OT: SCF Jersey Customization

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
I have an authentic black jersey that I plan to customize with a SCF patch and a player. My plan right now is to send it away through the booth at Staples to get it done right. Has anyone here done that before? How is the quality? Is there anything specific I need to know about matching the 2012 names and numbers? I'm assuming they're using the same styles now as they did then.

Also, I've gone back and forth on which player to get. My gut says Brown since he was the first King to ever raise the Cup, but obviously there are several good choices. I'm curious as to what player others here would pick and why (Not asking you to decide for me, just your thoughts).

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd go Jonathan Quick as he's a badass and my favorite current King. I have never used Staples, but I have used RiverCity Sports for a few sweaters and their quality is very good.

https://www.rivercitysports.com/US/index.cfm

They usually have promotions so keep an eye out for that.

And if you do go the Staples route, make sure they use the actual numbers as I've seen them use that ugly number 1 before which looks terrible.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
I'd go Jonathan Quick as he's a badass and my favorite current King. I have never used Staples, but I have used RiverCity Sports for a few sweaters and their quality is very good.

https://www.rivercitysports.com/US/index.cfm

They usually have promotions so keep an eye out for that.

And if you do go the Staples route, make sure they use the actual numbers as I've seen them use that ugly number 1 before which looks terrible.

Thanks RP! Quick is definitely one on my short list, he was MVP after all. I only have to worry about the infamous "1" if I get a Kopi or a Richards. Does River City match the materials used on the names/numbering? I ask because I know the Kings use that sparkly metallic silver outline on the numbers.

Also, does anyone know if they used nameplates or did they sew the names directly on the jersey? This is my first authentic. I usually can't pay the extra money, but for this I want to get it right.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Thanks RP! Quick is definitely one on my short list, he was MVP after all. I only have to worry about the infamous "1" if I get a Kopi or a Richards. Does River City match the materials used on the names/numbering? I ask because I know the Kings use that sparkly metallic silver outline on the numbers.

Also, does anyone know if they used nameplates or did they sew the names directly on the jersey? This is my first authentic. I usually can't pay the extra money, but for this I want to get it right.

Hmmm, good question, but I don't know. :o

I have two international ones from them and my personal King ones (two) were done by a family friend (he bought the authentic number/name kit and owns a professional embroidery shop). I would call and ask, but I can say with certainty everything they do, regardless of which team, is 100% authentic to the on ice product. I will say my Team Canada ones are absolutely flawless and exceeded my high expectations. They feel like an extremely high quality product when you wear it and are certainly worth the price. Here is what their site says...

Custom lettering is all hand cut and sewn. All lettering meets the specific design parameters of each individual team, and is exactly as worn by the pros on the ice. Customization features either 1, 2, or 3 color tackle twill numbers and letters (depending on individual team style). Lettering is hand cut and sewn using authentic 'z-stitch' technique. For most teams, names are sewn first to a nameplate, and then sewn to the jersey. All customization orders include: name/nameplate, large back numbers, and two sets of sleeve numbers. Price includes option to add a Captain's 'C' or Alternate's 'A' to the front left chest. Standard commemorative patches are available too.

Please allow a minimum of 3-4 weeks for any customizing. Lettering and numbers of NHL players meet the approval of the NHLPA (NHL Players Association). If you have any questions about customizing your jersey, please contact us at [email protected] or at 1-800-950-8201.
All customized orders are final sale, and may not be returned or exchanged.

I would still call to make sure though for specifics.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
Thank you both for the info. I'll be doing some more research. I'm still curious to see who others would pick to customize from that 2012 SC team. For myself I think I've narrowed it down to:

Brown - Captain; First King ever to hoist the Cup
Quick - Conn Smythe; Cup playoff beast
Doughty - Solid winner
Kopitar - General favorite player
Richards - Love his work and attitude

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
IF it were Me ... and I will do the same one of these days before long BTW ... I'd go with BROWN.

Allows you to add the C ... and like you said how can you not go with the First LA King to lift the CUP.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
If you want it done right this is who does the kings jerseys.
http://bobcatathletic.com/index.html

don't go through Staples, Team LA, etc. your jersey will likely get turned into a ***** show. if you do they likely will send it to any customizer based on turnaround time and the quality and detail will range dramatically.

contact Bobcat. be prepared to wait....and wait, but know it will be done the right way.

http://exclusivepro.com/
this is another top end custom shop as an option that i know does Kings jerseys correctly

Cat1025

Jun 13, 2008
SCV
Especially with an authentic, don't use Staples. They are just an iron-on. They really messed up one of our friend's jersey's at the last game. It wasn't just a bad job. They ruined the jersey. She did get compensated, but she was still quite ticked off.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I've never seen Staples work, but the guys running the kiosk when I've been there didn't seem like they were interested in doing it.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
I wasn't planning on using the Staples booth per se. Supposedly, there's an option at the booth to get the jersey sent off. You pay extra, but they sew the numbers on. It takes a day or two (you pick it up at the next game you attend). That's what I was planning on. BUT with all this new info from you guys, I might have to reconsider that idea.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Icejerseys.com is another awesome site for customization. I got my Kopitar white jersey with Cup patch and the lettering and stitching is perfect.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I wasn't planning on using the Staples booth per se. Supposedly, there's an option at the booth to get the jersey sent off. You pay extra, but they sew the numbers on. It takes a day or two (you pick it up at the next game you attend). That's what I was planning on. BUT with all this new info from you guys, I might have to reconsider that idea.

that's what i meant. they will send it out to any number of customizers they use. the quality will be crap 9 times out of 10.

be patient and send it to the pros. Bobcat literally will take weeks to months for a one-off customer owned jersey. be patient though and know it will done right the first time.

in many cases once a jersey gets customized there is no going back and changing it. once the glue gets applied it will leave residue. in some cases like LA the jerseys don't have nameplates, so each letter is individually sewn on. to strip a jersey with individual letters can be a pain. etc.....

thefizzle656

Aug 31, 2013
Orange County, CA
I second the opinion to go with Bobcat. I've had jerseys done there (including a Brown SCF 2012 authentic) and while you will definitely have to wait a while (can take a few months), you know that they are going to do them right the first time and they are awesome. I wouldn't send a Kings jersey anywhere else.

For me, I felt that I had to go with Brown as he was the first Long to hoist the Cup. As Kopitar is probably my favorite player I'm picking up a second Home authentic to have done as a Kopitar SCF 2012.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I'll post some close ups of my RiverCity customized one if you decide to go that route.

i would even avoid them. Icejerseys, coolhockey...all the big online sellers in fact. quite a few mistakes and horror stories about the work they do. they are good for purchasing blanks, but not for customization.

hate to piss on your parade RP, not trying to be a dick. just passing along opinions and reviews from other collectors on a jersey site im a member on.

i've got a guy that has done a Simmer jersey for me and i have another to ship to him for a Gretzky. he does jerseys as a hobby, does quality work. it's a matter of having the necessary materials for each jersey so it is done accurately. not sure though if he's done any of the new Reebok jerseys though. his turnaround is pretty quick and comparable in price.

thefizzle656

Aug 31, 2013
Orange County, CA
Well, I'm pickier than hell and my Team Canada one exceeded my expectations. And it was only $40.

Maybe River City can do the Team Canada jerseys well, but I've also heard many stories of them and other retailers screwing up jerseys for NHL teams. Fonts and sizes being off, nameplates being used when there shouldn't be, etc.

If you want customization to be 100% correct guaranteed, your best bet is always to go to the team customizer.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I haven't read into it. All my Kings ones were done by a close family friend who does professional embroidery and it was done using the official kit. Best of all it was free.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

I have had some jerseys done at rive city sports and the did very good high quality work. Does Staples Center still use the pressed on numbers when you have it done there. If so that's trashy work.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
no on the nameplates btw. just saw this

LA hasn't used nameplates iirc since 1992. it's around that time.

the silver 'sparkly' material has been kind of hit or miss with some places. i don't recall specifics but some collectors have been getting jerseys back with a 'like' material and not the actual material.

this goes back to what i was talking about when it comes to the proper materials. numbers and letters are often times different. then add in correct font, size of font, correct stitch and it is easy to see how and why customizers can mess this up. yes, correct stitch. there are collectors out there that can tell you the type of stitch a team uses on jerseys. it is that detailed

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
no on the nameplates btw. just saw this

LA hasn't used nameplates iirc since 1992. it's around that time.

the silver 'sparkly' material has been kind of hit or miss with some places. i don't recall specifics but some collectors have been getting jerseys back with a 'like' material and not the actual material.

this goes back to what i was talking about when it comes to the proper materials. numbers and letters are often times different. then add in correct font, size of font, correct stitch and it is easy to see how and why customizers can mess this up. yes, correct stitch. there are collectors out there that can tell you the type of stitch a team uses on jerseys. it is that detailed

Would a place like Bobcat's have a hard time finding that silver material? Or would they have it available since they do the team's jerseys?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Would a place like Bobcat's have a hard time finding that silver material? Or would they have it available since they do the team's jerseys?

they will have the materials on hand, but ask. always ask.

it comes down to the owner of the jersey to convey exactly what you want and to set expectations. the fact that Bobcat does the teams jerseys, means some of this is a mute point. this is why you look to a team's customizer.

usually you can just order a kit from the customizer and have it sent to you and then have someone else actually apply it. the issue here is they can mess up the placement and spacing of the letters and numbers.

it all comes down to how anal and detail oriented you wish to be with the sacred cloth that is your LA jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad