Schremp speaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ola said:
Schremp was still benched during the playoffs... If he can´t cut it playing in juniors what speaks for that he will be a star in the NHL?

schremp was benched during the playoffs because dale hunter decided it was more important to play his own son and his own nephew then give his team the best chance to win. it was an absolute joke and is more reflective of hunter's character than anything to do with schremp

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I held a pretty neutral opinion towards his supposed attititude problems, but I have to admit that story makes me see think very little of his character.

The fact there wasn't a trainer and some sticks weren't readily available doesn't mean that you walk out, and it certaintly DOES mean you are in fact walking out on your team-mates. If you're one of the best players on the team, you go to management and tell them to get their crap together. Let the team rally around you. By simply walking out because there are a few challenges IS in fact walking out on your team mates, because after all, they're going through the same challenges.

And that franchise managed to get to the OHL finals this year, so pointing the finger at them as being messed is pretty thin. Don't get me wrong, I believe that they were probably dis-organized at that time - and his gripe was probably legit - but you then walk out? If that happened with the Sens last year - when the team was going through bankruptcy and no pay cheques came for a week - I guess we know where he would have gone. Straight home.

And the reference that the owner broke some promises to his little brother is also pretty thin. Imagine a 17 year old saying he heard some bad things from his little brother about his team owner, so he won't play there any more. Man...

Finally, the thing about the homework really tops it off. It's an example of a person trying to avoid doing something because everything wasn't handed right to him. Some one messed up and forgot to send him his homework, so he takes the summer off?! And then he's surprised when he goes back at the end of the summer and they don't give him the credits anyway?

Hey Robbie, your high school might have made an administrative mistake, but YOU messed that one up. I just bet he was looking through the mail every day saying "where's my home work".

If you can pick up a phone to tell the owner you won't play for him anymore because he lied to your little brother and because he doesn't have his **** together, then you sure as hell can pick up the phone to tell your high school to get their **** together and send you your home work.

As Radio Robert would say..."Punk!"

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i think its funny how schremp decides to not make his dirty laundry public and keeps things to himself rather than making the dispute public, and then people assume the worst and bash him for not explaining himself claiming that he must have something to hide...

then the kid comes out and explains his side of the story, which is what those people were asking from him...and then those same people bash him and accuse him of lying because they are so convinced that the scenario that they imagined in their own minds when he wasn't saying anything is true, that anything said to contradict it must be a lie

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
and people are ignoring the fact that schremp didn't simply demand a trade, he called his agent and expressed his concerns with the situation and then his agent is the one that decided they would ask for a trade. schremp was only following the advise of someone he trusted. if his agent told him to stick it out or speak to management about the problems, then he probably would have done that...

so if you think that was the wrong move, then you should be blaming the agent, not schremp for trusting that his agent had his best interest in mind

RoyIsALegend*

Wait till you see Robbie Schremp's outbursts on the ice when something doesn't go his way. As an IceDog fan and Mississauga native, I watched this egotistical punk whine and cry for a season and a half. All the skill in the world, but oozing of arrogance.

I wouldn't want him, personally, and this comes from somebody who has spoken to him in person, joked around with him and watched him live about 20 times.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I held a pretty neutral opinion towards his supposed attititude problems, but I have to admit that story makes me see think very little of his character.

I agree - the incidents themselves weren't particularly damning IMO but then he comes out and whines and moans about how it's not his fault...this, more than anything else, made me think little of him.

Sammy*

NYR469 said:
and people are ignoring the fact that schremp didn't simply demand a trade, he called his agent and expressed his concerns with the situation and then his agent is the one that decided they would ask for a trade. schremp was only following the advise of someone he trusted. if his agent told him to stick it out or speak to management about the problems, then he probably would have done that...

so if you think that was the wrong move, then you should be blaming the agent, not schremp for trusting that his agent had his best interest in mind
Give me strength. The guy walked out & demanded a trade. He then stiffed the UStd (or whatever its called).
You then go ahead & say if there is any blame ( :joker: :joker: ) its the agents fault.
In your world, is there any self responsiblity?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Sammy said:
In your world, is there any self responsiblity?

Well, in his defense - he's a stupid kid :D

We're all stupid kids up to a certain point, but it's not like Robbie hasn't been around this stuff his whole life. He should've played this better, but he has an overly ambitious agent, and who knows who really controls what this kid does..parents? agent? his little brother? The kids 'reality' is all twisted.

When it comes down to it, his 'explanation' is simply smoke & mirrors, some heavy spinning going on there.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
NYR469 said:
i think its funny how schremp decides to not make his dirty laundry public and keeps things to himself rather than making the dispute public, and then people assume the worst and bash him for not explaining himself claiming that he must have something to hide...

then the kid comes out and explains his side of the story, which is what those people were asking from him...and then those same people bash him and accuse him of lying because they are so convinced that the scenario that they imagined in their own minds when he wasn't saying anything is true, that anything said to contradict it must be a lie

It's a case of cognitive dissonance really. People won't really ever get over their misconceptions that this guy is a coach killer, a bad teammate and the ultimate whiner all rolled into one person. They believed it to begin with and everything will be twisted around to suit that belief. I swear many people think Schremp is the anti christ.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Yes he can - he can keep his goddamn mouth shut. Let his agent say anything if anything needs to be said at all.

He did keep his mouth shut for quite some time. I guess he was sick and tired of the lies, at least according to the way he sees things. I don't think he's a complete innocent, but I think he is being unfairly labeled, and I also think that there's been plenty of players that have done what he did, and there will be plenty more in the future. Is he a prima donna? Perhaps, but that's not going to prevent him from being a high draft pick.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bluenote13 said:
Well, in his defense - he's a stupid kid :D

We're all stupid kids up to a certain point, but it's not like Robbie hasn't been around this stuff his whole life. He should've played this better, but he has an overly ambitious agent, and who knows who really controls what this kid does..parents? agent? his little brother? The kids 'reality' is all twisted.

When it comes down to it, his 'explanation' is simply smoke & mirrors, some heavy spinning going on there.

Okay, let's boil it down. He left the Ice Dogs because he felt his development/draft status would be better with another team, which happened to be London. He used the leverage at his disposal to achieve that aim, plain and simple. Is he alone in doing that? No.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Okay, let's boil it down. He left the Ice Dogs because he felt his development/draft status would be better with another team, which happened to be London. He used the leverage at his disposal to achieve that aim, plain and simple. Is he alone in doing that? No.
Oh, so I get it now. Because its been done before, irrespective of the situations or their spin, its ok for Robbie? Is that how you boil it down?
This guys personality from all I read strikes me as a quitter, a whiner, a guy who takes no self responsibilty & who will blame whatever particular woes that he has that day on everyone but himself.

degroat*

Wow. This thread just goes to show that some people will never be happy and some people will never be able to form their own opinions beyond widely accepted misconceptions. This is the exact same reason why some people still try to claim that Tkachuk is a cancer despite the fact that he has been nothing but the ideal teammate in St Louis.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear someone explain how Schremp is a quitter. What I see is a guy who is intelligently looking out for his future. I'm a programmer and just finished college a few years ago. After my sophomore year I changed colleges because I didn't think that college was the best for my future. Did that mean I quit on my school? No. It means I did what was best for my future. He did the exact same thing and NHL team would love to have a player that is dedicated to making himself a great hockey player. Frankly, not enough prospects have the same dedication and attitude.

I only wish the Blues could find a way to trade up and draft him.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Sammy said:
Why would you consider it worse?
Pick your poison...
Schremp told the team before the season he wanted to be traded and gave the team a deadline and a list of teams he would play for. (2 weeks and 3 or 4 teams)

Spezza demanded a trade and just moped around the team uncommited to his teammates and disappointed he hadn't been traded yet.... Spezza became such a distraction the coach kicked him off the team and told him to go wait for his trade at home.

Don't know why someone laughed about having concern over not having a trainer for camp... obviously you haven't seen any major junior camps. Players try to make the team by any means necessary, there is no restriction on physical contact and fighting certainly isn't discouraged. Not that any of that stuff would effect Schremp, he hides from it whether there is a trainer or not....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Oh, so I get it now. Because its been done before, irrespective of the situations or their spin, its ok for Robbie? Is that how you boil it down?
This guys personality from all I read strikes me as a quitter, a whiner, a guy who takes no self responsibilty & who will blame whatever particular woes that he has that day on everyone but himself.

All I want to know is what has Schremp done to you? The vitrol expressed against this guy is amazing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
thestonedkoala said:
Oh and didn't Spezza do something like this? Demand a trade?
Yeah, but he was still challenging for OHL scoring titles in the mean time.

hockeydad15

May 1, 2004
All i keep reading is this guy this, this guy that, rob is only 17! Last year when he was having trouble in Missy, he had just turned 17! For crying out loud guys, yes, i'm sure we're all adults here, give the kid a break!

toughstuff

Apr 6, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
He is just a kid ....
He is just 17 yrs old ...
It's just a stupid kid mistake .....
Give the guy a chance ....

No dice. In your most important year, your draft year, you play it safe.

Any common individual on earth knows that when you are hired by a company and you are on probation for whatever period of time you play it cool.

The common knowledgeable manager knows that if an employee raises sh*t during probation, it will be worse after probation. Usually they fire the guy.

Why should this guy be any different.

Out of the first 60 rated players has anyone been so stupid on so numerous occasions?????

No.....

This will affect him significantly and it should.

degroat*

toughstuff said:
Out of the first 60 rated players has anyone been so stupid on so numerous occasions?????

What has he done that has been stupid?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Surefire bust, his stock continues to drop and that interview just seals his fate.
Kid will be lucky to get picked in the first round.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
All I want to know is what has Schremp done to you? The vitrol expressed against this guy is amazing.
I am expressing an opinion, just like you blindly defending him.
Are you his buddy or something?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I think its unfair to label him a whiner and a quiter. And who cares if he didnt want to go to school?!? Tons of people drop out of school and get their GED's, does that make them all stupid people? And how does that affect his dedication to becoming a better hockey player?

Now I dont think he is completely in the right here, but i dont think he is completely selfish for wanting to better his future.

And Burke...why should he keep his goddamn mouth shut when everyone is talking negative things about him??? I think you should keep your goddamn mouth shut because you only know what you hear from the press.

Prucha73

MePutPuckInNet said:
His Story, And Sticking To It
By: Paul Shaheen - U.S. Hockey News Senior Writer

U.S. Hockey News Exclusive

To many people's way of thinking, NHL prospect Robbie Schremp has made some serious miscalculations. But in his opinion, he's merely been misunderstood.

"It drives me nuts when people say I wanted out of Mississauga because the team wasn't good enough," says Schremp, the 6-0/195 pound forward and Fulton, New York native who, in a story that earned headlines on both sides of the border earlier last fall (USHN Sept 29, Oct 1, Oct 9, Oct 21) , forced the Ice Dogs to trade him in October after having spent the entire season there in 2002-03. "I would never leave my team just because they weren't competitive. Besides, look what they (the Ice Dogs) did this year, they went all the way to the OHL finals."

Though Schremp's desire to leave Mississauga was painted primarily as a conflict between himself and new head coach Greg Gilbert-who'd replaced Steve Ludzik after the team had been purchased by new owner Mario Forgione last summer-Schremp says that was hardly the case.
"Ludzik and Gilbert were two of the best coaches I've ever had," Schremp insists, "the problem was really the new ownership. Forgione also owned the Milton Merchants, which is where my brother Tyler played, and he (Forgione) made a lot of broken promises, so after he bought Mississauga, I had the sense the same thing was happening. Players didn't have sticks and such, and right before the beginning of training camp this year, we didn't even have a trainer. Things just didn't seem organized," Schremp continues, "so I called my agent. I was worried because this was my draft year, and he (Chicago based Scott Norton) said I might be able to progress better somewhere else."

Schremp then spent two weeks with the US NTDP while the Ice Dogs worked out a trade, one that eventually sent him to the London Knights, who with a cast of stars a kilometer long-Schremp included, went 53-11-2-2 and made it to the OHL's Western Conference Finals before falling to Guelph in seven games. Mississauga went 36-21-7 and skated to the OHL championship series before bowing to the same Guelph Storm in four straight.

So after all this, here sits Schremp-days away from attending the NHL scouting combine in Toronto and only 30 days from the NHL Draft-working out aggressively off the ice while hoping what he did on it, in the eyes of NHL scouts, will supersede the headlines that preceded him.

"I know I got some negative publicity over what happened," Schremp admits, "and I remember worrying about it somewhat at the time, but I made my decision, and when you make a decision, you have to stick by it."

Certainly Schremp's talents are unquestioned. He was the OHL's Rookie of the Year in 2003 after scoring 26 goals and 74 points, only seven shy of teammate and fellow American Patrick O'Sullivan. This year, Schremp did even better: 30 goals and 75 points in 63 games.

"Skill-wise, I think I'm ready for the NHL," thinks Schremp, "but I just need to get stronger."
Indeed Schremp's assets are many: speed, skill, shooting and passing. But he knows with huge NHL defenseman like Ottawa's 6-9/225 pound Zdeno Chara lurking around, there's a need to bulk up. "I need more muscle," Schremp says, "that will help me, and improve my defensive game."

As for his schooling, Schremp claims that's another area that hasn't been reported in the most accurate light. While Red Line wrote in October that Schremp viewed education as merely an 'inconvenience,' he insists a foul-up by his school in Mississauga didn't help matters, and cost him a full semester of HS credits.

"When my season ended last year, I went home (to New York) and was suppose to have received coursework to do while back in the states. It never came. So when I got back to Mississauga earlier this year, I found out I didn't have any credits from the second half of last year. It would have taken me another year or so to finish school, so I opted for correspondence study to get my GED instead."

Schremp says he'll have his GED completed by early summer.

While Schremp was disappointed not to have been part of Team USA's gold medal performance at the World Juniors, he insists he'd never turn his back on another opportunity to represent his country. And as for what lies ahead, Schremp's encouraged on several fronts, especially the new style of play that's swept the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. What with Calgary and Tampa Bay both succeeding with a more up-tempo style of play (read: no TRAP!), he believes that's the type of environment in which he could flourish.

"Trap hockey is the worst hockey you can play," Schremp adds, "yes, the trap works, but for a whole game? Who would want to pay money to watch that?"

So where will Schremp be taken? Though he'll easily be chosen by the middle of the first round, he says he's not focusing on how high he'll go.

"At this point, it's sort of beyond my control. Look at my friend Dustin Brown. He was taken last year at 13th and he made it (in Los Angeles). It's really not a matter of how high you go, but rather where you go."

And should he track to the NHL with the degree of success he hopes, any misunderstandings will be long forgotten.

From this interview I don't see why people are saying negative things about him and he doesn't seem stupid. Is there something I am missing?

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
If anything this article made me think even less of Schremp then I did before. The kid goes out and blames everyone but himself for his problems. It shows no heart, no character and no class. Just the actions of a arrogant little punk. The part about his schoolwork was especially weak, was it too much to call his school and remind them to send it to him?? He walked out on his junior team and the USHDA, whose to say he won't walk out on his NHL team at the first sign of trouble. If he had shown some chracter and said for example that he could have handled things better, I would have had respect for that. But blaming everyone else indeed shows this kid has a serious attitude problem. I wouldn't want this guy on my team either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad