Saying farewell to the Godmother of HF Boards

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am sharing with you the devastating news that we received today. I am crying in my room in Beijing.

Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

Hi all,

It’s with a very heavy heart that I deliver this news.

Fugu has entered the final phase in her four year long fight with metastatic breast cancer. On the advice of her doctors, and after discussion within her family, she entered hospice care on Saturday, Sept. 15th. She is being kept comfortable and has constant company from family and friends.

The community on HF Boards, and the many friends she had there, were a big part of her life and a constant source of conversation and enjoyment. For those of you who were her friends there, I want to thank you on her behalf for your friendship.

Charity:

We've decided to contribute as a group to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation | BCRF

Fugu is one of the pillars of the online hockey world. HFBoards in particular is heavily indebted to her wisdom, patience, and vision in building what has come to be a true community. Online moderators never sign up for the job for recognition — but Fugu was more than her job around here. She became a leader, an advocate, a confidant, and a “mom” of sorts to untold numbers of people who had no more in common with her than a mutual passion for this game. She will be remembered here, and never truly replaced.

Please take a moment to consider a donation in her honor (and when the time comes, in her memory).

Feel free to leave a comment, or just “like” this post to show her how many people she touched every single day.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I've been dreading this day the past few years. Barbara is a very special person. We shared many stories about life in general and our kids. I love this lady.
She has put up a tremendous fight. Never once complained or felt sorry for herself.
Hopefully her suffering will now end.
God bless her.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I've been dreading this day the past few years. Barbara is a very special person. We shared many stories about life in general and our kids. I love this lady.
She has put up a tremendous fight. Never once complained or felt sorry for herself.
Hopefully her suffering will now end.
God bless her.
Agreed. Barbara is a very special friend to me and the only person I can talk to about many things many times. I just this minute finished making a playlist for her. It would be easy to feel sorry for myself, but I won't. She's 6 days older than I am, but (except for raising my son) she's done a lot more with her life than I have. I celebrate her life and everyone's life she has touched here.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Agreed. Barbara is a very special friend to me and the only person I can talk to about many things many times. I just this minute finished making a playlist for her. It would be easy to feel sorry for myself, but I won't. She's 6 days older than I am, but (except for raising my son) she's done a lot more with her life than I have. I celebrate her life and everyone's life she has touched here.

well said Wrigs..

Like I said to another friend here. As much as this is heartbreaking for me/us I'm going to try to take solace in knowing Barb was one of the most real people I have ever met.

She scored the hat trick of life. That being:

1- She is a great Mother.
2- She is a great wife.
3- She is a great friend.

I don't think there is much more important in life and she nailed all three.
She has left her mark. Which is the best any of us can ever hope for.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
well said Wrigs..

Like I said to another friend here. As much as this is heartbreaking for me/us I'm going to try to take solace in knowing Barb was one of the most real people I have ever met.

She scored the hat trick of life. That being:

1- She is a great Mother.
2- She is a great wife.
3- She is a great friend.

I don't think there is much more important in life and she nailed all three.
She has left her mark. Which is the best any of us can ever hope for.
Agreed and well put.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This is very sad. What was her full handle here? I'm sorry to say, reading all of the heartfelt testimonials that I wish that I knew her. Quality, caring, good people are at a premium and I try to know as many as I can.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Terrible news. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 15 and that really changed my life.

My sincere condolences to her family.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->