Proposal: Schmaltz for Fehervary (just a framework)

Who wins?

• Total voters

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
it would make sense for Caps, top6 winger is a need. And Fehervary is fine, but this value is on the high side. Which suggests Yotes wont do it.

So problem is Caps need to add, and they are not in a position to add futures if Fehervary is already on the outs.

Adding Milano propably doesnt get it done.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
If I was Arizona I would do this in a heartbeat. As a framework? Maybe this works with other pieces added.

However, Fehervary has been probably the Caps most solid defensive presence this season. He's locked up for the same term as Schmaltz (3 years), but MF comes in at $2.675m per year and will still be an RFA at the end of his deal. Schmaltz comes in at $5.85m.

Would Schmaltz be versatile to play C? Or would he be at RW? RW would be a good fit as Oshie is becoming more cooked.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If I was Arizona I would do this in a heartbeat. As a framework? Maybe this works with other pieces added.

However, Fehervary has been probably the Caps most solid defensive presence this season. He's locked up for the same term as Schmaltz (3 years), but MF comes in at $2.675m per year and will still be an RFA at the end of his deal. Schmaltz comes in at $5.85m.

Would Schmaltz be versatile to play C? Or would he be at RW? RW would be a good fit as Oshie is becoming more cooked.

From what I've read/remember/seen, yes he can play center and RW.

Open to being corrected.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fehervary is younger and cheaper, and would be a welcome fit on plenty of clubs around the league. I think if Washington is selling him they'd have a lot to look at.

It's not a bad trade idea. Schmaltz has looked off to me, maybe dinged, so I'm wondering if that would hold things up. The Caps are already full of older dinged up players.

I suspect the Coyotes would do this and the Caps would not.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
big fan of the OP, but if y’all actually think this is just a “framework” , he has you fooled then

Reactions: bernmeister

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As a Caps fan, I don't think I would do it. That said, it's in the right ballpark on fairness and needs.

The needs angle is sort of pointless, as these clubs need a lot of things at virtually every position. I think the Caps should be fixin' to tie up Fehervary for a really long time, myself. If they dealt him for a quality forward, it's not like they'd be doing so from a position of strength on No. 2/3 defense. That's a hole they'd be creating.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a Caps fan, I don't think I would do it. That said, it's in the right ballpark on fairness and needs.

The needs angle is sort of pointless, as these clubs need a lot of things at virtually every position. I think the Caps should be fixin' to tie up Fehervary for a really long time, myself. If they dealt him for a quality forward, it's not like they'd be doing so from a position of strength on No. 2/3 defense. That's a hole they'd be creating.
Fair. His TOI stats suggest he’s being used as the #4 - is that not the way it is? Or just thinking ahead?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Schmaltz is a pretty good player. Very similar to Fehervary. I just don't see Schmaltz staying long-term at center. In terms of value D >>> winger. So as a straight 1-for-1 swap, i'd pass.

Pretty good proposal, either way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Schmaltz is a pretty good player. Very similar to Fehervary. I just don't see Schmaltz staying long-term at center. In terms of value D >>> winger. So as a straight 1-for-1 swap, i'd pass.

Pretty good proposal, either way.
Not sure Schmaltz would be a center in Washington. I could see that on some teams but not sure about Washington. RW/C combo, right-shot vs LD has a touch of mitigation but advantage to the D for sure.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Just as a framework for a trade idea. Does Schmaltz for Fehervary make sense? Assuming this or that smaller asset can be added on either side to balance the value and fit.
With the current trajectory the Caps are on, I don't think they'd move an under-25 Dman for a 27 y/o winger.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Fair. I do think the caps really need a player that’s very good at the very same things Schmaltz is very good at.
I def agree and I've actually eyed Schmaltz for the Caps the past 2 years. He's underrated IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad