Scariest PP Unit???

Which pp

• Total voters

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
It's a legitimate post. I think the Leafs have a scary good power play. We have plenty of evidence to suggest that they have a suspect defense though. So when the stars can load up on that top unit and dominate, it's really fun to watch. It's insanely lethal.

Sorry you're upset that I have made tongue in cheek remarks today though.

It's that you seem to think the Leafs are a bad 5on5 team. They've scored 3 times as many goals 5 on 5.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
It's that you seem to think the Leafs are a bad 5on5 team. They've scored 3 times as many goals 5 on 5.

I think their defense is bad at 5v5 and being free to go pure offense makes them the best power play unit. I never said they couldn't score 5v5.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Washington or Pittsburgh if we are taking history into account (they have been deadly for much of the past decade).

Toronto this season IMO.

Never felt so excited to go on a PP before. Every opportunity feels like it could easily be a goal. I’m sure they will run hot and cold but overall they should be extremely good.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I haven't seen all of these this year to comment. I will say Toronto is obviously scary, Philly is lethal. They can move the puck so quickly on the PP and they are lethal around the net, especially with Simmonds right on the side of the net.

Dallas had a pretty scary PP as well when they faced the Leafs. Washington is just stacked.

They are all scary. To rank by most "scary" is merely going to be picking the players you like the best basically. I think these units are so close that you can really separate them into a ranking because each has such a unique element to them.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Oilers #1 PP unit.... for all the wrong reasons.

I laughed out loud at this.
I'm sure the Oil PP has spooked the nightmares of many Oil faithful...
<rolling around in bed> "Ugh, no... don't ring it around, no... ugh, don't try a cross-blue line pass.... no.... why is this a 2 on 1 against us.... no... no... why... there's two dudes there, why are you dumping it in that corner."

I know the Calgary one was that scary last year.

That being said, this year, watch out. Gaudreau and Tkachuk both on the ice with deadly IQ, Monahan and Lindholm as pure triggermen, Gio at the point... it's been fun to watch this season (minus game one, which gave me them ol' timey nightmares from past season).

Gotta go with the Caps. You know Ovi's there. Try and stop him.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I like how post was made by leafs fan but he can't even spell Rielly right, their own player.

Lol. autocorrect got me! Anyhow pretty embarrassing considering i own a Morgan Fricken Rielly jersey.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
With Kuznetsov tapping on superstar status's door, it's hard not to vote for Washington. They have two of the best passers in the league and the Ovechcannon. All five guys play their roles perfectly and they're pretty much guaranteed to get Grade A chances every PP.

Pittsburgh's always scares the hell out of me because similar to Washington all five guys play their role almost to perfect. Toronto's is damn good too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With Kuznetsov tapping on superstar status's door, it's hard not to vote for Washington. They have two of the best passers in the league and the Ovechcannon. All five guys play their roles perfectly and they're pretty much guaranteed to get Grade A chances every PP.

Pittsburgh's always scares the hell out of me because similar to Washington all five guys play their role almost to perfect. Toronto's is damn good too.

Pittsburgh's actual puck movement is, arguably, the best and most lethal in hockey. The only knock on them is their limited one-time options, which tend to help for quick strike offense or for when the opposition PK is doing a tremendous job of not allowing tick-tack-toe passing.

Malkin's essentially their only one-time threat. Letang's shot is erratic and Kessel can't take a one-timer with his rubber stick.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pittsburgh's actual puck movement is, arguably, the best and most lethal in hockey. The only knock on them is their limited one-time options, which tend to help for quick strike offense or for when the opposition PK is doing a tremendous job of not allowing tick-tack-toe passing.

Malkin's essentially their only one-time threat. Letang's shot is erratic and Kessel can't take a one-timer with his rubber stick.

Yeah, it's absurd. I always expect them to score when they're on the PP. Where as the Caps have a few set plays that are still near impossible to stop, Pittsburgh's movement is something to behold.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Watching this Leafs PP is beyond entertaining. A lot of the time teams have a set strategy like having a set player control it along the side wall and then getting the puck to Ovi/Laine in their spot for a one timer. As predictable as it is, it's still difficult to stop with guys that talented.

But watching this top unit in TO, there's four guys out there at all times (everybody but Kadri) that seem to be controlling the play whenever they have the puck so it's so unpredictable which place the attack is coming from making it very difficult to defend. I haven't seen a team look this comfortable once they gain control in the zone in a long time. Hope they can keep it up.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
On paper:

Brown - Kopitar - Carter
Kovalcuk - Doughty

In reality:

Zero goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad