long term career. I really haven't heard any of his coaches complain about him, nor his teammates. What I have heard is a lot of people fall into the popular belief that he has an attitude problem without any real proof to back it up. Somebody please give me an example of Schremps bad attitude that comes from somebody who knows, not Kyle Woodlief, jeaulous players Schremp played against, or those who have heard from someone who heard from someone else.

Talk to any usa coaches he played for at all star games. The kid is selfish and me first. His family/fans are near cult like in their rabid devotion though so anyone who says a bad word about him in public get ready for the backlash.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Garnet said:
I have watched him in London and he's a very good player. No antics on the ice that I have seen. He's got great skill and should put up major points this year playing with I think the best OHL team.

I question the whole Ice Dogs thing!!! One poster said he thinks hes a professional and just wants to play. Looking out for his career. Schremp would have got a lot more ice time and could have developed better leadership skills on the Ice Dogs. But he wanted to move why?? He picked his teams he wanted to play for why?? Junior A is not a professional league so where did this idea come from?? He wanted to play on a good team to pat his stats and up his draft rating, but he made a miss of the whole ordeal and now people question has attiude and desreving so in my opinion.

Ludzik leaving may have had an influence on Schremp. Also, it is widely debatable as to which is better for a player, to play on a really great team with good players (mind you, Schremp is playing a good amount even on a very good team) or play on a lesser team. Practicing day in and day out with great players is bound to make you better, I think London is a better situation for Schremp than Mississauga. The place where you log the most ice time in games may not be the best place for your development. Major junior is certainly only a step away from professional and let's face it, the guys playing in major junior are all aiming to be pro, it is a pro style league. Hey, most of them get paid already right? As for padding his stats, well I think he could have done that in Mississauga, he'll probably get less points per game in London, but what he will get is a shot at the memorial cup and a winning atmosphere. I don't think he made a mess of it anymore than a guy like Spezza did, I really think his reputation is perpetuating itself at this point. Not that it matters, he'll still be drafted high and will most likely be a solid NHL'er

DR. Holiday said:
Talk to any usa coaches he played for at all star games. The kid is selfish and me first. His family/fans are near cult like in their rabid devotion though so anyone who says a bad word about him in public get ready for the backlash.

We are talking about all-star games here. It's not exactly a meaningful game. And what exactly happened at these games? I can't really talk to the usa coaches. If the USA coaches are so convinced about his selfish and me first attitude why were they so quick to take him on the roster earlier this year? As for his family, maybe they reflect poorly on him, I don't know haven't met them myself, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about the kid himself.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
I can't really talk to the usa coaches. If the USA coaches are so convinced about his selfish and me first attitude why were they so quick to take him on the roster earlier this year? .

Maybe because they want to win hockey games and he's the best talent available for his age group.

As I have said many times, there is no doubt he'll be a high pick in Raleigh. But let's get real and understand that NHL teams, who have a much wider talent pool from which to choose from (unlike the USA coaches), are going to be leery of a player who comes with any sort of baggage.

Is the reputation deserved? That will be up to Schremp and his handlers to overcome through the interview process at the combine and right before the draft. Will his rep hurt his draft standing? I don't know. It might.

But pointing to the way that the US NTDP jumped at the chance to get him on their team is simply a different scenario, because they obviously don't even have a shot at an Ovechkin or Malkin or Olesz or Tukonen or any of the other draft prospects who are competing with Schremp at the top end of what I'm hearing is a shallow talent pool.

Anyway- I'm sure this is going to dominate the message boards and media circles all the way up to and after the 2004 draft, so we might as well buckle up and try to enjoy the ride.

Me? If I were an NHL GM who had a top-five pick, I wouldn't use it on Schremp based on what I know right now. I don't care how good the kid is as a player, character is also important. Knowing that I'm drafting a player who will do his best to be committed to the team is important. As skilled as Schremp is, some of the scouting reports have questioned his attitude and work ethic. Unless he can answer those questions in an interview before the draft, I wouldn't touch him. Now, if I'm picking 6-10 and he's on the board, then that's a different story.

But- good debate. Schremp has been controversial on these boards ever since his clique started talking him up here at age 13! I don't expect that to change now.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Stock Rocks said:
Maybe because they want to win hockey games and he's the best talent available for his age group.

As I have said many times, there is no doubt he'll be a high pick in Raleigh. But let's get real and understand that NHL teams, who have a much wider talent pool from which to choose from (unlike the USA coaches), are going to be leery of a player who comes with any sort of baggage.

Is the reputation deserved? That will be up to Schremp and his handlers to overcome through the interview process at the combine and right before the draft. Will his rep hurt his draft standing? I don't know. It might.

But pointing to the way that the US NTDP jumped at the chance to get him on their team is simply a different scenario, because they obviously don't even have a shot at an Ovechkin or Malkin or Olesz or Tukonen or any of the other draft prospects who are competing with Schremp at the top end of what I'm hearing is a shallow talent pool.

Anyway- I'm sure this is going to dominate the message boards and media circles all the way up to and after the 2004 draft, so we might as well buckle up and try to enjoy the ride.

Me? If I were an NHL GM who had a top-five pick, I wouldn't use it on Schremp based on what I know right now. I don't care how good the kid is as a player, character is also important. Knowing that I'm drafting a player who will do his best to be committed to the team is important. As skilled as Schremp is, some of the scouting reports have questioned his attitude and work ethic. Unless he can answer those questions in an interview before the draft, I wouldn't touch him. Now, if I'm picking 6-10 and he's on the board, then that's a different story.

But- good debate. Schremp has been controversial on these boards ever since his clique started talking him up here at age 13! I don't expect that to change now.

It's true, the Schremp hype has been around as long or longer than the Crosby hype.

Sticky*

SOunds harsh I know, But theres guys who work there tails off day in day out trying to be as good as they can. I hate seeing natural talent in the wrong body.[/QUOTE]

I don't neccessarily agree with you there. While I do agree that Robbie has a bad attitude, you shouldn't question his work ethic. Don't get them confused, he works hard on the ice, and in the locker room. The problem with him is that he is good, and he knows it.

MadMaxFaN

Was schremp traded or wanted to be traded b/c of the new ownership....not doing what it says in his contract...by leting his family and friends come up to Missasauga and watch games with expenses paided??? :yo: :yo:

No Quarter*

Hows Schremp in comparison to Eric Staal?
Is he a better prospect or does he play a totally different style game?
I seen Staal play live this year when The Pens played Carolina and I was really impressed with him.

ChannelChanger

Oct 24, 2003
jimmy page said:
Hows Schremp in comparison to Eric Staal?
Is he a better prospect or does he play a totally different style game?
I seen Staal play live this year when The Pens played Carolina and I was really impressed with him.

Staal has a few things going for him that Schremp will never have......Height, size and leadership qaulities. Eventually Staal will add more muscle to his 6'2 frame, and that will be a big help. I've seen and talked to Schremp, and he ain't a lick over 6'0 (no matter what they say). I, like a few others agree he's high maintenace right now, and like others also believe he should mature out of that.

NOTE: Of the 3 games I've seen live of the Knights this year, Schremp has been average at best (showed flashes of brilliance). But, I have to admit, I've seen him light it up on TV a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad