Saving Our Season

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
You are remembering this very wrong. Under Hartley the word "defence" did not exist. The hockey was fun to watch because it was complete pond hockey and the season we made the playoffs we had insane puck luck.

I'll take a more boring hockey style if it means we play actual ****ing defence.

Well I'd prefer a mix of both. But the offense was high-flying and fun. We were the comeback kids.

I remember endless frustrating low-scoring boring hockey after 2004 SCF run. Only players I really miss from the late 2000s era was Langkow, early years Phaneuf, Conroy and Iginla.

It was fun having a formidable, big defense. But by the time Regehr was traded to LA his legs were pretty much done. Surprised he won a cup, and glad for him because he was great for us for quite a stretch. We found a way to make Bowmeester average who ended up being known, mainly, for logging a lot of ice-time. The last 3 years in Calgary Iggy was pretty much just plugging in 30 goal seasons but otherwise had lost his forceful ways.

I couldn't handle any more Sutter hockey of 2-1 and 1-0 and 0-1 and the odd 3-2. After a decade and a half just couldn't do it anymore, though I'd dumbly watch in boredom.

But hey, after all that, if he would let us use our offense I'd consider Darryl back or maybe Brent. If it would straighten this group out. I'd honestly bear it again to win. I'm just not sure it would make that big of a difference for dreadful dump and chase, grind it out Sutter hockey though.

Savoie92

Jul 5, 2012
Regina
Lots of things going on this season,
-Johnny not playing his game, that directly affects the entire team
-Looks like they gave up on their coach, New coach comes in play better for a bit and now that the effect of Peters leaving is gone their effort seems to have left again
-Inconsistent play, Some nights they look great, others they look lost
-Lucic's contract: he plays his role (gritty forward), but unfortunately gets paid like a skilled forward
-Under Achieving supporting cast (outside of Lindholm, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan no one is on pace to even hit 40 pts)
-Lots of players took steps back from last season, could have been lots of players having career years
-Giordano age slowly starting to slow him down
-Goal for per game dropped 0.86, while Goal against per game went up 0.32

With this being said, a coach can do wonders, we saw it last season. But we need more then just a coach. I don't think we need to blow it up. But if we had say a Tom Wilson to play with Johnny and Monahan/Lindholm. He has skill, grit and gets under opponents skin. I know grabbing Wilson won't happen, but just using him as an example of what the line could use. I wasn't a huge Ferland fan, but he did help that line work. And that would allow the other of Monahan/Lindholm to play with Tkachuk.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Love what I’ve seen these past two games. Now if only they can do that on a more consistent basis - don’t mean it every night... but maybe 75% of the time. We would be good.

Gio going down is the blessing in disguise. It’s short (hopefully) term injury, but long enough where others need to step up.

looking forward to a winner makes ploffs against the coil in April.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could it just be that Ward needed time to get the players on track? It's a disadvantage to not run your own training camp...

Or is this just a flash in the pan?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Lads & Lassies, I have thought long and hard about this. I have come to the conclusion that only one man and ONE MAN only can save our season. His name is...... Darryl Sutter.

I truly believe the is the only guy in hockey that could inspire this sad group of blades of steel to start playing with passion.

Discuss..
currently under contract with the ducks

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It makes me feel quite distressed that our biggest issue still seems to be compete level. Because it's not a system thing, its certain players just not getting up for the challenge. Wilting under pressure. Everything they've ever been accused of, confirmed.

But how many teams around the league have this kind of issue creep up during the year? I'm willing to bet it's in the neighbourhood of 30.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Lads & Lassies, I have thought long and hard about this. I have come to the conclusion that only one man and ONE MAN only can save our season. His name is...... Darryl Sutter.

I truly believe the is the only guy in hockey that could inspire this sad group of blades of steel to start playing with passion.

Discuss..
See the puck, get the puck, shoot the puck and a little left wing lock.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It seems to me that the Flames haven't been able to function as well ever since Gulutzan, then Peters, implemented their version of a possession game. It is too complicated for some players. They think too much before making a play. Ward has carried on with this style, but thinks out of the box a bit more. We can still save the season, but the guys will have to devote themselves to getting greasy with defence being job 1.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It seems to me that the Flames haven't been able to function as well ever since Gulutzan, then Peters, implemented their version of a possession game. It is too complicated for some players. They think too much before making a play. Ward has carried on with this style, but thinks out of the box a bit more. We can still save the season, but the guys will have to devote themselves to getting greasy with defence being job 1.

I think I get it. This is a team built in a way that thrives on chaos. We kept bringing in guys that nullified too much of that chaos and thus handicapped this team as a result? No matter how you slice it, it really does look like the Flames thrive on pond hockey. They can fight with the best in the league playing that style. It's not very sustainable and difficult to predict though.

But a rigid system also nullifies the speed and creativity of this team. Our team shouldn't be as slow as it currently looks. Those guys have speed to burn. But almost all of the players are also not given the right track/structure to hit their top speed on a regular basis. It's like having a sports car that is forced to always drive in rush hour traffic rather than open roads. Gully by far was the flipping worst of the bunch at doing that.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Guys we don’t have enough talent up front, that’s on Treliving.....we can spin in circles all day long about the coaching but Brads on his 4th coach already.

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames badly need Evander Kane.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad