SBNation and media coverage of NHL Seattle

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
Hey everyone. Just wanted to give you a quick update on the SBNation blog. The hockey writers at the Seattle Sin Bin have decided to part ways with Vox media for a few reasons.

1 - They were not paying the writers and as the managing editor I hated the fact that I was asking them to drive to events on their own dime for coverage and interviews. Dan, our Tips beat writer had been paying his own way over the last couple of years. As many of you know, we are credentialed with NHL Seattle and our writers have been doing all the work on their own dime. Including our photographer. On a moral level, I couldn't ask them to do that anymore.

2 - They have supplied many empty promises about our blog release. I have had a ton of direct messages from you all throughout the last year or so asking if we knew when it was going to launch. Also, in the Sonics Rising section. It keeps getting pushed back and has caused some internal issues along the way.

3 - They dictate what we can and can't write about.

There is a group of writers from different blog outlets (about 15 individuals) in Seattle that have teamed up to create a single source for sports in the area and they invited us to tag along on the ride. So we will be joining them and there is a soft launch on Monday.. we have also teamed up with some writers from Vancouver who will be covering canucks.. I know, I know.

The site will be subscription and cost .99 cents a month per sport or 4.99 for the entire site. The reason we decided to join in is that at least that 99 cents will help pay them back for gas and maybe buy them a beer or two. We will be in the press box when this team launches and I want to be sure they can at least celebrate the win after with a beer. As many of you have seen it's impossible to keep good writers who are losing money by writing and at the end of the day.. it's just shitty.

It also means that the SBNation Seattle site is wide open and I can put you in contact with the manager over there if you have an interest in running it. I will gladly pass you along.

I want to offer you all a few months of free access to help make sure the site doesn't break. Shoot me a message with your email address and I'll have them set you up. I can only give you hockey access as it's coming out of my pocket. Also, I'm looking for one or two more hockey writers.. so if you have some stuff you want to get down on paper - let me know. As I said, we have pretty open access in the area.

We look forward to continuing to help grow the hockey community here in Seattle. I have had a beer or two with a couple of you already but look forward to meeting the newer members.

Message me if you want to write or want me to connect you with Vox media if you have an interest in running the blog. Sounds as though they will launch shortly after a team name is announced.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hey everyone. Just wanted to give you a quick update on the SBNation blog. The hockey writers at the Seattle Sin Bin have decided to part ways with Vox media for a few reasons.

1 - They were not paying the writers and as the managing editor I hated the fact that I was asking them to drive to events on their own dime for coverage and interviews. Dan, our Tips beat writer had been paying his own way over the last couple of years. As many of you know, we are credentialed with NHL Seattle and our writers have been doing all the work on their own dime. Including our photographer. On a moral level, I couldn't ask them to do that anymore.

2 - They have supplied many empty promises about our blog release. I have had a ton of direct messages from you all throughout the last year or so asking if we knew when it was going to launch. Also, in the Sonics Rising section. It keeps getting pushed back and has caused some internal issues along the way.

3 - They dictate what we can and can't write about.

There is a group of writers from different blog outlets (about 15 individuals) in Seattle that have teamed up to create a single source for sports in the area and they invited us to tag along on the ride. So we will be joining them and there is a soft launch on Monday.. we have also teamed up with some writers from Vancouver who will be covering canucks.. I know, I know.

The site will be subscription and cost .99 cents a month per sport or 4.99 for the entire site. The reason we decided to join in is that at least that 99 cents will help pay them back for gas and maybe buy them a beer or two. We will be in the press box when this team launches and I want to be sure they can at least celebrate the win after with a beer. As many of you have seen it's impossible to keep good writers who are losing money by writing and at the end of the day.. it's just ****ty.

It also means that the SBNation Seattle site is wide open and I can put you in contact with the manager over there if you have an interest in running it. I will gladly pass you along.

I want to offer you all a few months of free access to help make sure the site doesn't break. Shoot me a message with your email address and I'll have them set you up. I can only give you hockey access as it's coming out of my pocket. Also, I'm looking for one or two more hockey writers.. so if you have some stuff you want to get down on paper - let me know. As I said, we have pretty open access in the area.

We look forward to continuing to help grow the hockey community here in Seattle. I have had a beer or two with a couple of you already but look forward to meeting the newer members.

Message me if you want to write or want me to connect you with Vox media if you have an interest in running the blog. Sounds as though they will launch shortly after a team name is announced.

That's a shame but what can you really do about it. Unfortunately for the time being i won't be able to join up on this. Maybe in the future i'll be able to.

Reactions: DougieMellon

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
That's a shame but what can you really do about it. Unfortunately for the time being i won't be able to join up on this. Maybe in the future i'll be able to.
Yeah, it's not easy.. but it's been ticking for awhile and just had to peel of the band aid.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, it's not easy.. but it's been ticking for awhile and just had to peel of the band aid.

I hear ya. I bet users at SR are happy to have the site be solely NBA content now. Leaving us hockey fans with with an alternative for the time being that is fee based.

Reactions: DougieMellon

DougieMellon

Sep 4, 2018
I hear ya. I bet users at SR are happy to have the site be solely NBA content now. Leaving us hockey fans with with an alternative for the time being that is fee based.
Most of them they joined the new site to cover basketball :)

EDIT: Not sure if I should have said that haha.

Josh Tessler

Jan 24, 2019
Doug,

Do you have any interest in coming to write at Puck77 to cover Seattle Hockey?

Hit me up on Twitter - @JoshTessler_ or email me at [email protected]

I'm a big fan of your work man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad