Schmidt injured

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
IR for Vegas blueliners is a gooooooooooooooood thing!

That means one more roster space for dmen going into the start of the season. With so many under contract, it'd be nice to keep the best ones and the lobger it takes to have to make the decision, the better decision it will be. Schmidt's injury frees up one more slot to compete over.

Garrison, Jason NTC LD NHL 32 $4,600,000
UFA

Sbisa, Luca LD NHL 27 $3,600,000
UFA

Stoner, Clayton LD NHL 32 $3,250,000
UFA

Schmidt, Nate LD NHL 26 $2,225,000 $2,225,000
UFA

McNabb, Brayden LD NHL 26 $1,700,000
UFA

Merrill, Jon LD NHL 25 $1,137,500
RFA

Miller, Colin RD NHL 24 $1,000,000
RFA

Engelland, Deryk 35+ RD NHL 35 $1,000,000
UFA

Theodore, Shea ELC LD NHL 22 $863,333
RFA

Reinhart, Griffin LD NHL 23 $800,000 $800,000
RFA

Hunt, Brad LD NHL 28 $650,000 $650,000
UFA

Last edited:

VegasVic67

Jun 25, 2017
The Meadows
If I was Nate Schmidt.

I was just drug through the coals in arbitration by my employer, then was required to go to Montana, during my 2 month summer vacation, to be an ambassador for the same franchise that just low balled me....my ankle would be hurting too.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Not to sound too cynical, but I'm sure when the team re-visits this next week Schmidt will be fine - I don't think he wanted to go to Montana during his vacation, that's all.

It's just like when athletes skip the All-Star Game due to undisclosed injuries - they just want the time off.

If Schmidt's not on the ice when camp starts, then we can be concerned.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If I was Nate Schmidt.

I was just drug through the coals in arbitration by my employer, then was required to go to Montana, during my 2 month summer vacation, to be an ambassador for the same franchise that just low balled me....my ankle would be hurting too.

Stop being so hyperbolic.

The players understand this is a business, and like any other, it's about the bottom line.

Very, very rarely is there any bad blood leftover as the result of arbitration.

If he plays well, he will be rewarded as such regardless of what happened in negotiations this year.

VegasVic67

Jun 25, 2017
The Meadows
Very, very rarely is there any bad blood leftover as the result of arbitration.

Now who’s being hyperbolic? Only thing that is very, very rare in the NHL is a player actually going to arbitration. But reassuring to know that you’re privy to the psyche of the many, many that have.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Now who’s being hyperbolic? Only thing that is very, very rare in the NHL is a player actually going to arbitration. But reassuring to know that you’re privy to the psyche of the many, many that have.

The past couple years 25-30 players go a year. Yeah, 90% agree on deals beforehand, but for the most part it doesn't create tension between the two parties.

Look at two recent examples in Tyson Barrie and Mike Hoffman. They both went to arb, and Barrie and COL actually didn't settle on a deal until after arbitration. He signed a 4 year contract. Does that sound like he held a grudge?

Mike Hoffman went to arbitration two damn years in a row and never reached a deal before hand. Guess who signed a long term contract to stay in Ottawa last year? Yeah...Mike Hoffman.

Sometimes it does what you say, but again, it is rare and that is a fact.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I should also add...why do we assume this is McPhee's fault here?

Was it ever released what Schmidt wanted in a contract in the first place? What if he was asking for something totally unrealistic and he was the one causing this to go to arbitration? That is surely a possibility too. He is going to get a bigger role here, and maybe he felt like he should be paid for said role without even proving he can handle it yet?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I should also add...why do we assume this is McPhee's fault here?

Was it ever released what Schmidt wanted in a contract in the first place? What if he was asking for something totally unrealistic and he was the one causing this to go to arbitration? That is surely a possibility too. He is going to get a bigger role here, and maybe he felt like he should be paid for said role without even proving he can handle it yet?

The only thing that was ever released was Schmidt's arbitration ask.

To be honest, his case was such a unique one and it HAD to go to arbitration - it was a player assuming a new role on a new team, which is somewhat unprecedented for RFA's. If he had stayed in Washington, he probably wouldn't have gotten as much $$ (or even gone the arbitration route), so he and his agent likely asked for more, and I can't fault them for that. At the same time, I can't fault McPhee for pointing at Schmidt's past production to try to keep the salary down, knowing that he'd get an increased role with Vegas.

What I don't understand is people thinking that McPhee is going to trade him before his contract ends, as a result of some sort of bad blood from the arbitration process. Like the Hoffman example you used, I fully expect Schmidt to sign a long-term extension next summer.

VegasVic67

Jun 25, 2017
The Meadows
Schmidt originally asked for $2.75 million for one season while the Knights countered with two years with a total of $1.9 million.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...schmidt-to-receive-4-45m-after-arbiter-rules/

Look all I was saying, or implied, in my original post was maybe Schmidt didn’t want to ship off for a few days and grow the game or team with Montana kids. Maybe he prefers to spend his limited off season time with his buds, family, or girl friend(s). I know if I wanted out a sprained ankle would be a understandable excuse.

I never implied he’s going to have a life long grudge against his employer. Just that maybe he didn’t feel like doing them any great favors a week after they sat opposite at a bargaining table in front of a independent arbitrator. I don’t know a lot about the process but I’m sure management is making a compelling case for why he doesn’t deserve what he’s asking for.

By the way the last time, before Schmidt, a NHL player ever went to the office of a arbitrator was 2015.

Last edited:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Schmidt originally asked for $2.75 million for one season while the Knights countered with two years with a total of $1.9 million.

Yes, this was the arbitration ask. I think Derriko was saying that we have no idea what kind of contract Schmidt was asking for BEFORE he filed for arbitration. We can only guess that it wasn't close to what McPhee wanted to offer, so he let it go to the arbitrator. And I'm not concerned about the disparity between the two sides with their arbitration asks, because it happens ALL. THE. TIME.

Look all I was saying, or implied, in my original post was maybe Schmidt didn’t want to ship off for a few days and grow the game or team with Montana kids. Maybe he prefers to spend his limited off season time with his buds, family, or girl friend(s). I know if I wanted out a sprained ankle would be a understandable excuse.

This I completely agree with, and is probably the most likely reason for his absence. Again, I don't blame him one bit.

I never implied he’s going to have a life long grudge against his employer. Just that maybe he didn’t feel like doing them any great favors a week after they sat opposite at a bargaining table in front of a independent arbitrator. I don’t know a lot about the process but I’m sure management is making a compelling case for why he doesn’t deserve what he’s asking for.

I'm sure you didn't mean anything bad by it, but when you use terms like "drug through the coals" and "low balled" people are going to assume the worst. Like I said, there's been a LOT of hyperbole surrounding the Schmidt arbitration case, and it just gets a little annoying to see it over and over again.

By the way the last time, before Schmidt, a NHL player ever went to the office of a arbitrator was 2015.

I think you mean the last time an arbitrator actually had to hand down an award decision was 2015, and yes that's correct. But there were two other cases this year alone (Arvidsson, Tatar) in which the arbitration process was completed, but the team and player reached a contract agreement prior to the award decision.

But if you look at the last 10 years - which is as far back as CapFriendly calculates - there are plenty of cases in which the arbitrator had to issue an award decision. Twenty times from 2008-2015, in fact. And in the last 10 years, there were only TWO years that did NOT feature an arbitrator having to make an award decision. So Schmidt's case is honestly not that uncommon.

For your reference: NHL Arbitration Filings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad