Confirmed with Link: Schlemko on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All I've said is Fletcher felt the guys he brought in were better fits for the role. Guys with NHL experience who were never starters are more likely to accept a role as an AHL player and deep roster depth than two players who've started in the NHL for years and are finishing out their contracts. Schlemko has played 415 NHL games, he may be 3rd pair at best, but I doubt he thinks of himself as AHL cannon fodder.

Doesn't mean Fletcher saw Schlemko or AMac as "troublemakers," rather, he just didn't see them as guys who'd be happy to be buried in the AHL for another season with little hope of promotion.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
On a positive note, I think signing Andy Welinski should be a positive move for the Phantoms, and will provide some right shot defensive depth for the organization.

I got to see him play for the Gulls and, occasionally, the Ducks. A solid guy who can move the puck and play the PP, and at 26 he's not over the hill. He was an important part of the Gulls team that just went to the AHL western conference finals.

He's coming off a two-way deal that paid him $125,000 at the AHL, which I'm sure didn't go very far in San Diego. He should be motivated by a one year, one-way deal that will pay him $750,000 in Allentown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad