Savard leaving

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
On one hand, he wasn't really able to fix the problems that have plagued our PP the last couple of seasons so, meh. On the other hand, how many PP coaches do we have to burn through before we put this situation on the players to play better. I know our overall numbers weren't bad, but all you had to do was watch it a few times to realize that there was a lot of room for improvement with decision making and puck handling.

I just hope that the "leaving to spend more time with family" language is allowing him a graceful exit and that there aren't "family issues" he needs to deal with.

Reactions: mk80

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
On one hand, he wasn't really able to fix the problems that have plagued our PP the last couple of seasons so, meh. On the other hand, how many PP coaches do we have to burn through before we put this situation on the players to play better. I know our overall numbers weren't bad, but all you had to do was watch it a few times to realize that there was a lot of room for improvement with decision making and puck handling.

I just hope that the "leaving to spend more time with family" language is allowing him a graceful exit and that there aren't "family issues" he needs to deal with.
Wasn't able to fix our problems? The Blues' PP was 3rd in the league in the regular season...not saying there wasn't room for improvement, but I'd say overall Savard did a great job. I'm sad to see him go.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Wasn't able to fix our problems? The Blues' PP was 3rd in the league in the regular season...not saying there wasn't room for improvement, but I'd say overall Savard did a great job. I'm sad to see him go.
The amount of puck movement we were getting was vastly superior to what we had seen before and our PP numbers reflected it.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I honestly don't know how that is possible, but ultimately the numbers don't lie. On the other hand, I know what I saw and when our #1 unit was off it was embarrassing how badly they moved the puck.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That's disappointing. Hopefully it's just wanting to be closer to family and not something more significant.

I honestly don't know how that is possible, but ultimately the numbers don't lie. On the other hand, I know what I saw and when our #1 unit was off it was embarrassing how badly they moved the puck.
Our puck movement was better, but we suffered from the usual Blues PP; we either score or the PP looks absolutely horrendous. There is rarely much in-between and that's what gives us the impression it is so bad, it isn't like half our failed PP's had consistent zone time and good looks.

It's unbelievable that our PP has been top-10 in 6 of the last 7 seasons, the one that it wasn't I think we were worst in the League...

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
get adam oates in here already

I heard an interview with Oates a few months back and he sounds pretty content doing what he's doing now. I doubt we'd convince him to take an assistant coaching job when he's doing so great on his own as a personal trainer/skills coach.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think this is good Savard left or did get kicked out. I didn't see improve for our powerplay. Our player has got better. Perron improved his game and was monster at powerplay, he almost double up his points at powerplay (27 points) last regular season vs. Cup win year (14 points). Same goes with Pietro went to career high scoring at powerplay 6 goals. Overally Thomas has take couple big steps and easily he drives 2nd powerplay unite, point wise Thomas has been same with compare to rookie season.
You could say its reason of Savard, but imo our powerplay system hasn't changed one bit what it was with Hitch and Yeo time. Only difference what I've seen this post-season vs. previous seasons was Parayko was used more in 1-timer and it clearly have been worked out at summer. I don't know has it anything to do with Savard.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I think this is good Savard left or did get kicked out. I didn't see improve for our powerplay. Our player has got better. Perron improved his game and was monster at powerplay, he almost double up his points at powerplay (27 points) last regular season vs. Cup win year (14 points). Same goes with Pietro went to career high scoring at powerplay 6 goals. Overally Thomas has take couple big steps and easily he drives 2nd powerplay unite, point wise Thomas has been same with compare to rookie season.
You could say its reason of Savard, but imo our powerplay system hasn't changed one bit what it was with Hitch and Yeo time. Only difference what I've seen this post-season vs. previous seasons was Parayko was used more in 1-timer and it clearly have been worked out at summer. I don't know has it anything to do with Savard.

... and not have Terasanko on the pp (regular seaon) helped our numbers. Hate me but he sucked on the blueline.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018

While I'm glad RobbK has you back, I can't agree. The PP got noticable better with more movement under Savard.

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
While I'm glad RobbK has you back, I can't agree. The PP got noticable better with more movement under Savard.
Enlighten me. What are those noticable changes what Savard has made? To me it does look like same as what it was with Hitch and Yeo. Sorry, I haven't seen anything difference what Ray Bennett showed to us. Our players are just better what they were back then.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think one of the biggest issues for our PP is that Tarasenko sucks on his off-wing and frankly is kinda terrible with the puck when not shooting. Our first unit was way more effective when it replaced him with Perron on that hash.

Reactions: Celtic Note

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Part of the issue may be recency...IIRC the PP started off the season red hot then cooled down a bit then was abysmal in the playoffs. This more recent poor performance might have left a bad taste in peoples mouths/memories. Just a theory.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We may have had a better plan under Savard, but our execution was still awful about 90% of the time. There were still way too many fumbled passes, way too much indecisiveness and way too much waiting for shin pads to get into shooting lanes. And I'm not sure who decides which unit starts the PP and when to change units, but the "1st unit" getting 90-100 seconds to fumble around with the puck before bringing the 2nd unit out for the last 20-30 seconds needs to stop.

Reactions: Spear

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
We may have had a better plan under Savard, but our execution was still awful about 90% of the time. There were still way too many fumbled passes, way too much indecisiveness and way too much waiting for shin pads to get into shooting lanes. And I'm not sure who decides which unit starts the PP and when to change units, but the "1st unit" getting 90-100 seconds to fumble around with the puck before bringing the 2nd unit out for the last 20-30 seconds needs to stop.
Well in the regular season they converted on 24.3% of their PP. So they were awful at 75.7% of the time, which made them the 3rd best in the whole NHL.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The Blues had a good PP during the regular season. Expecting or asking for more is entirely unrealistic.

In the playoffs, the PP was tepid at best. We should expect more there, but that can be said for pretty much all facets of our game.

All-in-all, Savard was good for this team.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Well in the regular season they converted on 24.3% of their PP. So they were awful at 75.7% of the time, which made them the 3rd best in the whole NHL.
I get that. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the numbers don't lie. I just don't know how you could have watched that same PP for the entirety of the season and not felt like their execution (passing, receiving passes, decision making and shot selection) wasn't objectively awful. Savard may have designed a better approach than we have had before, but the same execution and deployment issues were still there, though they sometimes succeeded in spite of their rather than because of it.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I get that. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the numbers don't lie. I just don't know how you could have watched that same PP for the entirety of the season and not felt like their execution (passing, receiving passes, decision making and shot selection) wasn't objectively awful. Savard may have designed a better approach than we have had before, but the same execution and deployment issues were still there, though they sometimes succeeded in spite of their rather than because of it.
No I get it. That’s most power plays. I think we expect perfection too much

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues had a good PP during the regular season. Expecting or asking for more is entirely unrealistic.

In the playoffs, the PP was tepid at best. We should expect more there, but that can be said for pretty much all facets of our game.

All-in-all, Savard was good for this team.
There is difference pp% success at regular season vs playoffs. Teams will look more closely videos how to shutdown and match that. We looked atrocious vs Canuks.

Its not like we're great Cup playoffs. If I remember correct we had in Cup season awful pp% and pk% at playoffs. One the worst. But our 5on5 was NHL best. I'm not 100% sure.
Don't remember did we had good numbers at regular season at pp% in Cup run season?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
There is difference pp% success at regular season vs playoffs. Teams will look more closely videos how to shutdown and match that. We looked atrocious vs Canuks.

Its not like we're great Cup playoffs. If I remember correct we had in Cup season awful pp% and pk% at playoffs. One the worst. But our 5on5 was NHL best. I'm not 100% sure.
Don't remember did we had good numbers at regular season at pp% in Cup run season?
I seem to remember being very happy when Savard was hired, and looking forward to his putting in a new system with lots more movement of players without the puck, and lots of sending a player towards the net just as the feeder pass is being sent, and the recipient will take the one-timer. I was disappointed the first month, because, apparently, the players were adjusting to his system. In that season's 2nd month, The Blues started scoring well on The PP. They had some VERY hot periods, and a few down periods, but, overall, the finished at about 23%, if I remember correctly, which was, I think 7th or 8th overall. The next season, I seem to remember that they were 5th overall, but "AVictoryDive" said they were 3rd at 24%. They've had good % both regular seasons, but had down, unproductive stretches during both seasons. THAT means that they had REALLY HOT periods to keep up that average. They were not great on the PP in the playoffs in Our Cup year, but were passable. They were lousy in this season's playoffs. But, almost all the players were playing like they were suffering from Covid weakness the whole playoffs, whether on The PP, PK, or ES.

I think Savard was a good hire. The players passed better, and faster, on average overall, than before he came, and they did have more movement than with Yeo. Tarasenko is definitely not used to best advantage on The PP. And The Blues still need more players closer to the net to have opposing goalies seeing less of the shots when they are taking off, and to get more close-in shots, and jump on more rebounds. Schenn and Perron take abuse down low to hold position, but few other Blues do anywhere near as much as they do. Thomas should help a little more with that as he gains more bulk and strength going into next season. Schwartz's game seems to be starting to fade. He's no kid anymore, and has taken a lot of punishment with the kind of scrappy game he plays against bigger players. Kyrou can't help in the toughness area, but his speed and elusiveness might allow him to get to the net (but, probably not holding position there for long). He'll have to dart in, and out, and in again. McEachern, Barbashev, Sundqvist, need to fight for position more down low, and that will help their scoring potential. Sundqvist MUST have been fighting off some illness or other during this season's playoffs. He just didn't look like himself. O'Reilly also looked at 80%. O'Reilly at 80% still looks good, but not his usual excellent level. Next season should be better for The Blues. They'll be hungrier (and with luck, they'll be healthier).

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm sorry to see Savard go. When people resign to "spend more time with the family" its usually a face-saving statement to disguise a firing.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
JR commented about this to the effect that Savard said the job was a lot more time commitment and more demanding than he anticipated. I don’t believe the Blues wanted to part with him. I think this may be just what it appears to be: a guy that didn’t want to have such a demanding job, but did a good job when he was with the team.

The criticisms above of the PP are hard for me to follow. I think a lot of facets of the team looked bad in the bubble. Throw that out. The regular season PP was excellent. Other teams were afraid to take penalties. I don’t know what more one could reasonably expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad