Schedule

mmazz22

Jan 24, 2010
I do agree with the west guys on this scd. issue. I have watched AHL hockey since 1977 so I know it is never going to be a balanced scd. But like mentioned it would be maddining to miss the playoffs because my team played harder teams than someone my team is competing with. Before the Sens got decent I used to moan that we play Hershey and WBS both teams at the time were powerhouses and we were playing them 12 times a year. While teams we were competing for playoff spots even in our own division played them say 4 times each , while they got to play crap teams to round out the scd.
If your going to have division playoffs or conference playoffs it really needs to be a balanced scd and the conferences always have to be even amount of teams ,unlike the NHL.
In the AHL is this ever going to happen, but isnt that what this forum is about? For us to pipe up about how much smarter we are than the AHL brain trust. haha

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
I was thinking about a possible way to align and have a playoff that "worked", and I've come up with a different idea.

1) Have a 20-team East & 10 team West based primarily on geography. You could make a legit argument that the entire North Division could be in the East.

Here comes the fun part:

2) 16 of 20 East teams make the playoffs - 8 of 10 West teams.

3) Stagger the schedule so that the regular season lasts 1 week longer in the West (have them play each other for one weekend - shouldn't be impossible). Same amount of games - just a timing thing.

** I was also thinking of a 12- team playoff with a set 2-of-3 first round. Penalizes the east in percentage of playoff teams, but it's a workable concept.

4) While the West is "finishing up", the East will have round 1 of their playoffs (a 2-of-3, or 3-of-5 .... I'm flexible on this).

5) When the East's first round (and the West's final weekend) is over, there'll be 8 teams left in the East, and an 8-team playoff set in the West. You then move on as you would normally.

It works on several levels. If you go 16-8, you have 24 playoff teams. If you go 12-8, you have 20 playoff teams. More developing players get that valued "playoff experience".

Might have to work out a few details, but Axe said "If anyone has an idea to put it out there" (or words to that effect). Well, here I am. :D

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I was thinking about a possible way to align and have a playoff that "worked", and I've come up with a different idea.

1) Have a 20-team East & 10 team West based primarily on geography. You could make a legit argument that the entire North Division could be in the East.

Here comes the fun part:

2) 16 of 20 East teams make the playoffs - 8 of 10 West teams.

3) Stagger the schedule so that the regular season lasts 1 week longer in the West (have them play each other for one weekend - shouldn't be impossible). Same amount of games - just a timing thing.

** I was also thinking of a 12- team playoff with a set 2-of-3 first round. Penalizes the east in percentage of playoff teams, but it's a workable concept.

4) While the West is "finishing up", the East will have round 1 of their playoffs (a 2-of-3, or 3-of-5 .... I'm flexible on this).

5) When the East's first round (and the West's final weekend) is over, there'll be 8 teams left in the East, and an 8-team playoff set in the West. You then move on as you would normally.

It works on several levels. If you go 16-8, you have 24 playoff teams. If you go 12-8, you have 20 playoff teams. More developing players get that valued "playoff experience".

Might have to work out a few details, but Axe said "If anyone has an idea to put it out there" (or words to that effect). Well, here I am. :D

Let's just have all teams make the playoffs!! Then even more teams would have that playoff experience!

The AHL just needs to get it right. If you have conference playoffs, even if it is divisional first then you meet in the conference finals. all teams should within that conference should play a balanced schedule.

I actually like the idea outlined above. Everyone east of Ohio and North of the Mason Dixon Line will be in the Whiners Conference. Al other teams will be in the Great Conference. No divisions at all. Top 4 teams go to the playoffs in each conference. Make the regular season worth something.

Timl2009

Apr 21, 2006
Canton, Ohio
I've read (more like scanned) over this entire thread. My idea is to simply create 2 separate leagues based on geography 2 divisions in each league..Then meet each other in the Calder Cup finals.

In this way, you only have 14 potential opponents in the regular season..The East can have its "bus league" if it wants..

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I've read (more like scanned) over this entire thread. My idea is to simply create 2 separate leagues based on geography 2 divisions in each league..Then meet each other in the Calder Cup finals.

In this way, you only have 14 potential opponents in the regular season..The East can have its "bus league" if it wants..

That's basically where the AHL is already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad