Savard Wickenheiser draft question

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
1st Rnd 1st Overall Mtl. Canadiens Doug Wickenheiser C Regina Pats 556 111 165 276 286
1st Rnd 3rd Overall Chicago Denis Savard F Montreal Juniors 1196 473 865 1338 1336

in the 1980 draft who made the draft choice of Wickenheiser over savard

I have heard that the gm of the canadiens was sick and in hospital so serge savard made the selection

is this correct

scosar

Mar 17, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
No that's not true. At the time Wick was exactly what the Canadians needed as he was a big goal scoring Center on a team with a ton of small centers. Plus he was a consensus No. 1 pick. I guess if a team needed a defenceman they would have picked Babych but he was No. 1 on most lists.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No that's not true. At the time Wick was exactly what the Canadians needed as he was a big goal scoring Center on a team with a ton of small centers. Plus he was a consensus No. 1 pick. I guess if a team needed a defenceman they would have picked Babych but he was No. 1 on most lists.

Well, aside from the fact that Larouche wasn't exactly small, I see your point.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
was anyone there who can give an account of what occurred

was the habs gm missing at the tiem due to illness and if so who made the selection at the podium

The selection was made by Irving Grundman, the Canadiens general manager.

As was pointed out by an earlier poster Wickenheiser was the consensus number one choice (the Hockey News had him ranked as such) and the Canadiens were looking for a big tall center (in the mold of Pete Mahovlich).

For more on Wickenheiser and the story behind the pick and that draft, read this ...

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1679

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The story I've heard goes that Sam Pollock acquired Colorado's 1st round pick that year back in 1978 with his eye on Wayne Gretzky. It would have been his draft year, but in 1979 the draft age was lowered, negating that. Then Wayne signed with the WHA, so he never entered the draft anyway.

Still, to me, if the story is true, its one of those great ifs in hockey. It's also a great sign of Sam Pollock's genius and foresight. Add Gretzky to the Habs of the 80s and the dynasty surely would have continued.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I don't know that Wickenheiser was the consensus #1 choice. He may have been the top prospect if you had to put that label on somebody, but it was very close between him and Babych and many other teams would've taken Babych if they had that pick depending on the state of their defence.

The rumour about that draft was that Montreal offered Guy LaPointe to Winnipeg in exchange for their first-rounder (which would've given the Habs the top two picks), but John Ferguson wisely declined the deal.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
The story I've heard goes that Sam Pollock acquired Colorado's 1st round pick that year back in 1978 with his eye on Wayne Gretzky. It would have been his draft year, but in 1979 the draft age was lowered, negating that. Then Wayne signed with the WHA, so he never entered the draft anyway.

Still, to me, if the story is true, its one of those great ifs in hockey. It's also a great sign of Sam Pollock's genius and foresight. Add Gretzky to the Habs of the 80s and the dynasty surely would have continued.

I''m pretty sure Gretzky's draft year would have been 1981, as prior to 1979 players were 20 when drafted. Gretzky was only 19 in 1980.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
On the gretzky thing

Gretzky was protected by the Oilers as they entered the nhl with a roster that ended up being dispersed into thenhl butthey could protect a few players and he and messier and a few others were protected

any WHA Team that signed gretzky would never be allowed into the nhl so Indianapolis (a very sucessful hockey market) sold him / deal him to the oilers ensurignthe oilers sucess and Indianapolis demise as a nhl market.

Thus I can't see how gretzky could be on the canadiens radar unless it was around 77-78

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
On the gretzky thing

Gretzky was protected by the Oilers as they entered the nhl with a roster that ended up being dispersed into thenhl butthey could protect a few players and he and messier and a few others were protected

any WHA Team that signed gretzky would never be allowed into the nhl so Indianapolis (a very sucessful hockey market) sold him / deal him to the oilers ensurignthe oilers sucess and Indianapolis demise as a nhl market.

Thus I can't see how gretzky could be on the canadiens radar unless it was around 77-78

None of that is true.

Messier was never with the WHA Oilers. He played with Indianapolis (after Gretzky left) and the Cincinnati Stingers. Since the Stingers didn't make it to the NHL, and he was 18, Messier was eligible for the 1979 draft, where the Oilers selected him.

Indianapolis was doing good for a while, but by 1978-79 they were starting to die, and Nelson Skalbania (the Racers owner) knew they wouldn't make it to the NHL, so started selling off players. Gretzky was sent to Edmonton in exchange for some money.

And the Canadiens acquired the first overall pick from Colorado by the following (as per Wikipedia):

The Colorado Rockies' first round pick went to the Montreal Canadiens as the result of a trade on September 13, 1976 that sent Ron Andruff, Sean Shanahan and the 19th overall pick to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for this pick.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
kaiser i think your guessing

I heard soemthig nabout thaqt on HNIC Radio

There must be a book that explains what really happened when the wha folded

The messier thing I am not disputing

Just read over part of "The Rebel League" to see what was what.

To sum it up, Skalbania was losing money with the Racers before Gretzky was signed. They were averaging 5000 fans per game in 1978-79, 3k less than the season before. To help improve attendence, he signed Gretzky. That didn't really work, so he sold Gretzky, Eddied Mio and Peter Driscoll for $850,000 and Skalbania renouncing the right to reacquire an ownership stake in the Oilers in the event of the team joining the NHL.

With Gretzky gone, the Racers signed another 17 year-old, Mark Messier. He played 5 games, didn't score a point, and was released and signed by Cincinnati, where he finished the year.

Even with that extra money from the Gretzky trade/sale, the Racers folded after another 17 games, December 15, 1978.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
1st Rnd 1st Overall Mtl. Canadiens Doug Wickenheiser C Regina Pats 556 111 165 276 286
1st Rnd 3rd Overall Chicago Denis Savard F Montreal Juniors 1196 473 865 1338 1336

in the 1980 draft who made the draft choice of Wickenheiser over savard

I have heard that the gm of the canadiens was sick and in hospital so serge savard made the selection

is this correct

Caron, the future GM of the Blues, was the Habs head of scouting. According to him, the Habs thought they needed a big top line center (later, when Wick wasn't panning out as planned, they went out and got Bobby Smith). Ironically, they thought they already had a future french Canadian high scoring center in their prospect pool, who happened to be lighting it up in the Q at the time, and like Savard, on the smaller size. His name Guy Carbonneau, who contrary to Caron's evaluation, would not become an offensive force, but actually one of the finest defensive forwards I've ever seen. They thought Savard wouldn't fit a need as well as Wickenheiser did.

Another Guy Carbonneau story. Lafleur was so impressed with the offensive abilities of Carbonneau, he proposed to management and the coaching staff to put together a line of Carbonneau, Naslund and Lafleur. Savard/Berry said no. I wonder how history would be different if they had taken Lafleur's advise?

At the end of the day, the Habs took the big guy from the WHL who had 170pts, rather than the small QMJHL guy who got 180pts. I think most drafts, people would be way more impressed with the big WHL getting 170pts.

Just wondering why nobody gives the Jets grief for taking Babych, instead of Coffey or Murphy?

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sadly I show my age here

Going into the draft

Wickenheiser was compared to Gretzky and there was a lot of ink saying that Dougy was going to be better then Wayne

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I recall how the haBs fired everyone and then hired savard in 83 to be there gm

is the savard selection why caron never got the job as les canadiens gm?

Savard and Caron remained close once Caron joined the Blues as GM, and had alot of deals with one another, so I don't think there was any bad blood and Caron was never a candidate. Actually nobody was a candidate other than Savard according to Corey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wickenheiser has to be the unluckiest player in the history of the sport.

Goes to Montreal as the #1 overall pick to play for a coach that hates him because he wanted Savard and a fanbase that treats him like crap and basically runs him out of town.

Is just starting to turn his career around in St. Louis - and is on pace for a 30-goal season - when he falls out of a truck during the rookie 'snipe hunt' and destroys his knee, and is never close to the same player again.

Then, of course, develops cancer and is dead before the age of 40.

Such a sad story to happen to a guy who it seems pretty much everyone agreed was one of the nicest, classiest people you'd ever meet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad