Schneider on US WC Team

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
should be a good experience for him, hell with Graham and Esche he he might even play:help:

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
So who all did he beat out? With Dipietro and Miller otherwise busy, the only other American name I can think of is Boucher, although I think there's a few more.

edit: Conklin is American also, but still in the playoffs. Wow, Buffalo has two American goalies, that's odd.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
So who all did he beat out? With Dipietro and Miller otherwise busy, the only other American name I can think of is Boucher, although I think there's a few more.

edit: Conklin is American also, but still in the playoffs. Wow, Buffalo has two American goalies, that's odd.

its not a matter of him beating out established goalies. This is about USA hockey making a decision to give the 3rd spot to a young guy to give him experience that could be valuable in the future.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
its not a matter of him beating out established goalies. This is about USA hockey making a decision to give the 3rd spot to a young guy to give him experience that could be valuable in the future.

Oh I agree. I was just commenting on who he 'beat out.' I think having a young, possible future starter get the experience is much better than throwing away the third spot.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Hartford still in the AHL playoffs? Montoya probably would have been offered.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

They have used this strategy for years, and it doesn't make any sense. If a player isn't good enough, he shouldn't be going.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
They have used this strategy for years, and it doesn't make any sense. If a player isn't good enough, he shouldn't be going.

it makes plenty of sense, give a young guy who could be a key part of future sucess for team USA some experience at a new level while he cant hurt you because he wont play. And if somehow there were injuries to the 1 and 2 goalies the US and Canada dont really care about the WCs so it wouldnt really be a big deal.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
correct me if im wrong but didnt stafford and kessel play for team USA in lats years WC.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Kessel did, not sure about Stafford

i had to check it out. both kessel and stafford where on the team. also david mckee, yan stastny and patrick o'sullivan where all on the team. 5 non-nhl players. that doesnt happen every year.

Bobby39

Jan 19, 2007
Oh I agree. I was just commenting on who he 'beat out.' I think having a young, possible future starter get the experience is much better than throwing away the third spot.

Schneider was invited last year as well but declined because of his academic schedule at Boston College.

Bryzga lol*

Canada should be doing the same thing. Great way to get up and coming talents to get used to the international system.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Canada should be doing the same thing. Great way to get up and coming talents to get used to the international system.

Pogge was the starter and Dubnyk was the backup at the Spengler Cup. Not as big but thats the tournament Canada typically uses to get young players some experience, the problem with that is only AHL players can go.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
it makes plenty of sense, give a young guy who could be a key part of future sucess for team USA some experience at a new level while he cant hurt you because he wont play. And if somehow there were injuries to the 1 and 2 goalies the US and Canada dont really care about the WCs so it wouldnt really be a big deal.

See, a country with depth shouldn't depend on players who could be good, they should pick players who are good. Also, if he isn't going to play, being there doesn't really help him, the only thing that will help him is game experience, and if he isn't good enough to play, then he probably won't be able to help you in the future.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Pogge was the starter and Dubnyk was the backup at the Spengler Cup. Not as big but thats the tournament Canada typically uses to get young players some experience, the problem with that is only AHL players can go.

dubnyk have to be sick and tired of being pogge's backup:biglaugh:

btw. does anyone know how dubnyk is doing. how has he developed since being drafted. is he the future #1 goalie for edmonton??

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
For those asking questions about last year's USA WC roster

here is the link

http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournaments_06/output/WS/ihm0460usa_33_5_0.pdf

I have no issue with a young goalie going along with 2 goalies with NHL and international, and in particular, WC experience. Last year, Anderson and Bacashihua (sp?) split the time in nets with Anderson getting more starts. Reality is the third goalie rarely gets more than 1 start, if that, during these tourneys.

It is nice to know there is an upgrade in goal for the USA with the two playing in the playoffs: Miller and DiPietro - but they are not options for this tourney (my guess is DiPietro is not available even if the Isles are eliminated).

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
See, a country with depth shouldn't depend on players who could be good, they should pick players who are good. Also, if he isn't going to play, being there doesn't really help him, the only thing that will help him is game experience, and if he isn't good enough to play, then he probably won't be able to help you in the future.

Who really cares who the 3rd string goalie in a nothing tournament is. He's not going to play, having 3 goalies come gives you the luxury of picking someone for reasons other then their current ability.
And he will gain experience by practicing with the team and being with the players who are going to play.

The last comment is rediculous, if he cant play on the team as a prospect with no pro experience he cant help you in the future, give me break.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
dubnyk have to be sick and tired of being pogge's backup:biglaugh:

btw. does anyone know how dubnyk is doing. how has he developed since being drafted. is he the future #1 goalie for edmonton??

At least he actually got to play this time, although he got pulled in a 5-0 loss in the game he started but he redeemed himself the next game (semi-final) by maintaining the win after Pogge was ejected for fighting.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Who really cares who the 3rd string goalie in a nothing tournament is. He's not going to play, having 3 goalies come gives you the luxury of picking someone for reasons other then their current ability.
And he will gain experience by practicing with the team and being with the players who are going to play.

The last comment is rediculous, if he cant play on the team as a prospect with no pro experience he cant help you in the future, give me break.

a. this is not the Olympics, he's not going to be practicing against top level players, they will be NHL players, but they're not franchise players, and most aren't even 1st liners. So the "experience" won't be all that valuable.

b. International experience is gained at the U-18's, U-20's, and spenglers and also the WC. But if you're going, you should actually be good enough to play. Take Tavares for Canada, could have taken this year, but didn't because he wasn't ready, when he's good enough, he can go. The outcome? Canada won, and if Tavares is good enough next year, he'll go when he's ready for the experience.

c. if you don't plan on winning this tournament, what year do you plan on winning it? The next year are you just gonna take more people for experience, are you just gonna test people the next? What about the 2010 Olympics, should you just prep players who might be good in 2014? Of course not, you play every tournament to win.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
a. this is not the Olympics, he's not going to be practicing against top level players, they will be NHL players, but they're not franchise players, and most aren't even 1st liners. So the "experience" won't be all that valuable.

b. International experience is gained at the U-18's, U-20's, and spenglers and also the WC. But if you're going, you should actually be good enough to play. Take Tavares for Canada, could have taken this year, but didn't because he wasn't ready, when he's good enough, he can go. The outcome? Canada won, and if Tavares is good enough next year, he'll go when he's ready for the experience.

c. if you don't plan on winning this tournament, what year do you plan on winning it? The next year are you just gonna take more people for experience, are you just gonna test people the next? What about the 2010 Olympics, should you just prep players who might be good in 2014? Of course not, you play every tournament to win.

You have the wrong angle on this. Here's the bottomline: Instead of taking a guy like Brian Boucher or the immortal Dieter Kochan for the 3rd goaltender spot, the U.S. brass has decided to prep one of their goalies of the future (Cory Schneider) for future spots on Men's National Teams by giving him some exposure in this tournament. He'll be able to practice against NHL players, and maybe even get a start against a lower level opponent. I think this is great for a guy like Cory, and demonstrates the long term commitment the U.S. brass has towards developing national teams.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
i had to check it out. both kessel and stafford where on the team. also david mckee, yan stastny and patrick o'sullivan where all on the team. 5 non-nhl players. that doesnt happen every year.

yan stastny played in te NHL last season, slow start with edmonton though

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
yan stastny played in te NHL last season, slow start with edmonton though

he played 3 games with the oilers, 17 with the bruins. and 51 with the iowa stars in the AHL. and 6 playoff games with providence. alltogether 20 nhl games and 57 AHL games. i will say he was an AHL'er last season. and the U.S page listed him as an AHL player.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
He's unfortunately had to play down in the ECHL this year due to Edmonton's lack of an AHL club. He managed to land in great situation though as Stockton is a solid team to play for and he has apparently been very strong all season long. It's somewhat difficult to judge his progress based on where he has been playing but most would agree his development is on track and he certainly has the potential to be Edmonton's future #1.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He's unfortunately had to play down in the ECHL this year due to Edmonton's lack of an AHL club. He managed to land in great situation though as Stockton is a solid team to play for and he has apparently been very strong all season long. It's somewhat difficult to judge his progress based on where he has been playing but most would agree his development is on track and he certainly has the potential to be Edmonton's future #1.

ok. thanks:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->