Schiefele is #10 centre man in the NHL.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
To be clear, I didn't say Scheifele wasn't a top 10 centre, but I do have questions about his ability to carry a line to dominance. I have fewer questions about Matthews, Crosby, Bergeron and McDavid doing this. Those players are very clealry the drivers of their lines and their teams. That's all I'm saying.

Sorry for the newbie of analytics type question, but how is one's ability to drive plays measured?

I could not disagree more that Scheif didn't drive plays, but I should understand how this is measure before I erupt. :)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be clear, I didn't say Scheifele wasn't a top 10 centre, but I do have questions about his ability to carry a line to dominance. I have fewer questions about Matthews, Crosby, Bergeron and McDavid doing this. Those players are very clealry the drivers of their lines and their teams. That's all I'm saying.

Well I don't dispute Crosby or McDavid as Crosby is the best player the league has seen the past 12 years. He's been a clear step above everyone else for 12 years now. McDavid looks to be trending in that direction.

Mathews though was heavily sheltered last year both in terms matchup's and zone starts. He didn't carry his team and I'd say that Kadri was clearly their most important centre last year as he scored nearly as much as Mathews, beat his matchups while being tasked to do all the heavy lifting. I like Mathews, he's a fantastic talent but he most certainly hasn't done enough to get ranked over proven legit star centers like Stamkos, Backstrom and heck even Kopitar who yeah had a bad year but is only one year removed from multiple 60 plus point seasons with Selkie calibre defense. Scheifele has also proven more at this point against tougher competetion.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry for the newbie of analytics type question, but how is one's ability to drive plays measured?

I could not disagree more that Scheif didn't drive plays, but I should understand how this is measure before I erupt. :)

Its generally a measure of how you tilt the ice. The simplest metric chance generation percentage (CF%) Anything over 50% means that more chances are generated than given up when ypur on the ice. Scheifele has been over 50% eachbpf the past 3 seasons. He's also been a positive relative possession player the last 3 seasons which means the Jets perform better from a chance generation perspective when he's on the ice vs when he's on the bench. There are other players on the team that perform better such as Wheeler and Perrault but he still has a positive impact. He's been the third best on the team each of the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Its generally a measure of how you tilt the ice. The simplest metric chance generation percentage (CF%) Anything over 50% means that more chances are generated than given up when ypur on the ice. Scheifele has been over 50% eachbpf the past 3 seasons. He's also been a positive relative possession player the last 3 seasons which means the Jets perform better from a chance generation perspective when he's on the ice vs when he's on the bench. There are other players on the team that perform better such as Wheeler and Perrault but he still has a positive impact. He's been the third best on the team each of the last 2 seasons.

Thanks for this surixon.

Does defensive zone starts have any bearing on this metric?

As well, what registers as a chance? When Patrik Laine passes up shooting, from shooting areas, does this register as a chance?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thanks for this surixon.

Does defensive zone starts have any bearing on this metric?

As well, what registers as a chance? When Patrik Laine passes up shooting, from shooting areas, does this register as a chance?

Its a measure of shot attempts. So passing up a shot would not count. There are more advanced stuff out there but unfortunately most of the good advanced stats sites are being taken down due to a number of founders/bloggers getting snapped up by NHL teams.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Bizarro-world Garrett, An eye-test guy, anti-stats and pro-strawmen, REALLY loves his glue guys. Has an avatar with Burmi wearing a halloween hat.

I think Scheif's play-driving chops are down to usage, rather than skill set.He seemed to have no trouble doing in the WCH and elsewhere internationally. PoMo likes his wings.

Garret9 loved Burmi in the KHL. He was going to come back and be a 2/3C as I recall.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->