Scapegoat of the 2013 season?

General Granny*

Philips shouldn't even be in the NHL. That guy has been in the league for 60 years and still hasn't learned how to make a proper first pass, and how to handle the puck like a grenade on the stick.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Philips shouldn't even be in the NHL. That guy has been in the league for 60 years and still hasn't learned how to make a proper first pass, and how to handle the puck like a grenade on the stick.

He still hasn't learned how to handle the puck like a grenade = he's poised.

You mean to say "still hasn't learned how to make a proper first pass; he handles the puck like a grenade"

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A year or two prior the Cup run there was a nonsensical "Trade Alfie" campaign spearheaded by the dummies over at the Ottawa Sun.

True, in fact everyone goes through the scapegoating!

This thread is coming right after a horrible performance from Bishop.

Horrible for people who lacks insight and analysis. When you look at the goals closely, how much blame can be put on Bishop? Sure, he didn't steal the game but you guys are way out of bounds if you expect a goalie to steal every game and the team to go 82-0 on the year. Anderson and Lehner will fail too (I love them both more than Bishop, AINEC). Andy had some pretty rough games last year, but short memories I guess.

These threads are complete ****. It only hurts the team. Opposite of support. So gtfo

You're missing the point.

I'm not into blaming games, I find it weak and a pure waste of time. Personally, hockey is a passion and a big entertainment for me. There's real tragedies and problems in real life, hockey shouldn't be one.

This thread is just another attempt to put the light on the fickleness and ridiculousness of this board when things aren't perfectly going the way they wanted. Like a kid who didn't get his gift at christmas. People are a bit immature and have to learn to keep their cool. Temper expectations to realistic grounds would help too.

True support for the team would be to not play the "blame game" and accept that they are not perfect and avoid scapegoating at all costs. All it does is to create confidence issues and doubts in their abilities (but they are thought to avoid message boards at all costs). Positive reinforcement and encouragement would go a long way into supporting the team

Like the Phillips bashing (or Chris Neil bashing back then)... I mean the guy has done everything he could and bled for this team and city and played very well for the Sens 95% of the time, within his limitations (he's still a 1000 games player, how many people can say the same?). Sure he is not in his prime anymore and can't shutdown Stamkos for 60 minutes but he is taking way too much flack for nothing. Good thing is I know he doesn't have time to waste reading stupid message boards.

The thing is that most of the time, people are so wrong in their whining/complaining/scapegoating... and I have been proved of this so many times in the past... Just a few examples : Kelly signing, Alfie for Conroy anyone?, trade Spezza!, Neil signing : overpaid!, Turris trade, Anderson trade, even Phillips last year who had a slow start but was really solid as the season was going. I could go on for hours

I'm just wondering if people are simply jealous of NHL players... It would be a good idea for a thesis in psychology

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The fact of the matter is Chris Phillips is in no shape to play back to back games. The wrong D man sat our last night, dont care if he is a veteran he is out of shape. First the body goes then the mind you could see it as the game went on.

Bishop didnt really impress me last season but I didnt think he was bad but holy smokes he did not look like an nhl player last night. Small in his net (unbelievably) cant track the puck, incredibly terrible at playing the puck totally indecisive. No ability to make the save when the team needs one.

Anderson was in last night and they probalby win 4-1.

Latendresse hasnt played hockey for 2 years, atleast he is getting chances. He knows where to go he just needs to finish. I will give him a couple months before I decide.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Jeebus. Get off the ledge folks. We're 3-1. Gui and Philips haven't played in a while. We're only going to get better. Tonight will be a great test.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
This thread is just another attempt to put the light on the fickleness and ridiculousness of this board when things aren't perfectly going the way they wanted. Like a kid who didn't get his gift at christmas. People are a bit immature and have to learn to keep their cool. Temper expectations to realistic grounds would help too.

It's just good clean fun, no one is calling for the Senators to win the East or make a run for the Cup. Plus I haven't seen anyone with :rant::rant: in this thread; are clients not allowed to comment on the product they've purchased?

True support for the team would be to not play the "blame game" and accept that they are not perfect and avoid scapegoating at all costs. All it does is to create confidence issues and doubts in their abilities (but they are thought to avoid message boards at all costs). Positive reinforcement and encouragement would go a long way into supporting the team.

Sorry but...how is a Senators fan posting a tongue-in-cheek whipping boy thread creating confidence issues? If Phillips gets down on himself after close to 20 years in the league because someone didn't like his play...he shouldn't be in the NHL.
You shouldn't always praise either. When a mistake is made, when a player plays poorly it should be pointed out then corrected.

The thing is that most of the time, people are so wrong in their whining/complaining/scapegoating... and I have been proved of this so many times in the past... Just a few examples : Kelly signing, Alfie for Conroy anyone?, trade Spezza!, Neil signing : overpaid!, Turris trade, Anderson trade, even Phillips last year who had a slow start but was really solid as the season was going. I could go on for hours.

Neil was overpaid...most enforcers weren't making his type of coin at the time. We had to trade Kelly, the Senators were godawful in early 2007 so trade talk was justified and it lit a fire under Alfie...Phillips has been mediocre, Anderson could well be traded before his term is over. As for Spezza, word is he himself asked for a trade after being booed vs. Pittsburgh in the day so...

The point is, fans aren't obligated to swallow everything the team gives to them and they aren't obligated to think everyone is the best ever just because they were the centurion logo. It's ok to take a player to task, they can handle it, really!

I'm just wondering if people are simply jealous of NHL players... It would be a good idea for a thesis in psychology

Known a few NHLers in my time, good people but I'd not trade places with them.
Let me know how that Thesis goes by the way...

:sarcasm:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
No idea how people continue to overlook the defensive ineptitude of Sergei Gonchar. A couple good games to start the year, but back to his usual self since. Its unfortunate we don't have more depth, cause we need to shelter his minutes better.

But overall, I hate the concept that we seem to have a goat every season. I love this team. Last year's squad was my favorite Sens team ever (well, definitely top 3).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok so it will be a 3-way battle between Bishop, Phillips and Latendresse

Scapegoating is inevitable for this fanbase... so at least we can get it straight right away. Those 3 will fight for the whipping boy of the season title... Don't look at other options after every loss, it should be set in stone

....its 4 f'ing games in and we've lost ONCE...why is this poll even here?

I've already adressed that.

Oh this was a serious thread?

Half :)

It's just good clean fun, no one is calling for the Senators to win the East or make a run for the Cup. Plus I haven't seen anyone with :rant::rant: in this thread; are clients not allowed to comment on the product they've purchased?

You don't get the point of the thread. It's not about criticizing (which is fine when it's constructive), it's about scapegoating and going from an extreme to another... (win = Stanley cup! Loss = trade/waive/fire everyone!)

I'm exagerating a lot to give you a chance to understand...

I could be a lot more specific but scapegoating is like a mechanical defense people use to "treat" their emotions... Many people need to put the blame on someone when things aren't going their way. You can witness that behavior in everyday's life.

Sorry but...how is a Senators fan posting a tongue-in-cheek whipping boy thread creating confidence issues? If Phillips gets down on himself after close to 20 years in the league because someone didn't like his play...he shouldn't be in the NHL.
You shouldn't always praise either. When a mistake is made, when a player plays poorly it should be pointed out then corrected.

It could be like booing our own players... or influence medias to pick players apart (because I'm sure they read a bit of message boards to get the fan's pulse). In the end, if everyone is on a player's back, he will end up feeling the (unhealthy) pressure down his neck. Ex : Filip Kuba in 2010-11, it was impossible for him to get out of his mess until a new season (time heals and make people forget)

Neil was overpaid...most enforcers weren't making his type of coin at the time. We had to trade Kelly, the Senators were godawful in early 2007 so trade talk was justified and it lit a fire under Alfie...Phillips has been mediocre, Anderson could well be traded before his term is over. As for Spezza, word is he himself asked for a trade after being booed vs. Pittsburgh in the day so...

I'm not really surprised that you still don't get it. You always have been clueless to me regarding contracts and all that is related to management in general. Sorry but I don't think it's worth it to adress all your post.

Just the fact that you describe Neil as an "enforcer" (like comparing him with the Orr, Konopka, Janssen, Laraque etc) shows how much you don't get it.

The point is, fans aren't obligated to swallow everything the team gives to them and they aren't obligated to think everyone is the best ever just because they were the centurion logo. It's ok to take a player to task, they can handle it, really!

I don't think anyone "swallow" everything the teams sell, like if they were coming out to say we are one of the favorites to win it all this year, no one would believe it. We pretty much know what is going on. But I think this team's management has been honest with us and deserve the benefit of the doubt in moves they make (again, not expecting you to understand, so this is adressed to others). Particulary at the draft table and even in trades (Turris, Anderson for ex)

However, I really think people should try to stay even keeled, never too high, never too low. That's what most NHL players are taught to do and fans should temper their emotions a bit too. It's just a game after all.

Put pressure on a players is fine, but if it is the right way, like : you can do better and we expect more... heck, just let the coach do his job. Players are not robots, they are people who aren't perfect but one thing is sure : they are better at hockey than all of us. So people really should give up on calling them "crap" and stuff. It really sounds stupid and immature IMO...

Last edited:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I get called out for saying Anderson could play more than three games in a row. Well I guess Maclean thinks he should too since he has played the last 7 in a row. Just saying... but yeah probably should put Bishop in sometime soon.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I get called out for saying Anderson could play more than three games in a row. Well I guess Maclean thinks he should too since he has played the last 7 in a row. Just saying... but yeah probably should put Bishop in sometime soon.

...but yeah Bishop played great today.

You got called out because you said all kinds of dumb things in one post...and rightfully so. While playing Anderson for 7 straight games worked out pretty good, it had inherent risks like wearing him out or having Bishop get cold if Andy had another injury and was forced out for a period of time.

No one's suggesting that they split games, but Anderson can't start 7 in a row all season. It's just a terrible strategy long-term.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
TooFatTooDresse is taking a roster spot that could be better utilised, even if it was someone from Bingo just sitting until a spot opens in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad