GDT: SCF Game #3 ★ Dallas Stars vs Tampa Bay Lightning , 7:00 PM CT ★ NBCSN, CBC , SN ★ Series tied 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Its all about Game 4. Biggest game for the team in 20 years.

Win it and its anyones series. Lose and were toast.

Throw it all on the line game 4. Need alot better 1st period defense. Praying Faksa and Comeau can go

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah that makes sense. I'm sure Seguin is really psyched about waiving his full NMC for a team that's not really a contender and has one of the highest tax rates in the league. That seems like a really plausible trade.

Montreal seems pretty desperate too for a center after 2 young centers broke out in the bubble for them.
You really overstate the tax thing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Realize I didn't say this clearly ... $10,656,960 is the difference in taxes between Montreal and Dallas. That's how much extra money he loses by waiving. If nearly $11 million seems like overstating ... you could also say that decision costs you about 14% of your contract.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Realize I didn't say this clearly ... $10,656,960 is the difference in taxes between Montreal and Dallas. That's how much extra money he loses by waiving. If nearly $11 million seems like overstating ... you could also say that decision costs you about 14% of your contract.
You do realize there's a million and one tax loopholes athletes can use and that it is not as black and white as you or that "tax calculator" tries to make it appear.

Reactions: Gains

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
As long as you realize they don't make an $11 million difference in tax rate disappear. I guess I'm just curious if you or anyone else actually thinks Seguin gets traded?

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Blake is prolly done for a couple of months. Time to bring in T Delandrea (sp.). Tonight's game was an embarrassment – TB players kept yelling from the bench – and nothing changed in Dallas' play. We got pissed on

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I am surprised they did not hit them more in the 3rd. Should have taken every chance they could even if it was a bit late.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Blake is prolly done for a couple of months. Time to bring in T Delandrea (sp.). Tonight's game was an embarrassment – TB players kept yelling from the bench – and nothing changed in Dallas' play. We got pissed on

Will Faksa come back? Been over 2 weeks since injury?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If taxes were the only factor in player decisions, places like Toronto and Montreal and San Jose and New York would never sign free agents. It's never thst simple. Plenty of guys leave tax money on the table because they want to play one place versus another. He's already had one nice contract. If he wants a change, his standard of living over the course of his life won't be affected in the slightest if he goes to any NHL city.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Glad I didn't watch. It leaves me much more positive about this team than had I seen them completely shit the bed like you guys are saying. Gotta take game 4.

And as much as I'd like to, and as easy as it would be to hate on Seguin, he might end up doing something big for this team yet. I'm not a fan, never have been but I really hope he can provide a spark yet, games are running out though.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
You do realize there's a million and one tax loopholes athletes can use and that it is not as black and white as you or that "tax calculator" tries to make it appear.

To add to that, here's an interesting conversation with Allan Walsh (NHL agent), who explains how the difference between playing in a tax-free state vs Canada is negligible when you know what to do as an agent.

I'll paraphrase, but he says that with an accountant, there are RCAs (Retirement Compensation Arrangement) that a player can do to get the same amount he would get in a state like Florida.

Walsh: NHL should go to luxury tax system

Around the 4 minute mark.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Let's face it, we gifted that game to the Bolts. A turnover by Miro, a missed hip check by Esa, and we are down 2 goals early. Probably not too many wins come with 2.5 free goals. Yes, the 0.5, IMHO, is Rads getting that late period reputation mostly penalty, gifting the Bolts a PP on clean ice.

Add in at least 2.5 missed shots on great scoring chances, and voila, you get a 5-2 game.

I also think Cooper has figured out Bone's breakout system and countered with a strong forecheck to stop our rushes, cause turnovers, etc. Bowness did a good job of tweaking with several weeks to think about it, but the "book" on him is he is slow to correct things in games and maybe in series.

I think they put up a good fight in game 4, but somehow screw it up, then get demoralized, the cave in game 5 on the back to back. Just MHO.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Let's face it, we gifted that game to the Bolts. A turnover by Miro, a missed hip check by Esa, and we are down 2 goals early. Probably not too many wins come with 2.5 free goals. Yes, the 0.5, IMHO, is Rads getting that late period reputation mostly penalty, gifting the Bolts a PP on clean ice.

Add in at least 2.5 missed shots on great scoring chances, and voila, you get a 5-2 game.

I also think Cooper has figured out Bone's breakout system and countered with a strong forecheck to stop our rushes, cause turnovers, etc. Bowness did a good job of tweaking with several weeks to think about it, but the "book" on him is he is slow to correct things in games and maybe in series.

I think they put up a good fight in game 4, but somehow screw it up, then get demoralized, the cave in game 5 on the back to back. Just MHO.

I agree. If changes aren’t made TB is taking the cup on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad