Series Discussion SCF | ★★★ STARS ★★★ vs. lame sky flashes | TBL leads 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hanley has been good filling in on that bottom pairing but he’s at best a 7th defender

There's plenty of teams around the league dressing worse defeseman on a regular basis because of size and all that. The big lumbering third pairing defenseman trope still exists even though it really shouldn't. Just dress a guy you can play for 10-15 minutes that doesn't f*** up and can handle the puck a bit. At this point i don't think you can play without mobile defenseman on any pairing anymore outside of some grizzled vets like Sekera who have enough experience that they can compensate with positioning.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
There's plenty of teams around the league dressing worse defeseman on a regular basis because of size and all that. The big lumbering third pairing defenseman trope still exists even though it really shouldn't. Just dress a guy you can play for 10-15 minutes that doesn't f*** up and can handel the puck a bit.

I’m not arguing that. When I say he’s a 7th defender I mean ideally that’s where I want him on the depth chart. He’s proven he can be a bottom pairing guy, but I still think you want someone a little better when filling out a cup contending roster.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’m not arguing that. When I say he’s a 7th defender I mean ideally that’s where I want him on the depth chart. He’s proven he can be a bottom pairing guy, but I still think you want someone a little better when filling out a cup contending roster.

I'm just saying there's now a good chance a team would pick Hanley up on waivers if you try to sneak him onto an AHL roster.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
There's plenty of teams around the league dressing worse defeseman on a regular basis because of size and all that. The big lumbering third pairing defenseman trope still exists even though it really shouldn't. Just dress a guy you can play for 10-15 minutes that doesn't f*** up and can handle the puck a bit. At this point i don't think you can play without mobile defenseman on any pairing anymore outside of some grizzled vets like Sekera who have enough experience that they can compensate with positioning.

Shapiro is particularly pumping this idea as well. His play has seemed to pick up and get better the further the Stars advance. Stars were going to have to save money somewhere, and I imagine his play has solidified that will be on defense. I definitely feel less anxious about needing a more established veteran. Worst case scenario, you can add a decent 3rd pair D at the deadline for a 3rd round pick or later most years.

I feel like the no brainer move at this point on defense is to role with what you have ... do a hard sell on Bayreuther and/or Heatherington to not go test greener pastures to keep the depth solid. If they move on .. so be it. There's plenty of AHL/NHL tweeners who will take a 2-way deal.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Unless Johns will be able to play next season, even with Hanley we would still need another D. Whether they sign Sekera to another 1 year deal or Harley makes the team, but with Nill he won’t just hand him a spot

but I do agree that Hanley had earned a spot next year. We still have Fedun as a 7th D

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I would rather see us sign a decent RHD to play with Harley than give Hanley a shot. Love him but he’s just too low on the depth chart.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I was super suprised Sekera somehow managed to get back into the game last night. The team clearly needed him to so the top 4 could get some more breathers but that looked very painful. If he can't play tomorow that'd be another penalty killer lost.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Lord help us if Sekera is out tomorrow. I thought he’s been steady and solid for us since first round. How can we possibly put out a Hanley and Fedun pairing without them being a huge liability

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Also I found it interesting Bones said in post game conference yesterday that Dobby ASKED to have the net for game 5. I’m sure they were going with him anyway, but hearing how Dobby wanted it just shows how much of a battler that guy is. Love to see that from your tendy.

Reactions: sportswastaken

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
We seem to be losing a player to an injury every game now. Hopefully Sekera is able to play

Fedun - Hanley would be killer on my nerves lol

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
There really aren't. And the ones that did, and had skill elsewhere on their team, did pretty well. The Stars were the tallest team in the league this past season so if anyone overvalues size it would be them. But Tampa ran Schenn and Bogosian all the way to a Stanley Cup Final until Rutta came back.

When you say "just get a guy that doesn't f*** up", like, that's not so easy. And I think it's easy to take it for granted as a fan of an elite defensive team. But that's part of what separates the mediocre teams from the elite teams. A 3rd pairing that can actually go out there and not get victimized. It's not as though when Chicago trots out Adam Boqvist and Slater Koekkoek or when Toronto trots out Travis Dermott and Justin Holl, or Caleb Jones and Matt Benning for Edmonton, or Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz in Pittsburgh, the list goes on. It's not as if those teams ran with "big lumbering third pairing" defensive defensemen. Take Jonas Seigenthaler on Washington for example. He was absolutely lit up in the playoffs. Great skater...the rest not so much.

The commonality with all these under-performing teams isn't a preference for hulking-stay-at-home defensemen. I think the teams that made it far into the playoffs had a lot of success signing veteran stay-at-home defensemen with a lot of experience to their third-pairings. The one outlier is Zach Whitecloud, who was arguably the best defensive defenseman in the playoffs, was a UFA discovery. But it does seem that these veteran blue-liners bring a lot to the table so long as they can keep things tidy in their own end.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Key for game 6. Throw the puck at the net. All shots are good shots. Some are great shots. But rebounds are the key to Dallas goals.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
One takeaway from this run that I hope stays is that I hope we never hear Klingberg slander again. Idiotic take.
Yeah but also this is hockey and what has he done for me lately always rules

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I know this is two years away ... but I was really surprised the rumor is Boston is only offering Krug $6.5 million. I always saw him in a similar class as Klingberg who I assumed was going to be in the $8 to $9 million range in 2 years.

Klingberg hate will likely only intensify when he gets that deal.

I really liked seeing Klingberg and Heiskanen both on the top unit. I've said it in the thread for next season, but I think that's probably what will/should happen next season. Long-term, they could be lethal together. I'm hoping that both end up signing contracts that can fit within Dallas' cap situation. Heiskanen could sign as soon as October. Klinger could sign a deal in July. At least there will be some clarity in that situation soon.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I really liked seeing Klingberg and Heiskanen both on the top unit. I've said it in the thread for next season, but I think that's probably what will/should happen next season.
This would be ideal if they also decide to leave Klingberg out for the 2nd unit. Not a huge fan of Lindell on the PP, especially with how much he PKs.

Hmm maybe they bring Harley up and let him do it. :thumbu:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I know this is two years away ... but I was really surprised the rumor is Boston is only offering Krug $6.5 million. I always saw him in a similar class as Klingberg who I assumed was going to be in the $8 to $9 million range in 2 years.

Klingberg hate will likely only intensify when he gets that deal.

I really liked seeing Klingberg and Heiskanen both on the top unit. I've said it in the thread for next season, but I think that's probably what will/should happen next season. Long-term, they could be lethal together. I'm hoping that both end up signing contracts that can fit within Dallas' cap situation. Heiskanen could sign as soon as October. Klinger could sign a deal in July. At least there will be some clarity in that situation soon.

Harley will probably force their hand on that as well in the future. We’re going to have three defenders that we want on the PP so something is gonna have to give.

But I agree that I’d really like to see it tonight. These guys are playing enough for one or the other to take a 90+ second shift on a PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad