Saying farewell to Fugu :( Update: Obituary in OP

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Very sad news. She was always a voice of reason in HFBOH. My condolences to her family and I hope they take comfort in all the pleasant memories she provided them.

Reactions: Killion

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey all,
I just wanted to give you an update that as of a few moments ago, I donated the pooled funds to the BCRF fundraising page that Barbara's husband set up in her memory. Over the course of 22 days, 48 of us contributed a total of $2,388.00. I know not everyone could contribute and that's fine and understandable. I'd only ask that at some point in the future - when you have the ability to do so - please consider a contribution in memory of Barbara to BCRF or another worthy nonprofit that's helping fund important research in this field. Barbara was taken from us - all of us - too soon and this thread shows the impact she had on so many of us. Rest in peace, Barbara, you'll be missed dearly.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Hey all,
I just wanted to give you an update that as of a few moments ago, I donated the pooled funds to the BCRF fundraising page that Barbara's husband set up in her memory. Over the course of 22 days, 48 of us contributed a total of $2,388.00. I know not everyone could contribute and that's fine and understandable. I'd only ask that at some point in the future - when you have the ability to do so - please consider a contribution in memory of Barbara to BCRF or another worthy nonprofit that's helping fund important research in this field. Barbara was taken from us - all of us - too soon and this thread shows the impact she had on so many of us. Rest in peace, Barbara, you'll be missed dearly.

Some may have directly contributed, too...

The grand total currently sits at $6,063...

https://give.bcrf.org/fundraiser/1658206

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
if I may, when my dad died years ago a friend told me that those random moments of sadness and tears would eventually and just naturally turn into random moments of joy and good memory. of course I didnt believe him at the time, but damn if he wasn't right. things that made me miss my dad suddenly made me smile.

i just had one of those joyful moments here when i logged in and saw "Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum" ... it brought a smile to my face.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
if I may, when my dad died years ago a friend told me that those random moments of sadness and tears would eventually and just naturally turn into random moments of joy and good memory. of course I didnt believe him at the time, but damn if he wasn't right. things that made me miss my dad suddenly made me smile.

i just had one of those joyful moments here when i logged in and saw "Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum" ... it brought a smile to my face.

Yeah, time the only true healing process GS. If youve ever shared a mutual love of something, loved or been loved by someone, shared growing, educational, spiritual or whatever experiences with someone be they seminal or even just mundane, experiential.... any number of mutually beneficial, positive or even negative in some cases experiences.... concepts, ideas.... Its energy. Energy never dies. So much we dont understand, but so long as were alive, which I do believe is forever those with whom weve shared much, that person, those who touched us, they so too live with you, with all of us.

Tragic loss, life can be awfully unfair at times, the older one gets shockingly the more people you know who are being cut down before they should be by Cancer. Out of control, odious, sinister disease that robs us of so many of the best & brightest. Barbara, well, one of the best, brightest, IQ off the charts, acted out of the kind of purity & genuine love towards her fellow Man that was a model to all who knew her. No half measures, strove for perfection, demanded answers, truth seeker, very curious mind. Not a malicious bone in her body, loved people, life. Her journey continues as does our own, and ya, we'll meet again. In mind, spirit, she lives on. Here for sure, something she loved, gave of herself so much & freely, and of course with those who's lives she touched well beyond this forum. A beautiful Being who's life will be remembered, bringing light to the darkness. A light that can never be extinguished.

This Lady, Bohemian of the finest kind as they say in Maine..... Favorite guitarist; David Gilmour, though I do believe I was able to open her ears somewhat & she quickly fell in love with others of the same age, genre... modern Blues (Joe Bonamassa amongst others, who she adored) and Progressive Artists, be it Robert Smith's unique sound on the Gretsch or God is an Astronaut etc.... always open minded, appreciated quality, had a fantastic ear..... open mind, eyes, heart...

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Absolutely terrible news. Fugu gave so much to this online community

My deepest condolences to Fugu's family and friends. :(

Cancer is devastating. The same type of cancer that took her has taken some of my loved ones as well. I am so sad to hear this news.

Rest well, Fugu

Reactions: Killion and Fenway

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Well I'd been away for a while and this is one of the first things I see when I come back. How terrible.

Rest in peace in that big rink in the sky, Barbara.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
HFBoards will be donating a percentage of sponsorship fees to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) in Barbara Stephenson's (Fugu) name. The donation amount is 50% of fees collected in the first year (Sept 19, 2018 to Sept 19, 2019). Thereafter 10% will be donated in perpetuity.

We've added 130 sponsorships since Sept 19. That makes current donation $780.

I'd like to thank the owners of the site for letting us do this and keep Barb's memory alive in a meangingful way.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
HFBoards will be donating a percentage of sponsorship fees to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) in Barbara Stephenson's (Fugu) name. The donation amount is 50% of fees collected in the first year (Sept 19, 2018 to Sept 19, 2019). Thereafter 10% will be donated in perpetuity.

I'd like to thank the owners of the site for letting us do this and keep Barb's memory alive in a meangingful way.
Is the pufferfish staying in the banner and is the BoH going to keep the current name?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I lost my mom in early March to cancer as well (albeit a different kind of cancer), so I can in my own way relate to this situation.

Cancer sucks.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I got so sick of the phoenix saga i stopped coming over here for a couple of years and holy crap. I know this is late but Fugu was always very fair minded and knowledgeable. Condolences to her family and all here on the board. :(

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I got so sick of the phoenix saga i stopped coming over here for a couple of years and holy crap. I know this is late but Fugu was always very fair minded and knowledgeable. Condolences to her family and all here on the board. :(
had no idea why the sub-forum was named after a member until today either .

rest in peace Fugu

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

We're at 300 sponsorships. That's the same total as a year ago. On Sept 19th we close out this donation period and the amount donated decreases from 50 to 10%. If you're planning on becoming a sponsor for the upcoming season, now's the time to do it to maximize the donation to Breast Cancer Research.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->