Series Discussion SCF | ★★★ STARS ★★★ vs. lame sky flashes | TBL leads 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Excited to play against Tampa. To be the best you gotta beat the best

This is a good way to look at it actually. Don't deserve the Cup unless you can beat any team in the league. Tampa is the best imo, so they're right where they should be. Stars need to prove they can best them now.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This is a good way to look at it actually. Don't deserve the Cup unless you can beat any team in the league. Tampa is the best imo, so they're right where they should be. Stars need to prove they can best them now.

Yep and it would be a perfect way to cap off a run after being a heavy underdog to Colorado, then Vegas, then Tampa. I’m excited for it and it should be a hell of a series

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
good luck guys, lightning are a good team but currently banged up pretty good. point is playing but doesnt look like his normal self last game, kutcherov is also off, and stamkos who knows WTF is going on. A defenseman (Hedman) scored most of their goals the last couple of games. They should be pretty hobbled for at least game one especially on only two days rest. You guys should hit them hard and often

Good luck and go Stars!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Yeah, but don't make us give back the 1999 Cup against a sixth seed.....

It does seem as if TB is losing some energy. If Stars win, I'm sure the same voices that said they got all the breaks so far will rise up. And, as before, they will be partially right. You need all the breaks to win in a parity league.

It does seem that the NYI defense was able to contain the TB offense over the last few games, excluding the first one. DAL and NYI play similar defenses, giving me hope for the "underdog" Stars.

Either way, I feel like it was quite an accomplishment to get to the finals. I will be disappointed if they lose, but certainly not depressed or suicidal...(probably a bad reference, I know, but some sports fans feel that way) I want the Stars to win in 4 or 5 of course, but will feel okay if it goes 7 and we have a nail biting final game.

Go Stars!

Camille the Eel

Haven’t been watching lately but I have heard on other threads that Seguin is playing hurt and am wondering what’s dinged him up and how effective he is right now?

Watched him start his career in Boston and when he’s 100% he’s one of the best forwards in the league. A gifted scorer for sure but early on his vision and passing, the creativity, were as or more striking.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Haven’t been watching lately but I have heard on other threads that Seguin is playing hurt and am wondering what’s dinged him up and how effective he is right now?

Watched him start his career in Boston and when he’s 100% he’s one of the best forwards in the league. A gifted scorer for sure but early on his vision and passing, the creativity, were as or more striking.

Something on his hands/arms. He barely even tries to shoot. Still good on the dot and all put he's not really an option to take shots in his current situation whatever it exactly is.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Am I crazy or is anyone else happy we got Tampa instead of NYI? I think our style of play matches up better against TB than NYI to be honest.

If we play similar to the Vegas series and keep TB talent to the outside we should be okay. After playing Colorado’s big line, Tampa’s big line doesn’t really scare me. Biggest thing will be to keep them off the PP and we’re gonna need Dobby to steal a game or two. And we are going to have to try and stop that Hedman guy. He’s been insane.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Am I crazy or is anyone else happy we got Tampa instead of NYI? I think our style of play matches up better against TB than NYI to be honest.

If we play similar to the Vegas series and keep TB talent to the outside we should be okay. After playing Colorado’s big line, Tampa’s big line doesn’t really scare me. Biggest thing will be to keep them off the PP and we’re gonna need Dobby to steal a game or two. And we are going to have to try and stop that Hedman guy. He’s been insane.
I think as far as stylistically yeah Tampa is probably a better match up, they struggled to get through the Islanders and imo we're better than they are at least in terms of personnel and play the same way but that said I would always rather have the lesser skilled team

Camille the Eel

Playing Tampa you can’t watch the puck. And you have to stop the cross ice passes. They live on that. Stop the puck crossing the ice in your end. Be conscious of it all the time. Make them try to take it to the hole, don’t let their guys just move it past you.

Also playing a heavy game and your power play will be keys. Once you hit them, they become a dirty, cheap shot club to make up for their lack of weight. Make them pay for those penalties.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
B's fan here. You guys are our last hope! Get ready, because this Tampa team is very hatable.

The Stars on the other hand, very likeable in my eyes. I've always been a big fan Benn and Pavelski. Heiskanen is truly special young talent. Obviously I wish I was still watching Seguin on the Bruins, but I don't fault the player for our GM making a terrible trade! Would be cool to see him get another ring. And seeing Dobby having success with you guys is rad.

tl;dr: F*** Tampa, Go Dallas!!!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Pretty crazy that this right here is gonna be the defining moment in the Seguin and Benn generation in Dallas. They have a chance to make it all a success and their contracts worth it right here. Everything else will be forgotten/forgiven if they can bring Dallas the Cup.

Quite possibly and more than likely the last opportunity they'll have ever.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I was going to wait until the playoffs were over because I didn’t want to jinx anything- and I’ll rail against it after, but the narrative that this is somehow their last shot I don’t go with at all. Like not even a little bit.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I was going to wait until the playoffs were over because I didn’t want to jinx anything- and I’ll rail against it after, but the narrative that this is somehow their last shot I don’t go with at all. Like not even a little bit.

Considering the circumstances, the age of the team, the likelihood of making the Cup finals, etc. All those things considered, it's a very high chance that this is their last shot (the veterans on the team). And another team is about to be added to the mix as well. It's not easy to make it to the Cup Finals so theres no reason to expect they'll do it again within the next few years. It's possible, but more than likely they won't. They need to play like it's their only and last shot is what I mean.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We have the oldest team in the NHL.
We have no elite prospects coming, and very few that will make the nhl in a meaningful way.
Our top players have already showed signs of or started to regress.
We've been lucky that are over reliance on ufas hasn't blown up spectacularly yet with another lotto pick, I can see the team being in the mix next year maybe the year after but
Were pretty much at the ceiling of our potential, it's not like with our teams age they're going to get better. Most are at their peak or already trending down.
Then if you look around other teams we'd have to get through, most are trending up and on the young side.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think we have another year or two where everything could go right, but when you're this close, you have to make the most of it.

Colorado and St. Louis are an absolute gauntlet and you just can't ever rely on getting past one or both in a single season.

We're not totally out of it next year, but it's very unlikely we get another chance like this.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think we have another year or two where everything could go right, but when you're this close, you have to make the most of it.

Colorado and St. Louis are an absolute gauntlet and you just can't ever rely on getting past one or both in a single season.

We're not totally out of it next year, but it's very unlikely we get another chance like this.

With Benn and Seguin at the forefront its unlikely . Alot will depend on how next season looks like. A normal regular season slog i don't think Benn will ever fully come healthy out of again. With the pandemic and all the time off that he got this here is pretty much the best Benn that we can get and he's also fully motivated which also hasn't allways happened.

I mean there was that one sequence in game 5 where he took the puck of Whitecloud i think , threw the kid into the boards and then proceeded to try and go through Lehner.

That type of Jamie Benn is not sustainable for a full season anymore. If it wasn't looked down on in hockey i'd say try to load manage Benn the next couple of season to squeeze more playoffs runs like this out of him but thats just never gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad