Confirmed with Link: Scandella signs 4 year deal ($3.275m AAV)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

4 Years x 3.275 AAV

Getting more and more difficult to see Petro here unless a lot of salary is getting moved out.

edit- feel free to merge.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Odd timing given the fact that next year's cap is still undecided. Touch rich for me given the term, but not too bad.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
I think this is an excellent signing and at a good price. The way he gushed about the team made me wonder if he would take less than his potential UFA market price.

With the understanding all things impact the cap, I don’t think this has a major impact on Petro. If anything, locking this up at a decent price signals to me a higher likelihood of keeping Petro. If not, at least #55’s partner is locked in.

Someone like Bortz or Gunner will probably be shipped out to shave dollars to make Petro fit (assuming he doesn’t ask for the moon).

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Odd timing given the fact that next year's cap is still undecided. Touch rich for me given the term, but not too bad.
I agree that it's weird timing given the cap uncertainty, but for all we know the NHL might have a framework on how they will proceed regarding the cap.

It's really difficult to not read something into the Pietrangelo situation from this signing.
We've committed just over $77.6m in cap for 20 players next season. Pietrangelo, Dunn and MacEachern being the other three to sign.

The current situation might provide other ideas to be on the table for Pietrangelo as well.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I agree that it's weird timing given the cap uncertainty, but for all we know the NHL might have a framework on how they will proceed regarding the cap.

It's really difficult to not read something into the Pietrangelo situation from this signing.
We've committed just over $77.6m in cap for 20 players next season. Pietrangelo, Dunn and MacEachern being the other three to sign.

The current situation might provide other ideas to be on the table for Pietrangelo as well.
Sure seems like Petro will be leaving. With flat cap not only provides less room for us to sign but also makes it harder to ship out guys to create cap space. Letting Scandella walk was one of few ways to easily create a good chunk of that.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Sure seems like Petro will be leaving. With flat cap not only provides less room for us to sign but also makes it harder to ship out guys to create cap space. Letting Scandella walk was one of few ways to easily create a good chunk of that.

I really hope Petro stays, but signing Scandella made that a lot harder.

Maybe Steen has indicated he wants to retire after this season? That will free up some cap. This in combination with trading Allen and we should just have enough to sign Petro to a 9 million AAV deal + bridging Dunn at 2 mil AAV. We might have to trade one of Gunnarsson or Bortuzzo just to be certain we stay under the cap, but it is possible, albeit unlikely.

Reactions: Blueston

Playgloria

Nov 18, 2019
Probably going to have to trade a combination of a couple of Steen, Allen, Bozak, Faulk (somehow) maybe someone else to keep Petro and Dunner. Let's also not forget Schwartz is a UFA after next season and Robert Thomas will be looking for a raise in the near future too. Happy to keep Scandella especially with the chemistry he and Parayko have had right away but man I just don't know how we make it all work. Guess that's why Army gets the big bucks lol

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He fit in really well really quickly here so I’m happy to see him back.

I don’t necessarily think this signals the end for Petro, BUT the Blues are certainly covering their bases if it does. Locking up Scandella and Faulk, and having Mikkola and Perunovich waiting in the wings. I want Petro back but our defense without him would still be respectable.

We would have to trade, at the minimum, 3 guys to fit in Petro. Those guys being Allen, Bozak and Gunnarsson IMO. So yes it COULD still happen, but I’m now believing that with the way our roster is set up, chances are greater than 50% that Petro walks.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Getting more and more difficult to see Petro here unless a lot of salary is getting moved out.
The easy answer is "Jake Allen is gone." Put Husso in there (whether you think it's the right move or not) and you save about $3.6 million. But Dunn still needs a contract as well. (I'll come back to this in a bit.)To @SIU LAW's comment: moving Gunnarsson and/or Bortuzzo only frees up a little over $3.1 million at most, and one of those spots will probably be filled by Mikkola at just under $800K.

Let's say both Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson go out, we fill those spots with Mikkola and Perunovich. That saves about $1.4 million. That + swapping Allen out gets us to about $73.5 million, so $10.5 million in cap space. Take out say $900K for either DLR or MacKenzie. That's $9.6 million left. Can we get Dunn and Petro signed with that? Probably - but it likely means Dunn is going to get squeezed (he's an RFA but can't go to arbitration).

And, all of that is presuming an $84 million cap. There's not going to be an increase for next season unless the players want to do 20% escrow or more.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with keeping him around. I just think it's a dumb move to be signing guys to contracts beyond this season right now, unless they're taking practically the league minimum.

Given what we can already infer about '20-21 and fans being in arenas to watch games all season long, it's unlikely the cap hangs around $84 million. If it does, the players are going to feel pain with escrow; if it goes higher, they're getting taken behind the woodshed and beaten with the ugliest stick.

Might they have a framework? Probably. Is it something the players are going to ultimately like? Well, they still haven't figured out 100% of 71.4 million = 85% of 84 million, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is making for an interesting discussion about next year's cap, so I thought I would do a quick reset here. (All cap info per CapFriendly.com)

Right now, we have 13 forwards under contract for a total of $50,477,500 next season. Add one of MacEachern or De La Rose to that at $750,000 and you're at a full forward roster of 14 with $51,227,500 spent.

We now have 5 defensemen under contract for next season at a total of $18,400,000. If you figure Dunn at $1,500,000 (borrowing from the Blais discussion that this is the Blues Bridge Deal Blueprint), even if it is just for one year, and Petro at $8,000,000 that puts you at $27,900,000 for a full roster of 7 defensemen.

At goalie, Binnington and Allen currently cost $8,750,000. If you figure that they move out Allen's $4,350,000 for futures and replace him with Husso at $750,000 that leaves you at $5,150,000 for your two goalies.

Total Cap Hit: $84,277,500

I don't really think the cap is going to go up much, if at all, but I certainly don't think it is going to go up by $3M after the developments of the last two months. That means someone has to go, but who? Personally, I think there is no way we start the season next season (whenever that may be) with BOTH Mikkola and Perunovich in the AHL. That means one of the current D has to go, but again who? Moving Gunnarsson or Bortuzzo makes the most the most sense from a quality of play standpoint, but it doesn't really help the financial side of things because it only saves $400,000-$1,000,000 on the cap. Do we forgo signing Petro? Do we move Faulk or Parayko? Do we package 4 or 41 with a forward like Bozak or Schwartz to clear more room? It will be really interesting to see how this plays out over the next few months.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It’d be hard to find anyone on here that doesn’t. That being said...if it comes out that he wants a ridiculous amount you’d see some change in the thought
If the price is $8.5M or less, I absolutely want him back. If the price is $10M or more, I walk away. Anything in between $8.5M and $10M and I really need to know what next year's cap is going to look like and if I have to move out someone I don't want to move to fit him on my roster. None of this happens in a vacuum.

Edit: to add to this, I think losing Petro would be a big blow, but depending on what we do with the extra cap space I still believe there is plenty of quality on this roster that we would still be a Cup contender and still likely the top team in the West.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
If the price is $8.5M or less, I absolutely want him back. If the price is $10M or more, I walk away. Anything in between $8.5M and $10M and I really need to know what next year's cap is going to look like and if I have to move out someone I don't want to move to fit him on my roster. None of this happens in a vacuum.

Edit: to add to this, I think losing Petro would be a big blow, but depending on what we do with the extra cap space I still believe there is plenty of quality on this roster that we would still be a Cup contender and still likely the top team in the West.
I agree 100%

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

We've already spent a good chunk of that extra space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->