Schiefele is #10 centre man in the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That list is pretty bad. Matthews being #4 despite not PKing at all isn't the only thing wrong with it. I guess they got the top 3 right.

I don't think they got that right either. McD hasn't supassed Sid yet.

Why is Drai even on the list? Didn't he play most of the time on McD's wing?

Plus/Minus. :shakehead

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't think they got that right either. McD hasn't supassed Sid yet.

Why is Drai even on the list? Didn't he play most of the time on McD's wing?

Plus/Minus. :shakehead

HF recency bias -- for both his play and his new contract. He looked great at times last year but I think it's way too early to pencil him as a top 10 -- or higher -- centre in the league as some have suggested.

I also think Crosby still takes the #1 spot over McD for now, though that's likely to change of course. Maybe its the last year + projection format that's complicating discussion.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Do you mean coming in 2nd in goals per game (to Laine) and 2nd in assists per game (to Laine) and obviously 2nd in PPG (to Laine)?

Whoops! I stand corrected. Matthews was also behind Marner and Nylander on assists per game for rookies. My internet in the back woods is too slow to immediately tell me who else.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
For the record Laine and Matthews were 1, 2, in GPG and PPG.

However in assists:
1.Marner .5454
2.Nylander .4815
3.Werenski .4615
4.Tkachuk .4605
5.Skjei .4250
6.Zaitsev .3902
7.Laine .3835
8.Schmaltz .3606
9.Matthews .3537

Of course if you limit rookie assists comparisons to centers only Matthews did well.
So much for trying to make a quick point that Matthews did not stand heads and shoulders above the other rookies in scoring and was behind Laine in all 3 categories. My bad.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Id take Matthews over Eichel easily. But Matthews at 4 is a joke. Huge joke. Mcdavid over Crosby? I may not agree but i get the logic... I dont get the Matthews at 4 logic

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Should be:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Backstrom
5. Matthews
6. Eichel
7. Scheifele
8. Seguin
9. Stamkos
10. Drasaitl if C/Barkov

Matthews shouldn't be above any of those guys except maybe Eichel until he actually plays more than one season

Matthews was 20th in scoring yet somehow's he's the 5th best centre...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Matthews shouldn't be above any of those guys except maybe Eichel until he actually plays more than one season

Matthews was 20th in scoring yet somehow's he's the 5th best centre...

I'd definitely push Stamkos up, but I don't really have a problem with Matthews over Scheifele. Scheifele scores a lot, but does not drive play or out-scoring at this point. Matthews was a elite scorer and play driver at 19. That's pretty amazing.

That said, Scheifele is top 3 in scoring over the last 120 games or so. That's hard to ignore, but he's more on par with Seguin than the super elites in the top 5 IMO. The fact that Bergeron is missing is the biggest oversight IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd definitely push Stamkos up, but I don't really have a problem with Matthews over Scheifele. Scheifele scores a lot, but does not drive play or out-scoring at this point. Matthews was a elite scorer and play driver at 19. That's pretty amazing.

That said, Scheifele is top 3 in scoring over the last 120 games or so. That's hard to ignore, but he's more on par with Seguin than the super elites in the top 5 IMO. The fact that Bergeron is missing is the biggest oversight IMO.

How exactly does Scheifele not drive play at this point? He has pretty consistently outshot his opposition the last 3 seasons. He's also been a positive relative possession player the last 3 seasons. The team generates more when he's on the ice. They also outscore with him on the ice.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
How exactly does Scheifele not drive play at this point? He has pretty consistently outshot his opposition the last 3 seasons. He's also been a positive relative possession player the last 3 seasons. The team generates more when he's on the ice. They also outscore with him on the ice.

I don't know hiw he doesn't, but he doesn't. Wheeler does.

member 262271

As a Leafs fan I'd put Scheifele ahead of Matthews. Too much jubilation over Matthews' strong rookie season I suppose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well sure Wheeler and Perrault are better at it but Scheifele is still very strong. You aren't giving him his due here Truck, he's far more than just a point compiler.

You should give this a read if you haven't already:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/08/pilots-logbook-mark-scheifele-2016-2017/

As Garret states Schiefele is elite at driving offense off of zone entries and is one of the Jets best play drivers. He can still improve defensively as he's merely average there though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Interesting question isn't it truck considering Wheeler didn't use to drive play he use to be the scorer with Ladd and Little (as I recall). I might need to start a thread on this topic to tap into our tribe for theories and explanations. I had someone send me a cool communication on this exact topic so when I get a chance I might leverage his theory to start the conversation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting question isn't it truck considering Wheeler didn't use to drive play he use to be the scorer with Ladd and Little (as I recall). I might need to start a thread on this topic to tap into our tribe for theories and explanations. I had someone send me a cool communication on this exact topic so when I get a chance I might leverage his theory to start the conversation.

I don't believe Scheifele has any issue driving the play. See chart in link (Every forward on the team save 3 perform better from a shot metric point of view with him than without)

Having said that I think Moe's dzone system does play a role in the centers not having the puck much on the breakout. Given that he generally has them very deep most of the transition play happens th5roigh the wingers

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well sure Wheeler and Perrault are better at it but Scheifele is still very strong. You aren't giving him his due here Truck, he's far more than just a point compiler.

You should give this a read if you haven't already:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/06/08/pilots-logbook-mark-scheifele-2016-2017/

As Garret states Schiefele is elite at driving offense off of zone entries and is one of the Jets best play drivers. He can still improve defensively as he's merely average there though.

Who's Garret?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Who's Garret?

Bizarro-world Garrett, An eye-test guy, anti-stats and pro-strawmen, REALLY loves his glue guys. Has an avatar with Burmi wearing a halloween hat.

I think Scheif's play-driving chops are down to usage, rather than skill set.He seemed to have no trouble doing in the WCH and elsewhere internationally. PoMo likes his wings.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't believe Scheifele has any issue driving the play. See chart in link (Every forward on the team save 3 perform better from a shot metric point of view with him than without)

Having said that I think Moe's dzone system does play a role in the centers not having the puck much on the breakout. Given that he generally has them very deep most of the transition play happens th5roigh the wingers
To be clear, I didn't say Scheifele wasn't a top 10 centre, but I do have questions about his ability to carry a line to dominance. I have fewer questions about Matthews, Crosby, Bergeron and McDavid doing this. Those players are very clealry the drivers of their lines and their teams. That's all I'm saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad