Schedule

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Next 2 vs Caps and Preds. If we can get two points out of those two games we will be in good shape as the schedule gets a bit easier.

In Nov I see the following as winnable games.

Hawks, Wings, Panthers, Habs, Flames, Knights and Kings twice.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
2 points in the next two games and we're out of the woods. Just need to be able to deal with what's outside of the woods after.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Looking at this site:

2018-19 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

They have a stat called SOS (strength of schedule)... which evaluates every team's opposition based on goals for/against and the Oilers have had the toughest schedule so far this season so it's not just our perception that the schedule has been difficult... it's reality.

That doesn't fully excuse their play so far.. because the other stat on that site is SRS which rates all the teams based on their results INCLUDING taking into account strength of schedule and the Oilers come out at 21st overall.

Honestly that's probably pretty accurate... because last season they were 21st in that SRS stat as well and can you really say the team is better this season than last? Not really. McDavid is better and the rest of the team may have actually taken a slight step back.. which keeps them basically exactly where they were last year. On pace for 82 pts right now feels about right as well... just an ever so slight improvement over last season.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Looking at this site:

2018-19 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

They have a stat called SOS (strength of schedule)... which evaluates every team's opposition based on goals for/against and the Oilers have had the toughest schedule so far this season so it's not just our perception that the schedule has been difficult... it's reality.

That doesn't fully excuse their play so far.. because the other stat on that site is SRS which rates all the teams based on their results INCLUDING taking into account strength of schedule and the Oilers come out at 21st overall.

Honestly that's probably pretty accurate... because last season they were 21st in that SRS stat as well and can you really say the team is better this season than last? Not really. McDavid is better and the rest of the team may have actually taken a slight step back.. which keeps them basically exactly where they were last year. On pace for 82 pts right now feels about right as well... just an ever so slight improvement over last season.

At the end of the year though the Oilers still have the easiest schedule based on playing tired teams while rested (essentially the back to back) by playing 4 times more than the teams in second. Everyone has to play everyone so really looking at strength of schedule based on other teams records is sort of irrelevent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I don't think there are many "easy" games in the NHL anymore. You got to bring it pretty much every night if you want to win unless you are one of the 5 or 6 teams in the league that can just overwhelm squads with fire power, and we're not in that group.

The schedule was more of a concern to me early because of the travel due to the Sweden trip, but that's long in the past now and everyone should be re-adjusted and past any jet lag or anything like that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Next 2 vs Caps and Preds. If we can get two points out of those two games we will be in good shape as the schedule gets a bit easier.

In Nov I see the following as winnable games.

Hawks, Wings, Panthers, Habs, Flames, Knights and Kings twice.

Think they end October 3-5-2

Florida, LAx2 and VGK are the ones I have as strong W possibilities.

5-10-2 into mid November. Lay an egg in Calgary on HNIC, T-Mac gets canned, they win 5 of the next 6 to finish November 10-10-3.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Yeah I don't think there are many "easy" games in the NHL anymore. You got to bring it pretty much every night if you want to win unless you are one of the 5 or 6 teams in the league that can just overwhelm squads with fire power, and we're not in that group.

The schedule was more of a concern to me early because of the travel due to the Sweden trip, but that's long in the past now and everyone should be re-adjusted and past any jet lag or anything like that.

Yes, the Oilers are not in that group of teams, but the majority of their first ten games consists of opponents who are in that group (Predators, Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, and Jets). That should have an impact on what one considers a successful record to start the season.

Reactions: Cypress

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes, the Oilers are not in that group of teams, but the majority of their first ten games consists of opponents who are in that group (Predators, Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, and Jets). That should have an impact on what one considers a successful record to start the season.

100%.

I said this in another thread but if this team gets 10 points in their first 10 games then there is no justification for b***hing and complaining about the teams start so far.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Need to see Koskinen start one of the next two. The sooner the better, but I could understand holding off until the more defense-oriented preds. That being said Koskinen can't push Talbot from the bench. He needs to be getting games.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
100%.

I said this in another thread but if this team gets 10 points in their first 10 games then there is no justification for b***hing and complaining about the teams start so far.

Exactly. If we somehow manage to steal 2 of the next 4 points, I can't see how any sane person can be mad about that. We'll have played the hardest schedule in the league, and the hardest stretch of our season, and come out at .500. No, we're not making the playoffs this year, and yes, this is a pretty terrible team in a lot of regards, but .500 during that stretch is still pretty good.

space321

May 11, 2011
Exactly. If we somehow manage to steal 2 of the next 4 points, I can't see how any sane person can be mad about that. We'll have played the hardest schedule in the league, and the hardest stretch of our season, and come out at .500. No, we're not making the playoffs this year, and yes, this is a pretty terrible team in a lot of regards, but .500 during that stretch is still pretty good.

Nobody's mad at getting points or winning. It's about how the team looks while playing. Finally we have a game where our F+D look like a cohesive group, then Talbot kinda shat the bed. Before that it was McDavid carrying everyone. Why would anyone be happy with a team that can't make the playoffs (not to mention having htebest player in the league)?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I maintain 4-5-1 is a passable record after 10 games

anything better is a bonus

I said before the year started, I didn’t(still don’t) think there a playoff team. But if they come out of the first 10 at or over .500. I’ll believe there a playoff team, nothings going to get you more into the year then coming out average in the first 10 where you played in Europe, started on the road, and 6 straight opponents who hit triple digits in points last year

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

If they make it out of their hardest stretch at .500, what makes you think they wouldn't make the playoffs?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
At the end of the year though the Oilers still have the easiest schedule based on playing tired teams while rested (essentially the back to back) by playing 4 times more than the teams in second. Everyone has to play everyone so really looking at strength of schedule based on other teams records is sort of irrelevent.

I agree longer term it does even out somewhat (but some teams still do have slightly easier/harder competition than others based on the number of times they play better/worse teams)... but over the short term it certainly is a factor if a team plays a stretch of tough teams and another team plays a stretch of average/poor teams.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I agree longer term it does even out somewhat (but some teams still do have slightly easier/harder competition than others based on the number of times they play better/worse teams)... but over the short term it certainly is a factor if a team plays a stretch of tough teams and another team plays a stretch of average/poor teams.

I think what he's saying is that over 82 games the Oiler's have an easier than average schedule due to a higher number of games against opponents on the second half of a back-to-back.

This challenging opening schedule could actually be a blessing to a team that's desperate to avoid losing. Forces everyone to raise their game just a little extra.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If they make it out of their hardest stretch at .500, what makes you think they wouldn't make the playoffs?

I was thinking the same thing. That last part of his post was completely incongruent with the first part of his post.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I was thinking the same thing. That last part of his post was completely incongruent with the first part of his post.

I mean, it's certainly possible to implode later in the season, but having the toughest stretch to start the year and making it out in a good position would likely be a big boost to the team and help mitigate some of the primary reasons for a later "implosion" (lack of confidence, unable to handle the pressure of an upcoming tough stretch etc). Honestly, having the tough stretch at the beginning and making it through in a positive manner could be the best thing for this club. If they can make it through this first stretch at .500 I'd be fairly confident that they would be a near lock, particularly given the apparent further weakness of this division this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean, it's certainly possible to implode later in the season, but having the toughest stretch to start the year and making it out in a good position would likely be a big boost to the team and help mitigate some of the primary reasons for a later "implosion" (lack of confidence, unable to handle the pressure of an upcoming tough stretch etc). Honestly, having the tough stretch at the beginning and making it through in a positive manner could be the best thing for this club. If they can make it through this first stretch at .500 I'd be fairly confident that they would be a near lock, particularly given the apparent further weakness of this division this year.

I agree.
My thoughts on this season were pretty much the same as yours. I thought that their success in the first 10 games was pretty much going to set the tone for the season. Especially when you consider just how poorly they played last season. To turn that around in the first 9 games would go a long ways towards galvanizing the team and boosting their confidence.
So far I like what I have seen. I honestly think that they can win against the Caps.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I think what he's saying is that over 82 games the Oiler's have an easier than average schedule due to a higher number of games against opponents on the second half of a back-to-back.

This challenging opening schedule could actually be a blessing to a team that's desperate to avoid losing. Forces everyone to raise their game just a little extra.

This. IF they can survive this tough stretch and step their game up... The remaining easyness of their schedule could be a good thing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Has anyone ever actually done a study of how teams do on the 2nd of back to back games vs the 1st of the back to back games. I know intuitively you'd think teams do worse in the 2nd games... but my guess would be that there's likely very little difference in the actual overall results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->