Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 4 - Back to Boston - Best of 3 - Series tied 2-2 - PART 2

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Regardless of how many Cups he won, it’s a dou***bag look. Can you picture Yzerman, Bourque, Chara, Bergeron or countless other ex-players doing that.

I could picture Marchand doing that

Like I mentioned before, whoever wins game 5 will go on to win the Stanley Cup.

I'm sure this has been said by somebody for every gm 5 in the history of the NHL when the series is tied 2-2.

Reactions: Kate08

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes they did well but the offense was producing goals 5 on 5. Right now they can't buy a goal. I sincerely hope you are right but I have major doubts.

As I said earlier this week. Every time I have doubted this team all year, they have responded. In the playoffs, Game 4 vs CBJ, Games 6/7 vs TOR.

Based on that, I still have faith they win the series.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I keep having visions of Chara coming out of the lockerroom in Boston in game 7 to collect the Cup, and the Boston crowd roaring loudly for their captain.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This is almost completely off topic (and I have no room to talk because I should drop about 40 pounds), but it’s kind of funny (given that they were professional athletes) that a lot of these star players pack on the pounds after they retire (Bourque comes to mind).

Hull looks like he ate Darren Pang.
I don’t think it’s surprising at all. These guys went 20 years eating 10,000 calories a day. They would never have had to watch a single thing they eat with respect to gaining weight. For many of them it’s about eating more than they need during their playing years given how much energy they burn in training and on the ice. They have effectively taught themselves to eat despite being full to maximize energy production. This is great if you are doing high intensity workouts multiple hours a day.

Unless they are committed to multiple hours a day in the gym in retirement, they would need to completely relearn how to eat. That would be a really difficult adjustment in my mind.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
This is almost completely off topic (and I have no room to talk because I should drop about 40 pounds), but it’s kind of funny (given that they were professional athletes) that a lot of these star players pack on the pounds after they retire (Bourque comes to mind).

Happens to high school athletes that don't play in college too. (ex: me)

You are used to eating xxxx calories for training/games. Then you stop training, but continue to eat the same way.

I'm sure Bourque could've closed down a buffet in his day, then burned it all off with a workout and game.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

It happens to A Lot of former athletes. You get used to eating a certain number of calories because you have to due to how many you're burning. Then you stop burning those calories but don't change your esting/drinking habits. My son still battles what he did to himself in high school to go from football season to wrestling season. :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Spooner st

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Bruins have done it over and over, again and again, all season long as soon as you think their done, down and out, too injured, they should trade every one or call-up so and so, bench Rask or have Chara Retire. They bounce back and prove everyone wrong.

I expect nothing more once again in game 5, they've been unbelievably resilient the entire season and I see no reason heading into tomorrow night, and being only 2 wins away from the ultimate prize that they will fall flat on their faces

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
personally, I think losing Chara could work out in the bruins favor and here's why:

In most hockey games, you're either the hammer, or you're the nail.

The bruins were NEVER going to be the hammer in this series. When you're a generic home depot hammer, and your opponent is Mjolnir...you're not winning that battle.

So losing chara means you lose three things: Leadership, physical presence,and pk ability

Leadership: If this bruins team cant get it done with the guys they have minus chara, that's on them

PK: The blues powerplay is trash, and the bruins looked great on the PK even after chara left

Physical presence: Chara can only do so much,and to this point, he hasn't balanced out this gameplay. The bruins need to win another way. They aren't going to out hammer Mjolnir

The bruins play better when they lose a guy like chara. The rest of the line up steps up, and this is what we need right now

chara or no chara, pastrnak and marchand need to play like they can. And I believe chara's absence will be what finally motivates them to do so.

Last, if they play with 7 d and subtract backes. You just added a ton of speed to your line up, and you're more covered if another D goes down. We've lost both games when having to play 5 d and won both games we had 6 d in.

NOW...here's the question. Say the bruins win game 5 without chara or gryzz....do you put Chara back in if he wants to go in game 6? I say no. I say try to win game 6 and then put him in game 7 if you really feel like it's needed. At that point you're leaving it all out there. If chara wants to lay up all summer with a sore face for a chance for the cup, that's his decision. But we still have some room to work with here

Reactions: Save By Thomas

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I keep having visions of Chara coming out of the lockerroom in Boston in game 7 to collect the Cup, and the Boston crowd roaring loudly for their captain.
That would be awesome,but so would him coming out on the ice in St.Louis to boos
That would be awesome,so would him coming until the ice in game six in St.Louis to be bood.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
personally, I think losing Chara could work out in the bruins favor and here's why:

In most hockey games, you're either the hammer, or you're the nail.

The bruins were NEVER going to be the hammer in this series. When you're a generic home depot hammer, and your opponent is Mjolnir...you're not winning that battle.

So losing chara means you lose three things: Leadership, physical presence,and pk ability

Leadership: If this bruins team cant get it done with the guys they have minus chara, that's on them

PK: The blues powerplay is trash, and the bruins looked great on the PK even after chara left

Physical presence: Chara can only do so much,and to this point, he hasn't balanced out this gameplay. The bruins need to win another way. They aren't going to out hammer Mjolnir

The bruins play better when they lose a guy like chara. The rest of the line up steps up, and this is what we need right now

chara or no chara, pastrnak and marchand need to play like they can. And I believe chara's absence will be what finally motivates them to do so.

Last, if they play with 7 d and subtract backes. You just added a ton of speed to your line up, and you're more covered if another D goes down. We've lost both games when having to play 5 d and won both games we had 6 d in.

NOW...here's the question. Say the bruins win game 5 without chara or gryzz....do you put Chara back in if he wants to go in game 6? I say no. I say try to win game 6 and then put him in game 7 if you really feel like it's needed. At that point you're leaving it all out there. If chara wants to lay up all summer with a sore face for a chance for the cup, that's his decision. But we still have some room to work with here

You make some very good points. If Grizz can come back in the line-up. I think I actually like the bruins chances better. I love big Z and what he's brought over the years and he has a good playoffs but hasn't been great in these finals and with a healthy Grizz back and add in Moore's skating ability, I think it will give the bruins a lot better chance of exiting their zone and slowing down the Blues fore-check.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Happens to high school athletes that don't play in college too. (ex: me)

You are used to eating xxxx calories for training/games. Then you stop training, but continue to eat the same way.

I'm sure Bourque could've closed down a buffet in his day, then burned it all off with a workout and game.

I get this. In my own experience this has happened. I was working out 5 days a week, got down to my target weight, eating healthy. I actually got too skinny, and increased my caloric intake. That was fine, until time constraints led to less working out and I slowly put the weight back on.

I just think it’s “funny” because these guys have to take care of their body so much during their playing days (or maybe they don’t).

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I get this. In my own experience this has happened. I was working out 5 days a week, got down to my target weight, eating healthy. I actually got too skinny, and increased my caloric intake. That was fine, until time constraints led to less working out and I slowly put the weight back on.

I just think it’s “funny” because these guys have to take care of their body so much during their playing days (or maybe they don’t).

I think this has a lot to do with why you see some athletes in general get bigger after they retire. Some of it's due to they don't have to go through the rigors of staying in shape and being ultra disciplined (for most anyway) about what they eat. I'm sure it's a lot of "Hey I'm retired, I can eat and drink what I want now and I don't have to kill myself to stay in shape anymore"

And the other reason might be genetics. For some people as they age it's really hard to keep the weight off without having to really work at it

Reactions: Spooner st

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
It will be very interesting to see which of these two very different defense pairings come out on top the last 3 games. Whichever team it is might even set the tone for future teams to copycat, as happens with so many cup champs.
The Bruins smaller and quicker defensemen against:

Pietrangelo 6' 3" 210
Parayko 6' 6" 230
Bouwmeester 6' 4" 206
Gunnerson 6' 2" 200
Dunn 6'0 203
Edmundson 6'4" 215

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->