SCAB players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
EDIT: full poll question: Would non-signed/yet to be drafted players be considered to be SCABS if they were to play in the NHL next season(05-06)?

This poll assumes that the league will somehow implement an impasse allowing replacement players to play in the NHL.

Neither classification of non-signed or yet to be drafted players are in the NHLPA and could not be considered to be ‘crossing the line’

wetcoaster(or any other person in the know-how) a Q: If the NHL declares an impasse and it holds up in court does the league need the consensus of the NHLPA to hold the draft in June?

This years draft would essentially form the base for the replacement players for the 2005-2006 season. Combined with the yet-to-be-signed players that were previously drafted and you are looking at a fair number of new faces in the NHL. Throw in a couple of AHL players and it might be enough to satisfy the fans to come back to the games.

Some ideas on how to make the replacement players a viable alternative:

Reduce roster sizes to 16 per team, get the minium salary up to 300K, a $25-30 million cap, 850K rookie salary and change the rules to allow the game to open up.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
ArtG said:
if you cross a picket line, you're a scab.
It's hard to picket when most of your union is working elsewhere overseas. They're not striking, that would be different, they are locked out.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
gobert said:
It's hard to picket when most of your union is working elsewhere overseas. They're not striking, that would be different, they are locked out.

Right now they are locked out. In order for the NHL to start up next year the BoG would have to declare an impasse, and then end the lockout and open the doors under a self-imposed CBA.

Then the NHLPA would go on strike, so yes any players that would play would be crossing a picket line.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
John Flyers Fan said:
Right now they are locked out. In order for the NHL to start up next year the BoG would have to declare an impasse, and then end the lockout and open the doors under a self-imposed CBA.

Then the NHLPA would go on strike, so yes any players that would play would be crossing a picket line.
So if this mess is still going on by the time the season should start (god i hope that isn't the case), and the players have to go on strike, will the majority still be playing in europe? or will most/all of them have to come back to NA?

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Would non-signed/yet to be drafted players be considered to be SCABS if they were to play in the NHL next season(05-06)?

Don't really care what they're considered. :dunno:

If that's what it takes to end this nonsense, then so be it. I just don't expect a lot of NHLers to cross the line as quickly as the NFLers in '87. They had no other pro league to play in, whereas NHLers do.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
gobert said:
So if this mess is still going on by the time the season should start (god i hope that isn't the case), and the players have to go on strike, will the majority still be playing in europe? or will most/all of them have to come back to NA?

Well, if they're on strike, they won't be playing in the NHL. So it would stand to reason they would continue to play wherever they are getting paid to play. They're under no requirement to come back to NA. If/when the work stoppage ceases, then they will need to make arrangements to come back, but they don't have to before hand.

ctfan

Oct 2, 2004
They're putting fellow hockey players out of work themselves, so it's only fitting that other hockey players fill their jobs here IMO.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Personally, I don't think anyone is a scab for crossing a picket line. It's a "herd mentality", lower class way of thinking (sorry unioners). Every case is different. Just because a picket line is up, doesn't make the cause "just".

In my life, I've been in a union, I've been management, I've supported some picket lines by not crossing, and crossed some picket lines that were clearly not worthy of being supported.

Little old ladies in a bread factory making almost nothing deserve my support. Overpaid hockey players clinging desperately to an unrealistic wage structure do not.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
yes they'd be scabs

but is scab such a bad word?

Afterall, it implies healing... rather then the festering wound the NHLPA wants the NHL to be.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Does it end the nonsense or take it up a notch?
I'd say the latter.

I'm not sure either way. As far as whether or not they should be considered scabs goes, I don't really care. I will say this: I won't shed a tear for any NHL player who does lose his job to one of the replacements.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
AM said:
but is scab such a bad word?

Afterall, it implies healing... rather then the festering wound the NHLPA wants the NHL to be.
No, it implies (in this union situation) covering up the self-inflicted wound by the owners with a locking out.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Look everyone, Non-Hockey nuts might not watch a repalcement player league.
One thing I feal for sure is, Most hockey-nut fans give their teams and not any individule player their support. ALL hockey clubs go through rebuilding years when most of the player roster is too young , and year by year there is improvment.
Players come and go, but the team stays put. If we all have to live with replacement players for 3 years until the new rookies and some crossovers become nearly as good as the current set of Pro's then so be it. The real hockey fan will see their favorite jersey on the ice playing hockey.
Each teams farm team will produce more players , add the new draft picks and fill the holes with crossovers and some undrafted Euro players ( which I might add, that the current NHLPA palyers are finding out, play a good hockey game)
I feal it would not take more then 6 months to prove to the NHLPA that their stance is hopeless. The NHPLA constantly states that the Fans would NOT watch sub-par players but The NHLPA does not dare to actualy ask the fans.
Don't go there, don't ask the fans what they think, stay clear of the question so you can continue to state any opinion ) plausable deniability is what they want.
It's the same with the "books". Never agree to look at the books. Levit report or not just deny,deny,deny.
Like the guy who gets caught in bed with the other woman by hiw wife.
"you in bed with another women, says the wife" " who, where, what girl, I don't see a girl!! says the husband.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Brewleaguer said:
No, it implies (in this union situation) covering up the self-inflicted wound by the owners with a locking out.
you lost the metaphor there man.. how do u cover up a wound with a lockout? :p

in either case a scab would still refer to healing, not further damage..

KariyaIsGod*

At least the "SCABS" would simply be filling up empty positions. THese NHL pricks are taking other people's jobs...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
gobert said:

The only real difference between this year (a lockout) and next year (a strike) would be for players currently under contract. If they are locked out, they can play elsewhere, but if they are on strike (and have valid NHL contracts) they would not be able to sign overseas (the IIHF agreements prohibit it).

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
ArtG said:
you lost the metaphor there man.. how do u cover up a wound with a lockout? :p

in either case a scab would still refer to healing, not further damage..

OH I got it all right.

You don't cover up a wound with a lockout, you cover it with a scab. In this case the owners 'wound' was self inflicted.
In this heavily union town of Detroit (where I am from) a scab does not represent healing, but protection of the hurt the business will suffer without the regular workers do the job.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Put it this way all of the players who are overseas right now are taking jobs away form a guy that really needs it. If you were a guy making just enough to support your family and you were a fourth liner would you not be bitter that Joe Thornton who is a millionaire comes over and takes your job? I would.

So to all you NHL players that are going to complain about "scabs" next year just look in the mirror and you'll see exactly what you are doing! :dunno:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
ahh, but these guys

Brewleaguer said:
OH I got it all right.

You don't cover up a wound with a lockout, you cover it with a scab. In this case the owners 'wound' was self inflicted.
In this heavily union town of Detroit (where I am from) a scab does not represent healing, but protection of the hurt the business will suffer without the regular workers do the job.

arnt workers....

They are players....

"Be a player!"

These players hiding behind laws made for guys making $10 an hour is rediculous.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
AM said:
arnt workers....

They are players....

"Be a player!"

These players hiding behind laws made for guys making $10 an hour is rediculous.

Please do not compare them to the autoworkers union.

Linden got quite offended by the comparison.

Until applicable laws are brought up, of course. :innocent:

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
AM said:
arnt workers....

They are players....

"Be a player!"

They produce the product... players/workers same differance.
And so they hide behind the laws made for, blah blah blah. They didn't make the laws, now did they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->