Saving Our Season

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I hated when we had to play the Sutter ran Flames. The work ethic on that team was incredible. I hated them so much, and it was because they always outworked us.
No it was because your team sucked and Regehr ran Hemsky's show.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
No it was because your team sucked and Regehr ran Hemsky's show.

Regher and Hemsky, that was a slaughter every night. Hemsky would not stop though....until Regher stopped him.
Neither team was that good though, but Sutter brought something out in Calgary, they had a hard nosed hard working coach....kind of like their captain and their core.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Treliving won’t go near him after the Peters debacle. Too many people waiting in the wings to tell everyone how Sutter kicked their sack or slapped them upside the head. I think hockey has moved past him at this point

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Regher and Hemsky, that was a slaughter every night. Hemsky would not stop though....until Regher stopped him.
Neither team was that good though, but Sutter brought something out in Calgary, they had a hard nosed hard working coach....kind of like their captain and their core.
Nah, the team that went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and won their division the next year wasn't that good...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau needs to start using his skill to get into the middle of the ice.

When he does that, he’s a top 5 player in the league and I’ll believe that to the grave.

However, this year he’s been staying to the outside. Or doing his little donut. It’s too easy to defend. He has no time and space because he’s not going into the middle for whatever reason.

But when he breaks through and goes to middle it forces the other team to give him the outside to protect the middle. And then he has time and space on the outside, and then our D have time to shoot the gap. Then and our trailing forwards ie Monahan can come in and be that deadly third man he’s made a career out of.

Johnny needs to start getting to the tough areas to open things up offensively. That’s what this team needs most.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sell sell! Hammer available for a 2nd... Brodie for a 1st or 2 2nds... we'll accept anything for Reider and Talbot... hell, maybe Lucic will even have some pride and retire... we'll even hang his veteranism number for the trouble!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Lads & Lassies, I have thought long and hard about this. I have come to the conclusion that only one man and ONE MAN only can save our season. His name is...... Darryl Sutter.

I truly believe the is the only guy in hockey that could inspire this sad group of blades of steel to start playing with passion.

Discuss..

After all the stuff came out, I don't think the organization goes there again.

We are stuck with Ward for now and some low level coach will be bought in next year.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Lads & Lassies, I have thought long and hard about this. I have come to the conclusion that only one man and ONE MAN only can save our season. His name is...... Darryl Sutter.

I truly believe the is the only guy in hockey that could inspire this sad group of blades of steel to start playing with passion.

Discuss..

I would absolutely love this, but given all the heat started by the Babcock/Peters incidents, I don't see it ever happening.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Gaudreau needs to start using his skill to get into the middle of the ice.

When he does that, he’s a top 5 player in the league and I’ll believe that to the grave.

However, this year he’s been staying to the outside. Or doing his little donut. It’s too easy to defend. He has no time and space because he’s not going into the middle for whatever reason.

But when he breaks through and goes to middle it forces the other team to give him the outside to protect the middle. And then he has time and space on the outside, and then our D have time to shoot the gap. Then and our trailing forwards ie Monahan can come in and be that deadly third man he’s made a career out of.

Johnny needs to start getting to the tough areas to open things up offensively. That’s what this team needs most.

This. He's a one trick pony right now and playing terrified.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nah, the team that went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and won their division the next year wasn't that good...
Edmonton made it to the cup finals in 06. Both teams that went that far was unexpected, seeing what happened to those two teams afterwards tells me they were one hit wonders, although I will admit(because it is true) that Calgary was the better managed team and overall in the 2000's were the better team. That trade for Kipper was the nail in the BOA coffin, that guy was unbeatable at times and that deal was a steal.
However, both teams aside from those miracle runs were at best mediocre. We still are in many ways still mediocre.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If any of you have the Athletic(it is $5 for one year, works out to be $0.40 per month, totality worth it), they have a article "5 reasons waving the white flag could be the Flames’ smartest move", that is very good read and I think many would agree with it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Edmonton made it to the cup finals in 06. Both teams that went that far was unexpected, seeing what happened to those two teams afterwards tells me they were one hit wonders, although I will admit(because it is true) that Calgary was the better managed team and overall in the 2000's were the better team. That trade for Kipper was the nail in the BOA coffin, that guy was unbeatable at times and that deal was a steal.
However, both teams aside from those miracle runs were at best mediocre. We still are in many ways still mediocre.
Yeah except it's a disgrace to be mediocre with all the lottery picks and top it off with mcdavid....the flames rest their fortune on a 4th rounder so it's understandable why they suck

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Watching Sutter hockey was like watching paint dry. I hardly even watched LA games on their runs because they too were boring as f***.

The funnest hockey to watch, and we were pretty decent, was under Hartley. I miss Huds too. That top line was the ti ts.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Watching Sutter hockey was like watching paint dry. I hardly even watched LA games on their runs because they too were boring as ****.

The funnest hockey to watch, and we were pretty decent, was under Hartley. I miss Huds too. That top line was the ti ts.

I would say the funnest hockey to watch was the style Pittsburgh played on their 2016 Cup Run. It had everything we liked about Hartley Hockey (guys like Letang and Demers and Schultz and Dumoulin were using the stretch pass and jumping into every rush), the centers were lethal down the middle (not just Crosby and Malkin, but also Bonino and Cullen), and more importantly when they cycled, they cycled with a real purpose that caused the opponent to get hemmed in. They didn't change lines by getting pucks deep and peeling off... they changed lines by holding pucks deep and sneaking out one by one. Every line had its own identity and served a purpose.

Calgary will never be able to play that type of hockey with Sean Monahan down the middle in the top six. I'm not even sure Mony would even unseat 2016 Bonino as the center of the HBK line.

In my lifetime that team was the pinnacle of hockey. I'd take them over the 90s Red Wings and Avs, I'd take them over the 2009 Penguins, the 2010 Blackhawks, the 2011 Bruins, the 2018 Capitals, any of those teams. And I were a GM I would build a team as stylistically similar to them as possible.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Yeah except it's a disgrace to be mediocre with all the lottery picks and top it off with mcdavid....the flames rest their fortune on a 4th rounder so it's understandable why they suck
Meh, neither team been near the cup in over a decade. I know this sounds weird coming from an Oiler fan but I am sick of both Alberta teams really only having the 80's to brag about.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Watching Sutter hockey was like watching paint dry. I hardly even watched LA games on their runs because they too were boring as ****.

You are remembering this very wrong. Under Hartley the word "defence" did not exist. The hockey was fun to watch because it was complete pond hockey and the season we made the playoffs we had insane puck luck.

I'll take a more boring hockey style if it means we play actual f***ing defence.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad