Saying farewell to Fugu :( Update: Obituary in OP

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am sharing with you the devastating news that we received today. I know many of you here at BoH never go near the main board so I am reposting this here. She entered hospice care a few days ago.

BoH is by far her favorite forum on HF.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/saying-goodbye-to-fugu.2542731/#post-149637363

Hi all,

It’s with a very heavy heart that I deliver this news.

Barbara has entered the final phase in her four year long fight with metastatic breast cancer. On the advice of her doctors, and after discussion within her family, she entered hospice care on Saturday, Sept. 15th. She is being kept comfortable and has constant company from family and friends.

The community on HF Boards, and the many friends she had there, were a big part of her life and a constant source of conversation and enjoyment. For those of you who were her friends there, I want to thank you on her behalf for your friendship.

Charity:
We've decided to contribute as a group to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation | BCRF
garnetpalmetto is collecting via this link: HFMods Donation to BCRF/HFC in Honor of Fugu

Fugu is one of the pillars of the online hockey world. HFBoards in particular is heavily indebted to her wisdom, patience, and vision in building what has come to be a true community. Online moderators never sign up for the job for recognition — but Fugu was more than her job around here. She became a leader, an advocate, a confidant, and a “mom” of sorts to untold numbers of people who had no more in common with her than a mutual passion for this game. She will be remembered here, and never truly replaced.

Please take a moment to consider a donation in her honor (and when the time comes, in her memory).

Feel free to leave a comment, or just “like” this post to show her how many people she touched every single day.

Fugu's obituary has been made public. Rest in Peace sweet lady.

Obituary of Barbara Stephenson | Bellingham

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh man.. :( She has been a constant contributor and commenter in the NHL Seattle threads. I believe she moved out to Washington state a few years ago.

This sucks :(.

She lives 60 miles south of Vancouver and about 90 miles from Seattle. She really wanted to see her beloved Red Wings play in Seattle.

She is only 56 :cry:

Last edited:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Wow, I really can't believe that news even though I never personally new her. Fugu was, and always will be, the legend in here. I found it truly awesome that a woman was running the Business of Hockey forum and knew so much about business at such a high level. She will be missed but never forgotten..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My condolences go out to Barbara and her family during this difficult time. As others have shared here and on the main board, all I can say is she was wonderful to speak with online. Fugu will be missed but never forgotten.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Such a shame. I talked to her a lot on the Seattle thread and via PM. I enjoyed having conversations with her. She'll be missed. Condolences to her family.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Fugu and I certainly had our battles over the years, but it was impossible not to appreciate, admire, and respect her. Whether it was her knowledge, her passion, her inquisitiveness, or that unique ability to simply slap down a habitual line-stepper such as myself, there was much to enjoy.

She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers, and she will be missed.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So very sad..... we here at BOH were more than any other Board at hf lucky enough to have enjoyed her constant presence, class, dignity & grace more so than any other. She always strove to elevate the tone of conversation in pushing not only herself to be as objective as possible but so too for everyone else to be so..... that the BOH would be inclusive and open to all regardless of the depths of ones knowledge on whatever topic or thread... that you all be welcomed & encouraged, greeted warmly, to come on in weary traveler, pull up a stool by the fireside, for there are tales of truth to be told and some far stranger than fiction.

Over the past 8yrs I worked very closely with her, got to know her extremely well, by far my absolute Best Friend on this site as she was in fact to many others as well. Very impressive individual. Wonderful sense of humor, an ever curious mind, absolutely adored the game & had since childhood growing up in Chicago, even learning the Canadian National Anthem & singing along with that.... IQ off the charts. Loved, LOVED music. Progressive Rock in particular, Blues & Progressive Blues, Joe Bonamassa in particular who I was happy to have introduced to her.... just on & on. So many memories. So much time spent together and not one minute I would trade for all the gold in Aladdin's Cave.

Very very special person indeed. My deepest condolences to her Husband, her Son & Daughter who I know she was/is very VERY proud of.... to her Parents. It is said there is nothing worse than losing a child, and be they 5, 15 or 56, this I know a terrible blow...... Life.... at times..... just so unfair..... Know that your Daughter, Mom, Wife... brought so much happiness, joy, edification & sunlight to so so many here. She was & will always be loved by this community, by this family.... a true Superstar who's light guided the way for so many & will shine forever brightly over those who dare to dream, seek truth.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Very sorry to hear this, condolences to her family and her HF family. Never had any interaction with her that I can remember, but really always enjoyed reading her posts. There are/were only a handful of people I have ever searched for on this site, just to see what their opinion was or how they came to the opinion they did. She was one of them and most of the others have posted in this thread. She will be missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->