Schneider or Frazee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towelie*

I have unfortunately being unable to watch either of the USA's games and am wondering which goalie looks better, and which goalie you guys think well be the starter for USA.

I don no that Schneider has let less goals in thus far, however has played against worst competition. What are your thoughts?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Comfortably Numb said:
I have unfortunately being unable to watch either of the USA's games and am wondering which goalie looks better, and which goalie you guys think well be the starter for USA.

I don no that Schneider has let less goals in thus far, however has played against worst competition. What are your thoughts?

IMO, Frazee will be the better tender. But not yet. Better rebound control, and I think he's going to be a monster for the USA next year, but he had a bad game against Finland, and I think it's Schneider's job to lose.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Frazee has never impressed me. I hate when people use the excuse tghat a goalie is only putting up good numbers because of the team in front of him, but Frazee is a classic case of that. On an average team I think he would be severly exposed. There are five goalies in the WHL alone that are better than him. Much like Rask and Khudobin, I do not see much of an NHL future for Frazee.

The US might be good enough to win in spite of him this year, but for their sake they better bank on Schnieder being in net during the medal round.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I personally wouldn't want to play Frazee ahead of too many people. He's wild and out of control. He's the type of goalie that makes me nervous every time a shot is directed close to the net.

Obviously he does some things really well. He has great reflexes and flexibility, he is fast, etc. But he just scares me.

parisefan55

Dec 30, 2003
At this point I say flip a coin. Schneider allowed an awful Norway team to score on him twice...now thats just bad. Remeber what happened to him last year against Belarus???? I do not dislike Schneider...he is a very good college tender. I just get the vibe that he is nervous at this level. The only chance he had last year was against Belarus and we all know how that went. He had no threat of losing the Norway game thanks to the 11 goal thrashing the US put on Norway, but they still scored twice which is reason for concern. Justin Pogge the Canadian goalie had numerous 5-3 and man down disadvantages and he didn't allow Norway to score once.

Frazee isnt the best goalie in the world, but he's not bad either. As a freshman in Minnesota he is more than holding his own. He didnt play the greatest against Finland.

Its a good thing that they have one more "tune up" with the Swiss. My guess is Schneider is going to get the nod, but if he lets in more softies then what do you do?

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
parisefan55 said:
At this point I say flip a coin. Schneider allowed an awful Norway team to score on him twice...now thats just bad. Remeber what happened to him last year against Belarus???? I do not dislike Schneider...he is a very good college tender. I just get the vibe that he is nervous at this level. The only chance he had last year was against Belarus and we all know how that went. He had no threat of losing the Norway game thanks to the 11 goal thrashing the US put on Norway, but they still scored twice which is reason for concern. Justin Pogge the Canadian goalie had numerous 5-3 and man down disadvantages and he didn't allow Norway to score once.

Frazee isnt the best goalie in the world, but he's not bad either. As a freshman in Minnesota he is more than holding his own. He didnt play the greatest against Finland.

Its a good thing that they have one more "tune up" with the Swiss. My guess is Schneider is going to get the nod, but if he lets in more softies then what do you do?
I agree as far as flip a coin. Although I'd probably go with Frazee just because Schneider looks like a deer in headlights during big games. He was very solid during the regular season in college last year,but when the NCAA tourney rolled around he was horrid in both games it makes you wonder about his mental toughness.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
NCAA Hockey Fan said:
I agree as far as flip a coin. Although I'd probably go with Frazee just because Schneider looks like a deer in headlights during big games. He was very solid during the regular season in college last year,but when the NCAA tourney rolled around he was horrid in both games it makes you wonder about his mental toughness.

I'm not taking a shot at Frazee at all, but you can't consistently win with a goalie who is as over-reactive and undisciplined as he is. Especially at this level. Sure he's quick and flexible, but he's not smart at all. And he's not even a guy you can count on to hold his own on routine shots. He plays like he wants to be on the highlights instead of in the win column. Schneider is safe and plays way more simple and smart than Frazee. He's got a much better chance to be an NHL goalie in my opinion.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Comfortably Numb said:

I think they should go with Schneider. Frazee hasn't impressed me at all.

cardinal0512

Aug 10, 2005
Basically, Frazee has had a tough go of things so far. Up until then he was playing very well, but has only won one game after that and the Gophers have stopped their early-season rotation (with Frazee playing on Saturday night and their junior goalie on Friday) and gone with the junior more often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's a story on Frazee: http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/main_site/main/home/06wjc_frazee_122905/

As for who I would go with, I'd like to see Scheider in action against Switzerland before anointing him the go to guy. He didn't look all that comfortable against Norway, but the game was spent almost entirely in the other end of the rink, and that can be a problem for many goaltenders. I'd like to see him get a little more action against the Swiss and stay sharp.

As for Frazee, despite his style of play, he's been very successful throughout his career, especially internationally. He's unorthadox, but since when is that an inherant detriment for a goaltender? I would prefer if he was less spastic, but he did just enough to win against Finland and made some timely saves. I wouldn't be surprised if Walt Kyle prefers him to the more heralded Schneider. I wouldn't be surprised ihe gets the start against Canada, regardless of what happens in the Swiss game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->