Saudi Arabia set to host 2034 World Cup

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah... that's not going to be taken very well.

And I'm also assuming that they'll have to hold it in the Northern Hemispheric winter like Qatar, too.

Reactions: uncleben

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You telling me that nobody else tried to make a bid for the World Cup?

The 2030 Cup will be held in Spain, Portugal, and Morocco with ceremonial games in South America, which was also announced.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This past World Cup was actually alright in terms of timing and the host stadiums and whatnot, but it happening in November/December was just odd.

If it were up to me it'd rotate between Western Europe and South America.

I don't care about Saudi Arabia but you know that the soccer world is going to be up in arms about this as they tend to have political leanings and strong opinions on the Saudi government. When WWE started running shows over there, people were getting real mad claiming they were supporting murder and corruption and shit. But murder and corruption never got in FIFA's way before, so...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You telling me that nobody else tried to make a bid for the World Cup?

The 2030 Cup will be held in Spain, Portugal, and Morocco with ceremonial games in South America, which was also announced.

FIFA had already determined that 2034 would be held in the Asian/Oceania zone, so that limited the pool and I guess no one besides Australia was ever interested since this was clearly what FIFA wanted.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This past World Cup was actually alright in terms of timing and the host stadiums and whatnot, but it happening in November/December was just odd.

If it were up to me it'd rotate between Western Europe and South America.

I don't care about Saudi Arabia but you know that the soccer world is going to be up in arms about this as they tend to have political leanings and strong opinions on the Saudi government. When WWE started running shows over there, people were getting real mad claiming they were supporting murder and corruption and shit. But murder and corruption never got in FIFA's way before, so...
South America may never get another one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
World Cup like the olympics really doesn’t need a brand new never hosted one before nation.

WC is expanding to 48 nations in 2026. Used to only need 8 venues. Probably at a minimum it would get bumped up to 12. USA, Mex and Can one in 2026 has like 16 in total but to spread it across 3 countries probably needed more than what you can get by on.

Guessing we see more co-hosts bids on the future to accommodate the extra games.

My thoughts are always will the venues be fully used afterwards? Seems wasteful to spend billions on stadiums if a couple of them are not really used later.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
FIFA had already determined that 2034 would be held in the Asian/Oceania zone, so that limited the pool and I guess no one besides Australia was ever interested since this was clearly what FIFA wanted.

I've read that this was because they decided to have 2030 in a mix of Europe/Africa/South America, thus forcing only Asia/Oceania to be available. And with limiting bidding time to a month, it meant no serious competitors could come forward, so Saudi Arabia immediately became a frontrunner, which in part led to Australia backing out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00