Schremp..way overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Ozolinsh_27 said:
Sure you shouldn't be trying to spear anyone after a game, let alone a fan. But at the same time, you have to wonder what kind of stupid you are to be heckling 16-20 year old major junior hockey players on a Wednesday night.
Typical of Kitchener fans. They usually spit and swear at visiting players throughout the game.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Cerebral said:
Look out, Schremp might be developing into more of a Forsberg type player with this grit that he's starting to play with... :D

I've been thinking all year this kind is our next Gretzky, but with his recent outbursts, he's looking like our next Messier instead. :D

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
im sick of the people saying no he wont and he is overrated. No one knows for a fact someone is overrated until proven. The kid might be the next great star, maybe not.... some ppl should not post until they see him prove his worth in the NHL... until then, these kinds of posts about ppl being worse of better should just be opinion based threads

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
My 2 cents.

To Stokes...your an Oilers fan eh, I don't think I've ever seen you post once in the Oilers board. I'm calling youre bluff.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned. But we Oiler fans are obviosly very excited about Schremp, and rightfully so, but none have ever said he'd compare to Ovechkin or Malkin. Leading up to the draft, many media guys were quick to point out that on skill alone, Schremp is quite possibly right behind the big 2, but his attitude and lack of defensive responsibility would bump him down.

Realistically, Schremp will come down to earth, make it to the NHL and prove the critics wrong. Will he put up 100 points a season? maybe, will he be a total bust?maybe. One thing I know is that all we can do is look at what he is doing right now, and what he is doing is tearing up the OHL, whether that transfers to the NHL is yet to be seen, but lets all agree that as of December 2005, he's proving alot of people wrong, and making alot of major league GM's second guess their decisions at the draft.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Oh Oh - just when Oiler fans seemed to have cleared up any comparisons to Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin or Sakic some guy pops up and starts comparing him to Forsberg.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
Boomhower said:
Typical of Kitchener fans. They usually spit and swear at visiting players throughout the game.

really? i mean is that true? when i go to games i can't heckle the visiting team without someone in front of me telling me to shut up and telling an usher to come talk to me.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
I love when people just look at where someone was drafted and say they can't become a comparable player to someone because they weren't a top 10 draft pick. If the scouts didn't see it in them back then, then there is NO ways they could ever do any better than anyone drafted before them...

Vomiting Kermit*

orcatown said:
Oh Oh - just when Oiler fans seemed to have cleared up any comparisons to Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin or Sakic some guy pops up and starts comparing him to Forsberg.
I'm pretty sure he was kidding around.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
How anyone can blame Oiler fans for gushing and using hyperbole over Schremp is beyond me. Do you KNOW how long it's been? We've been sitting in the Hinterland watching Jason Bonsignore's since Christ was a kid and you're going off on us for reaching a little?

Schremp<God.

That's all I'm giving you.

:innocent:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
So the kid tried to spear someone in the crowd, but won't get suspended? I hope he gets sued by the guy. In no way you can hit someone in the crowd, very bad publicity.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Schremp has the talent to be a decent number one center in the NHL. His physical strength is more of an impediment than his skating or skills and that is the easiest think for a young player to improve on. His upside has to be something like a Joe Sakic. A top ten scorer potentially and better than Comrie for sure. He has cooled off in the OHL a bit but still has the inside track in the scoring race.
Not overrated at all.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Boomhower said:

That's a pretty broad generalisation of Kitchener fans.

Spening a year in K-W, the hecklers were few and far between there. It's just a couple of schleps being morons.

As much as I hate Schremp the way he left the "other Toronto", I can't deny that the last time I followed him he had bucketloads of offensive talent. His defense and skating were atrocious, but that was two years ago. I try and ignore the Knights as much as I can these days. Well, just Schremp really.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Taupy said:
So the kid tried to spear someone in the crowd, but won't get suspended? I hope he gets sued by the guy. In no way you can hit someone in the crowd, very bad publicity.

Sued for what? Attempted poking with a hockey stick?

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
1) I don't think it's right to generalize Kitchener fans for the actions of a few people. Every arena has a couple people that seem to think it's okay to harass people simply for liking another team.

2) This is what has annoyed me the most about this whole thing. How can ANYONE who was not present at the game and not in the immediate vicinity comment on what Shremp did or didn't do and the results thereof. The video, shows nothing but him poking with his stick. You see noone in the direct path of the stick nor do you see anyone being struck with it. (Yes I know you can see someone's hand appear in the corner of the frame but simple geometry will tell you that from that camera angle from that distance, you don't know if that stick was 5 feet away from them being pointed towards someone else). Even if he wasn't pointing at the person as he states he was doing, and his intent WAS to strike someone, how can anyone other than him, or the people in that immediate vicinity know that?

Anyone who thinks that they can draw a conclusion by that video would probably be inclined to draw the same conclusion without it (I hope anyone who does isn't on any jury I might be faced with should the need ever arise). The 5 seconds that exist on tape are not conclusive of anything.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I think the league has sunk to a new low by not suspending Schremp. I'd love to know the reasoning behind it, assuming there is one. The fact is that a player tried to spear a fan. Period. Considering there is or was an automatic 5-game suspension for flipping a puck into the crowd, I'd really like to know how the league justifies no suspension in this situation.

If he was spat upon, I understand his anger (I think it's the most disrespectful thing a person can do), but players simply can't be allowed to go after a heckling fan. Any player... any arena... anytime.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Charlie_Girl said:
I think the league has sunk to a new low by not suspending Schremp. I'd love to know the reasoning behind it, assuming there is one. The fact is that a player tried to spear a fan. Period. Considering there is or was an automatic 5-game suspension for flipping a puck into the crowd, I'd really like to know how the league justifies no suspension in this situation.

If he was spat upon, I understand his anger (I think it's the most disrespectful thing a person can do), but players simply can't be allowed to go after a heckling fan. Any player... any arena... anytime.

Maybe people co-oberated his story??? If there was any contact and it was witnessed I couldn't see how he wouldn't se suspended. BTW-I'm glad that you can gather all of this from about 3 seconds of footage. Ever heard of reasonable doubt???

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
BTW-I'm glad that you can gather all of this from about 3 seconds of footage. Ever heard of reasonable doubt???
I was at the game...... good enough for you? Or do you know more from seeing the 3 seconds of footage and not the whole thing?

Oh.... and while you continue to believe that Schremp did nothing wrong... one of the Ranger executives was interviewed on the radio today.

http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html

For those that we're listening Bienkowski addressed the Schremp spearing / fan spitting incident on the radio.

For one Bienkowski refused to name the offending Knight player, but did mention that in the incident report filed by the city a fan complained about being struck by a stick in the event.

Last edited:

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Charlie_Girl said:
I was at the game...... good enough for you? Or do you know more from seeing the 3 seconds of footage and not the whole thing?

Oh.... and while you continue to believe that Schremp did nothing wrong... one of the Ranger executives was interviewed on the radio today.

http://www.rangersrush.com/Forum.html

For those that we're listening Bienkowski addressed the Schremp spearing / fan spitting incident on the radio.

For one Bienkowski refused to name the offending Knight player, but did mention that in the incident report filed by the city a fan complained about being struck by a stick in the event.

First off, what Schremp did was stupid, he should have never lost his cool like that but at the sametime the Kitchiner faithful is just as stupid for spitting on a player. As far as a fan complaining about being struck by a stick, kind of reminds me of someone in a chrysler neon getting rear ended by someone driving a 7 series BMW. The accident didn't hurt them at all but when they look in the rear view mirror and see the car that just hit them they come down with devasting neck pain.

I'm willing to bet that if it was Ryan Martinelli involved in this whole thing that "fan" wouldn't have filed anything but because it was Rob Schremp and his NHL 1st round pick contract a compliant was filed.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
Sunny Mouhamed said:
My 2 cents.

To Stokes...your an Oilers fan eh, I don't think I've ever seen you post once in the Oilers board. I'm calling youre bluff.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned. But we Oiler fans are obviosly very excited about Schremp, and rightfully so, but none have ever said he'd compare to Ovechkin or Malkin. Leading up to the draft, many media guys were quick to point out that on skill alone, Schremp is quite possibly right behind the big 2, but his attitude and lack of defensive responsibility would bump him down.

Realistically, Schremp will come down to earth, make it to the NHL and prove the critics wrong. Will he put up 100 points a season? maybe, will he be a total bust?maybe. One thing I know is that all we can do is look at what he is doing right now, and what he is doing is tearing up the OHL, whether that transfers to the NHL is yet to be seen, but lets all agree that as of December 2005, he's proving alot of people wrong, and making alot of major league GM's second guess their decisions at the draft.

Well said Sunny. Schremp IS making creative artistry on ice look rather mundane and almost too easy out there at times. Regardless of those who despise him, I will call a spade a spade....he is terrific with the amount of offensive skills that he possesses, period.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
TJF said:
First off, what Schremp did was stupid, he should have never lost his cool like that but at the sametime the Kitchiner faithful is just as stupid for spitting on a player. As far as a fan complaining about being struck by a stick, kind of reminds me of someone in a chrysler neon getting rear ended by someone driving a 7 series BMW. The accident didn't hurt them at all but when they look in the rear view mirror and see the car that just hit them they come down with devasting neck pain.

I'm willing to bet that if it was Ryan Martinelli involved in this whole thing that "fan" wouldn't have filed anything but because it was Rob Schremp and his NHL 1st round pick contract a compliant was filed.

Agreed, although I would've said a Ford Pinto getting rear ended by a Rolls Royce!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->