Say goodbye to import goalies as the CHL overreacts to 'Canadian Golatending Crisis'

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
You seem to be a believer in "survival of the fittest." You think the Canadian League should open it's door for everyone and if the Canadian kids can't keep their spot, tough titty. So to you, it's better to have a 19 year old playing in the CHL for a year then going home > giving a 16 year old a chance to play, develop into a potential pro who might represent his country at some point? Again, you're completely out of touch.

I don't think anyone said that.

But that statement is very shallow. I mean, if the 16 year old isn't good enough to earn a roster spot, then is it fair to give him the spot of a 19 year old who's earned it and can be valuable to the team, and can provide leadership to the 16/17 year olds who have made the team? No. So in that case it is better to have the 19 year old.

If the 16 year old is good enough to make the team, a good team will give him the chance to develop. And it doesn't necessarily mean they think he'll represent his country at the world juniors, if I'm developing a 16 year old the hope is that he'll be a stud for me at 18/19 .. and is there anything wrong with that? If he gets drafted, if he gets to play for his country, that's a bonus.

But its in a teams own best interest to develop their own assets as well as they possibly can.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't think anyone said that.

But that statement is very shallow. I mean, if the 16 year old isn't good enough to earn a roster spot, then is it fair to give him the spot of a 19 year old who's earned it and can be valuable to the team, and can provide leadership to the 16/17 year olds who have made the team? No. So in that case it is better to have the 19 year old.

If the 16 year old is good enough to make the team, a good team will give him the chance to develop. And it doesn't necessarily mean they think he'll represent his country at the world juniors, if I'm developing a 16 year old the hope is that he'll be a stud for me at 18/19 .. and is there anything wrong with that? If he gets drafted, if he gets to play for his country, that's a bonus.

But its in a teams own best interest to develop their own assets as well as they possibly can.

taking oranges and making lemonade

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Well there goes Erie's goalie lol. We have drafted more goalies than anything that panned out

Dansk isn't going anywhere. Goalies can be drafted in the first round this year then that's it. So there will still be around 2-3 years with import goalies in the league. Once those currently with CHL rights and those drafted in the first round this year are finished with thier Junior Eligibilty then that will be it for import goalies.

That is until the realize how dumb this decision was and reverse it.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I like this move hopefully they do it for the skaters also. Make the import draft for US skaters and a max of 3 per roster per season. Lets start developing OUR Canadian kids rather than everyone elses kids.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
I like this move hopefully they do it for the skaters also. Make the import draft for US skaters and a max of 3 per roster per season. Lets start developing OUR Canadian kids rather than everyone elses kids.

Lowering the competition level in the name of shoehorning some Junior A calibre players into Major junior will clearly be good for everyone.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Actualy it will further the development of our kids from Tyke on up doing this IMHO.

How? By giving thousands of kids the delusion that they'll have a career in hockey, thanks to 120 CHL roster spots* opening up?

You could also water down the league's talent level and create 120 roster spots without implementing needlessly xenophobic protectionist policies by creating 6 expansion teams.

*Bearing in mind that teams would take a Canadian of equal or greater talent over a European anyway

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
This will not solve anything or make Canadian goalies better. Train them better.

This

And IMO the way to do that, is to decrease the number of games played,and increase days of practice.
With your superior talent pool, you should been best. No doubt.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
This

And IMO the way to do that, is to decrease the number of games played,and increase days of practice.
With your superior talent pool, you should been best. No doubt.

Again, these are not teams owned and operated by Hockey Canada. These are privately (and in some cases publicly) owned, independent franchises. Owners would likely not want fewer games, as that would mean less revenue, and I can't imagine that most season ticket holders would be too keen on the idea either.

The problem with Team Canada's performance at the WJC has to do with the selection process, and it has to do with poor training at the youth level for goaltenders. None of these have anything to do the CHL, or Europeans in the CHL. The worst thing about hockey in Canada is Hockey Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad