SB Nation - Bruins and Canadiens rivalry of the last decade

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Thought there should of been more Bruins dominance in there (like the Horton OT winner)and I was a little disappointed of it saying Pacioretty was a physical presence, and that Ference gave the middle finger when it was clearly a glove malfunction. :sarcasm:

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pacioretty sure was a physical presence for headbutting that stanchion like that

From 2009-2014 in particular my hate for that team is and was unrivaled. I’ve mellowed on Montreal since they’re mostly irrelevant and far more difficult to hate than they were then.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yeah, you rarely see board beef between the Bruins and Habs fans anymore because of how pathetic Montreal has been the past few seasons.

Reactions: CDJ

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
From 2009-2014 in particular my hate for that team is and was unrivaled. I’ve mellowed on Montreal since they’re mostly irrelevant and far more difficult to hate than they were then.

Funny thing... whenever the rivalry “cools off,” it doesn’t take much at all for the hatred to flare up again. One series; one game; one play - it doesn’t matter. The venom is always there. Just beneath the surface...

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
My hatred for the Habs hit its peak (so far) with in the '04 series when Ribeiro faked being hurt to get a whistle when the B's had the puck. Losing to them in the first round for the second time in 3 years while being the better team was sooooo frustrating

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
they haven't been holding up their end of the bargain, at least since the series of a thousand goal posts
They have an approximate 75%-25% edge in playoff series won all-time. If the Canadiens never beat the Bruins again it wouldn’t bother me in the least.

Reactions: BMC

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
My hatred for the Habs hit its peak (so far) with in the '04 series when Ribeiro faked being hurt to get a whistle when the B's had the puck. Losing to them in the first round for the second time in 3 years while being the better team was sooooo frustrating

That 2004 series does get enough attention IMO. And I was around in 1971 and 1979. The Bruins were up 3-1 in that '04 series, with 2 of the remaining games at home. They also had a very legitimate shot at the cup - in fact Phil Esposito has been quoted as saying that the team that Tampa really worried about that year was Boston. They had loaded up at the deadline with Gonchar and Nylander, and were clearly the better team than the Habs. But of course the Habs had to make feces on my April cornflakes yet again.

2014 was also really bad. So in my lifetime I would put the order of Habs playoff horror as:

This thread also seems to be an appropriate place for a question I've always had: as Bruins fans, we can cite many examples of how the Habs beat the Bruins in the playoffs, while being underdogs (in some cases severe underdogs, like in 1971....UGH). But I can't really point to a series the Bruins won against MTL when they were underdogs. Anybody think of one?

Reactions: Kalus

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
they haven't been holding up their end of the bargain, at least since the series of a thousand goal posts

Snapple fun fact: Loui hit more posts in that series than the team had goals the entire season

don’t quote me on that. Seems true tho

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That 2004 series does get enough attention IMO. And I was around in 1971 and 1979. The Bruins were up 3-1 in that '04 series, with 2 of the remaining games at home. They also had a very legitimate shot at the cup - in fact Phil Esposito has been quoted as saying that the team that Tampa really worried about that year was Boston. They had loaded up at the deadline with Gonchar and Nylander, and were clearly the better team than the Habs. But of course the Habs had to make feces on my April cornflakes yet again.

2014 was also really bad. So in my lifetime I would put the order of Habs playoff horror as:

This thread also seems to be an appropriate place for a question I've always had: as Bruins fans, we can cite many examples of how the Habs beat the Bruins in the playoffs, while being underdogs (in some cases severe underdogs, like in 1971....UGH). But I can't really point to a series the Bruins won against MTL when they were underdogs. Anybody think of one?
1988 and 1992 the Habs were the higher seed.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
AFAIK Montreal was always the better team or considered to be the better team. Maybe the Orr years would have been a possible exception? :dunno:

1971 the Bruins had one of the best teams in NHL history. I think the best team never to win a cup.
2014 the Bruins were far and away the better team
2004 the Bruins were much better and were cup favorites
1979 the Bruins lost in an epic, soul crushing way (irrelevant as to which team was better in regular season)

I think the way I see the Neely years it was kind of a wash, with neither team' expected' to win. I don't think that the Habs losing in 1988 or 1992 was all that traumatic for Hab fans. Those series could have gone either way IMO.

So I guess I was looking for some kind of gut punch to Habs fans when they clearly had a much, much better team and still lost. Or when they lost like the Bruins did in 1979. Those are series that create scar tissue.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thought there should of been more Bruins dominance in there (like the Horton OT winner)and I was a little disappointed of it saying Pacioretty was a physical presence, and that Ference gave the middle finger when it was clearly a glove malfunction. :sarcasm:

*LOVED* that middle finger salute. Another reason Ference was a favorite.

Eff you, jerk MTL fans.

Richly, richly deserved.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

If you are talking about the B's as underdogs, I'd say 1988. That was the break through year, and the end of MTL's dominance. After that, things were markedly different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad