SB Nation - Bruins and Canadiens rivalry of the last decade

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
2002 was the worst for me. I loved that team. Billy g, Pj stock, tough joe Thornton.

Yeah that one sucked, too...add that one to list. The Bruins were second in the entire league at 101 points (only Detroit better). And when you look at Habs roster up front....blech. Such trash. Theodore stood on his head in that series.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah that one sucked, too...add that one to list. The Bruins were second in the entire league at 101 points (only Detroit better). And when you look at Habs roster up front....blech. Such trash. Theodore stood on his head in that series.
For some reason, it seems like whoever their goalie is, as soon as he puts on that sweater against the Bruins, he has the luck of Satan.

Reactions: BMC

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
All the losses of every series, sucked unfortunately !!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bobby never beat the Habs in the playoffs, tough to imagine but we all know it is true ! I hate them sooooo much !!

I know they never beat the Habs during the Orr years but weren't the 2 teams considered more equal than in past seasons when it was a given that Montreal was better??

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bobby never beat the Habs in the playoffs, tough to imagine but we all know it is true ! I hate them sooooo much !!
To be fair to Orr and those Bruins teams they only meet three times and the first two years the Bruins were baaad 68 & 69 and the only other time was when Dryden stole the 71 series.

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
To be fair to Orr and those Bruins teams they only meet three times and the first two years the Bruins were baaad 68 & 69 and the only other time was when Dryden stole the 71 series.

Was it Dryden stealing it or Tom Johnson giving it away by being an idiot and rotating goalies for no reason?

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Was it Dryden stealing it or Tom Johnson giving it away by being an idiot and rotating goalies for no reason?

Understood, however still stung so bad !!

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
I know they never beat the Habs during the Orr years but weren't the 2 teams considered more equal than in past seasons when it was a given that Montreal was better??

From 1971 through 1975, the Bruins were considered better. But as has been mentioned before, they only met once in 1971 - which ironically was the best Bruins team in history.

From 1976 through 1979 I think the Habs were considered better - including those ridiculous Hab teams of 75-76 and 76-77 where they only lost 11 and 8 games, respectively. But the two teams were consistently atop the NHL standings for pretty much the entire decade of the 70's. I have always said that but for the Habs being such a dynasty in the late 70's, the Bruins would have won maybe 2 more cups that decade....Don Cherry would have a couple of cups to his name.

And don't forget that Orr was basically done by 1975 at the age of 27. He stays even remotely healthy and those Bruin teams of the late 70's would be that much better. Trust me, the 70's were a really frustrating decade to be a Bruins fan, even though they went to the finals 5 times (winning twice) and were very, very good. There was always just something in the way to getting over the hump.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
From 1971 through 1975, the Bruins were considered better. But as has been mentioned before, they only met once in 1971 - which ironically was the best Bruins team in history.

From 1976 through 1979 I think the Habs were considered better - including those ridiculous Hab teams of 75-76 and 76-77 where they only lost 11 and 8 games, respectively. But the two teams were consistently atop the NHL standings for pretty much the entire decade of the 70's. I have always said that but for the Habs being such a dynasty in the late 70's, the Bruins would have won maybe 2 more cups that decade....Don Cherry would have a couple of cups to his name.

And don't forget that Orr was basically done by 1975 at the age of 27. He stays even remotely healthy and those Bruin teams of the late 70's would be that much better. Trust me, the 70's were a really frustrating decade to be a Bruins fan, even though they went to the finals 5 times (winning twice) and were very, very good. There was always just something in the way to getting over the hump.
I was in my teens in the 70's, thought for sure they would beat the Flyers in 4 or 5.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
I was in my teens in the 70's, thought for sure they would beat the Flyers in 4 or 5.

Yeah, that 1974 cup final is another under-the-radar gut punch, although the Flyers were a really good team. This time it was Bernie Parent doing his best Dryden imitation.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Makes me cry to ex-Bruins :(

Know what's even suckier? The Bruins drafted Ken Dryden, and Bernie Parent started his career in Boston. I can add Dryden to my "what-if" lists regarding the 70's Bruins. Imagine if the Bruins had held onto him, while the Habs had to roll with Bunny Larocque?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Know what's even suckier? The Bruins drafted Ken Dryden, and Bernie Parent started his career in Boston. I can add Dryden to my "what-if" lists regarding the 70's Bruins. Imagine if the Bruins had held onto him, while the Habs had to roll with Bunny Larocque?

It gets worse.

They also drafted MacLeish, Leach and Mark Howe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad