scattered thoughts

jessejames

Sep 1, 2009
Carberry, MB, Canada
I seldom contribute here, though often read the commentary, so excuse me if I seem maybe a little intimidated.

The Blues winning it all last season was so huge. I was overwhelmed. It's very peculiar that the success of a sports team can make such a positive impact on the general spirit of someone far, far removed from that same club. Living vicariously. It is what it is.

Getting back to the Blues, I am still somewhat surprised by their winning ways. There's no real standout players or so-called superstars, excepting perhaps Pietro. No Orr, Gretzky, Lafleur, Robinson, Clarke, Messier, Plante, Howe, Hull, Savard, Crosby, etc. -- names (almost all from way back when) that I associate with Stanley Cup winners. There's nobody of that caliber. What there is instead is a group of athletes playing in a fashion that is within their abilities and doing so correctly. A Tarasenko gets hurt, a Parayko gets injured, no problem. Other players step in and do what they can to fill the roles.

Another thing -- the Blues have never had as good a defense as they do now. The defensemen and the overall system are stifling to opponents. Yeah, there's the odd breakdown but that is the nature of hockey. And, yes, there was a time of Pronger and Big Al Mac, but then there was not the quality of supporting cast on D.

Of course, I love the goaltending as well. Both of them. Allen, at his best, is every bit as good as Binner, if not better, but we all know too well how he can be at other times.

'

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Who can figure out goaltending? The Blues had to make a tough decision when Elliot wanted a new deal. They decided to trade Elliot and go with Allen.

Allen trended down as a starter, and wound up looking terrible. He didn't even seem to be competent back-up.

But Allen has been very good lately. I could definitely see the Blues winning a playoff series or two with Allen in goal.

And Jesse, welcome to the forum.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I seldom contribute here, though often read the commentary, so excuse me if I seem maybe a little intimidated.

The Blues winning it all last season was so huge. I was overwhelmed. It's very peculiar that the success of a sports team can make such a positive impact on the general spirit of someone far, far removed from that same club. Living vicariously. It is what it is.

Getting back to the Blues, I am still somewhat surprised by their winning ways. There's no real standout players or so-called superstars, excepting perhaps Pietro. No Orr, Gretzky, Lafleur, Robinson, Clarke, Messier, Plante, Howe, Hull, Savard, Crosby, etc. -- names (almost all from way back when) that I associate with Stanley Cup winners. There's nobody of that caliber. What there is instead is a group of athletes playing in a fashion that is within their abilities and doing so correctly. A Tarasenko gets hurt, a Parayko gets injured, no problem. Other players step in and do what they can to fill the roles.

Another thing -- the Blues have never had as good a defense as they do now. The defensemen and the overall system are stifling to opponents. Yeah, there's the odd breakdown but that is the nature of hockey. And, yes, there was a time of Pronger and Big Al Mac, but then there was not the quality of supporting cast on D.

Of course, I love the goaltending as well. Both of them. Allen, at his best, is every bit as good as Binner, if not better, but we all know too well how he can be at other times.

'
Welcome!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Who can figure out goaltending? The Blues had to make a tough decision when Elliot wanted a new deal. They decided to trade Elliot and go with Allen.

Allen trended down as a starter, and wound up looking terrible. He didn't even seem to be competent back-up.

But Allen has been very good lately. I could definitely see the Blues winning a playoff series or two with Allen in goal.

And Jesse, welcome to the forum.
Without Allen we wouldn't be Stanley Cup Champions. He was reason we fall down, team went shellshock, lost confidence, lost their identity, front office was forced to fire coach and bring new coach and goaltender and they were reason we're now Stanley Cup champs.

So credits goes to Allen to be what he's.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Allen’s ‘A’ game is easily as good as Binny’s ‘A’ game. It’s just that Allen had too many ‘C’ and ‘D’ games in the past. Binny doesn’t have those very often and doesn’t get rattled. His mental game is what sets him a part.

2019-20 Allen: .926 save%; 2.27 GAA
2019-20 Binnington: .915; 2.51 GAA

Not at all an Allen fan, but just putting this out there for shits and giggles.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Does it mean I can create #1 goaltender poll?

That’s not the question. You said Allen isn't better than Binnington even at his best, which isn’t true. Allen is easily as good as Binny when he’s at his best. The problem is his consistency and mental game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
2019-20 Allen: .926 save%; 2.27 GAA
2019-20 Binnington: .915; 2.51 GAA

Not at all an Allen fan, but just putting this out there for ****s and giggles.
This is called “sample size”. Binnington has played more than twice as many games. If Allen played that much his stats would be much worse.

Foomp Dugan

Mar 29, 2012
That’s not the question. You said Allen isn't better than Binnington even at his best, which isn’t true. Allen is easily as good as Binny when he’s at his best. The problem is his consistency and mental game.
Binnington’s fundamentals are much better than Allen’s as well. Allen slides around much more when he is under pressure. Binnington is rarely out of position.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Does it mean I can create #1 goaltender poll?

Binnington being the first rookie to win all 16 games as the Blues playoff starter owns all polls. That's two impossibles in one sentence.

Hell. Binny IS the poll. There is NO Blues netminder better than him. He brought the Cup to the Arch against Flying Orr Statue Boston. Erect his Save statue already lol.

Reactions: Ridge1982

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Without Allen we wouldn't be Stanley Cup Champions. He was reason we fall down, team went shellshock, lost confidence, lost their identity, front office was forced to fire coach and bring new coach and goaltender and they were reason we're now Stanley Cup champs.

So credits goes to Allen to be what he's.

Without Allen we might have won the Cup sooner lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->