Saying farewell to the Godmother of HF Boards

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i did not know fugu/barbara but saw some of her posts and know she was a pillar at HF.
condolences to her family and to all of you guys who called her a friend. she sounded
like a really great human being.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I apologize terribly for my ignorance about her as I just didn`t know this. Terribly sad news and my heart goes out to her and her family and those here on Hf who knew her well

Reactions: Ginger Papa

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I didn’t know Barbara.

But my condolences to her family and to those of you who were close to her.

Breast cancer has had its run throug my family as well. I don’t wish it on anyone. Nor any cancer/illness for that matter.

So sorry to hear but I hope she is a peace after such a long battle.

HockeyGoddess

Mar 1, 2002
Nashua, NH
I didn't know her, but it seems very obvious that she touched many people's lives in a positive way. My heart aches for all who knew and loved her. Rest in peace, Fugu. May her light that shone upon those of you who knew her bring you comfort, peace in knowing that she is no longer suffering, and love to her family and friends.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Many of you didn't really know her but if you were a frequent poster anywhere on HF she knew you. She was the most visible administrator and she lurked on the Bruins board pretty much daily.

I lurked on HF for a long time and actually didn't officially join until the Saturday morning when Dale Armold posted here about losing the Bruins play by play job, that was in September 2007. I still didn't post much because I knew things that only people who were around the team did and I didn't want to say something I shouldn't have. BTW - That still applies today.

But I did start posting in both Business of Hockey and History of Hockey and Fugu noticed and I was recruited to become a Mod in BoH which as many of you know was Fugu's pet forum. What I didn't know was she was looking to make me a Mod on the Bruins board. At that time Wally had retired and @TP just couldn't put the time in that he used to. She knew I was a night owl and she asked if I wanted to cover a late night Bruins at Vancouver GDT and if so to contact Pat and since he knew I was already a Mod in BoH made me a Bruins Mod.

That B's/Canucks GDT got real ugly as the Canucks just blew the Bruins off the ice

Friday, February 13, 2015
and the trolls from the Vancouver board showed up ( keep in mind they were carrying a grudge ) When the dust settled I had issued penalties pretty evenly and I became a fulltime Bruins Mod. The 2015 season ended badly but the summer from hell was just starting.

April 15, 2015 might be the craziest day in HF Bruins history. To begin with, it is 2 years to the day after the marathon bombings and emotions are still raw. Then 2 things happened within 30 minutes of each other.

upload_2018-9-19_23-42-43.png

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

upload_2018-9-19_23-45-56.png

The Bruins tried to put Chia's firing under the radar and succeded - expect for HF Bruins :laugh:

Fugu was enjoying morning coffee in Washington State when I issued a general alarm for any Global Moderator to help. ( Wally was still in retirement )

Somehow the board did not have a meltdown and I noticed that night that Fugu had promoted me to Global.

BTW during all of this Deflategate was taking place and of course, escalated. During the Summer of 2015 the Bruins forum was the most active on all of HF. This produced a nightmare for the Bruins Mods as many Bruins fans hated the Patriots. Finally, a 'miracle' happened when a frustrated Wally was given an infraction on our Patriots board by a well-meaning Global from another fanbase. The Mod under our rules made the right call but it sent shockwaves through the Mod community as many long-time Mods berated that Mod for infracting Wally.

Fugu seized on this opportunity to kick @Gee Wally out of the retirement home and put him back to work. She was the only person who could have done that.

Her legacy is she did this for all of the numerous HF neighborhoods.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Many of you didn't really know her but if you were a frequent poster anywhere on HF she knew you. She was the most visible administrator and she lurked on the Bruins board pretty much daily.

I lurked on HF for a long time and actually didn't officially join until the Saturday morning when Dale Armold posted here about losing the Bruins play by play job, that was in September 2007. I still didn't post much because I knew things that only people who were around the team did and I didn't want to say something I shouldn't have. BTW - That still applies today.

But I did start posting in both Business of Hockey and History of Hockey and Fugu noticed and I was recruited to become a Mod in BoH which as many of you know was Fugu's pet forum. What I didn't know was she was looking to make me a Mod on the Bruins board. At that time Wally had retired and @TP just couldn't put the time in that he used to. She knew I was a night owl and she asked if I wanted to cover a late night Bruins at Vancouver GDT and if so to contact Pat and since he knew I was already a Mod in BoH made me a Bruins Mod.

That B's/Canucks GDT got real ugly as the Canucks just blew the Bruins off the ice

and the trolls from the Vancouver board showed up ( keep in mind they were carrying a grudge ) When the dust settled I had issued penalties pretty evenly and I became a fulltime Bruins Mod. The 2015 season ended badly but the summer from hell was just starting.

April 15, 2015 might be the craziest day in HF Bruins history. To begin with, it is 2 years to the day after the marathon bombings and emotions are still raw. Then 2 things happened within 30 minutes of each other.

View attachment 140947

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

View attachment 140949

The Bruins tried to put Chia's firing under the radar and succeded - expect for HF Bruins :laugh:

Fugu was enjoying morning coffee in Washington State when I issued a general alarm for any Global Moderator to help. ( Wally was still in retirement )

Somehow the board did not have a meltdown and I noticed that night that Fugu had promoted me to Global.

BTW during all of this Deflategate was taking place and of course, escalated. During the Summer of 2015 the Bruins forum was the most active on all of HF. This produced a nightmare for the Bruins Mods as many Bruins fans hated the Patriots. Finally, a 'miracle' happened when a frustrated Wally was given an infraction on our Patriots board by a well-meaning Global from another fanbase. The Mod under our rules made the right call but it sent shockwaves through the Mod community as many long-time Mods berated that Mod for infracting Wally.

Fugu seized on this opportunity to kick @Gee Wally out of the retirement home and put him back to work. She was the only person who could have done that.

You have simply the most enlightening posts.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

View attachment 140947

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

View attachment 140949

If not for Barb I would have stayed retired.

But when I got a PM from her titled 'I need a favor. I need you', what was I supposed to do?

For her, anything.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If not for Barb I would have stayed retired.

But when I got a PM from her titled 'I need a favor. I need you', what was I supposed to do?

For her, anything.

@Gee Wally
I wrote my piece explaining Fugu's connection to the Bruins board while waiting for my flight. I felt it was important for our neighborhood to know.

Deflategate was a problem for us and she asked us to consider closing down the Pats thread but I told her then it will spill over to other threads because it was just a hot topic. I was in a tough situation because of working games there I knew many of the low-level employees involved. The stakes were enormous because if Belichick was implicated he would have been suspended for life by the NFL after what had happened with spygate. The reality is nothing happens at Gillette without BB knowing about it. The whole concept of 2 ballboys doing this on their own was absurd.

Our problem was that many Bruins fans from outside New England despised the Patriots and there was no end in sight. Thus she knew that only you could stop the madness that was going on.

She was familiar with Boston and New England having spent time in Hanover, NH.

Her death is a very bitter pill to swallow.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
So sad. I didn't know her, but it's clear from the reaction across the site that she was, is, and always will be loved. May she rest in peace.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

View attachment 140947

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

View attachment 140949

Thank you for sharing this Fenway. My condolences. She sounded like a wonderful person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad