News Article: Schedule released 50 games in 100 days

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
After the random 5 day break in Feb, there are 9 back to back games and only 8 back to back days of rest (counting the 3 days as 2 b2b) in 3 months.

That 'random' 5 day break is the ASG iirc (which for some reason they're running this year despite planning on the Olympics originally and now needing space to squeeze games)

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
That 'random' 5 day break is the ASG iirc (which for some reason they're running this year despite planning on the Olympics originally and now needing space to squeeze games)

Oh damn that's right. I haven't watched it in years, completely forgot it existed.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I believe that they have to give the players a week off due to the CBA.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I believe that they have to give the players a week off due to the CBA.
I feel like if you asked the players 'hey do you want a 5 day break, then 9 games in 14 days or would you be willing to smooth that out a little by waiving the break'... Might be more than a few willing to play through it.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I feel like if you asked the players 'hey do you want a 5 day break, then 9 games in 14 days or would you be willing to smooth that out a little by waiving the break'... Might be more than a few willing to play through it.

Don't forget, it's not just about resting, it's about getting time to spend with their families, etc. I think a lot of players would still take it

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Would you take a first overall pick this year if it means one of Brady, Chabot or Timmy gets a career-ending injury? While this sort of thing is always a small risk, playing that many games over 100 days increases that risk a fair bit. And if not career-ending, there's also a lot of guy who have their potential squashed with serious nagging injuries, too.

I love watching hockey as much as anyone, but this isn't safe for the players.

How do we know it isn't safe for the players? Do we know the line in terms of safe/unsafe between the number of games in a week/month?

I am generally interested in the science behind it, not trying to start anything.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
How do we know it isn't safe for the players? Do we know the line in terms of safe/unsafe between the number of games in a week/month?

I am generally interested in the science behind it, not trying to start anything.

I think it has to do with lack of recovery time. I'm pretty sure numerous studies have shown that recovery time post physical activity is very important, it's why you don't workout the same muscles in the gym everyday. After physical exertion, the muscles have these micro-tears that heal back "stronger". It's basically how you build bigger muscles. If you never give a chance to these micro-tears to heal, muscle fatigue sets in and the muscles can't perform as optimally as the usually do. Obviously, anyone who had a prior injury becomes at a greater risk of re-aggravating that injury, for others, a weakened muscle offers less protection to the joints and makes them more likely to be over-extended/torn.

I'm guessing sleep schedules will also be messed up with frequent overnight travel, if you're more tired, you're less sharp and alert and more likely to get injured during a play in a high paced sport like hockey.

All that said, these a pro-athletes getting paid an absurd amount of money to play hockey, they should be focused 100% on health and recovery during the season.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Well, four grueling rounds of the playoffs is 28 games (or less) in about 60 days. And we see the injuries that pile up during the post season. We're just about doubling that. Yes, regular season games don't have the same intensity, so the math isn't perfectly even....but we're basically looking at doubling what a team has to go through in a typical playoff. Don't really need to be a scientist to figure there's going to be more injuries than usual.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sweet! Might get to see the boys this season after all! He’ll, the border might even be hassle free for the Seattle game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Interesting that after the past 2 months of last minute postponements the NHL confident enough to cram so many games into such a short period. Literally 1 hiccup and the whole thing crumbles.

Its the best they could do (I'm being kind here)!

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
That's a lot of Gabriels Sens Game Night Specials in a short time.

Sens will be dead tired and I will be 400lbs.

Reactions: Matsens15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad