Saturday nights just ain't the same

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All these afternoon/Friday/Sunday games suck. Since I was a kid I always was able to what my team play.

Not a big fan of Advertising dollars over HNIC. Sure, it is the fiscally responsible thing to do but from a fans point of view it is a real drain.

It must kind of irk some of the players too.

We have had really bad crowds compared to years past. Not saying attendance numbers but the atmosphere.

I really hope next season things go back to "normal".

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Whatever keeps the Sens away from CBC is good. Awful announcers and unhidden bias.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
CBC isn't bad if Hughson/Simpson/Galley/Brown are covering. We don't get much Bob Cole anymore so that's not too bad.

I dunno, is anyone watching those games on tv in the afternoons? It seems that reaching a much larger audience on a Saturday night would be better than reaching a much smaller audience on a Saturday afternoon. If the Senators need advertising money that badly they're in for a world of hurt.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
For myself, if it's not on CBC or TSN, being out of market and on a tight budget with 3 kids 6 and under, I just can't watch it. So I do miss the HNIC broadcasts.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Couldn't agree more. Sens get shafted so much on Sat nights. Playing on Fri night or Sat or Sun afternoon just doesn't do it for me.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I wonder if its a bid to lure the next generation of fans. More kids at afternoon games, Sens need to build a long term fan base. So many older residents of Ottawa are Leaf or Habs fans as they were the teams growing up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't mind it. Yes, there's something special about Saturday nights for sure. Especially when growing up TSN didn't exist and all you really had were the 1-2 Saturday night games on tv.

But, with Center Ice and other sports channels out there, it's really been fun and interesting watching other teams on a more regular basis, along with Ottawa games. Still having a difficult time listening to the US broadcasters...they're trained to call football/baseball/basketball games and you can feel those styles bleeding into their telecasts. Neat to get into a different perspective though (except the way they talk about the players you'd think every NHLer came out of US college..yeesh).

Times are a changin'.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't mind that much when the Sens don't play on a saturday night, its afternoon games i'd rather not see.

1pm tomorrow . . what the hell is that? 1pm

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Expect it to continue. The Sens make more money off afternoon games.

The Senators are playing more afternoon games than they have in the past. Part of the reason is the club may stand to gain more revenues from the local broadcast package they have with Sportsnet.

If the Senators drop the puck before 3 p.m. on Saturday, then the window for Hockey Night in Canada to have exclusive rights to the game doesn't exist which translates into more advertising money from the local broadcast package.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/13/ottawa-sens-attendance-numbers-down-but-revenues-on-the-rise

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I find the building is so quiet during afternoon games. It makes for a terrible atmosphere. I blame more kids and less drinking. I wonder what beer sales numbers are during 1pm games.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hate afternoon games though. I start work at 11pm so no way I'll be up for the game. Screw the families that dont even go!

I know the feeling. I'm an overnight shifter myself. Always try to stay up for the afternoon games, but it rarely works. I usually end up having the tv or radio on and just listen to them (if I haven't fallen asleep already).

Mr_Squeaks

Poor Impulse Control
Jul 2, 2006
Ottawa
To be honest, I'm surprised the league doesn't hand a Columbus/Ottawa game an AM start time. 10:17AM puck drop, 5 minute intermissions. I feel so unloved. :(

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To be honest, I'm surprised the league doesn't hand a Columbus/Ottawa game an AM start time. 10:17AM puck drop, 5 minute intermissions. I feel so unloved. :(

lol, now that I would love. Finally pretend to be one of the normals and go to a game after work instead of before. :handclap::nod::laugh:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Sens games just sound right with Dean and Denis IMO. Always happy to be away from HNIC. I grew up on them and all that but I prefer a Friday night/Sunday afternoon combo of two games on my weekend to one broadcast on HNIC on Saturday with the annoying HNIC crew. At this point I can't even stand MacLean. PJ Stock is the only guy worth listening to on the entire broadcast, and with the 'modern' media being all Leafs, all the time... I'll pass thanks.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Too bad they put today's game right up against the CFL eastern final. That has to have a bit of an impact on walk up ticket sales

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All these afternoon/Friday/Sunday games suck. Since I was a kid I always was able to what my team play.

Not a big fan of Advertising dollars over HNIC. Sure, it is the fiscally responsible thing to do but from a fans point of view it is a real drain.

It must kind of irk some of the players too.

We have had really bad crowds compared to years past. Not saying attendance numbers but the atmosphere.

I really hope next season things go back to "normal".

Its pathetic that a Canadian hockey team gets this schedule.

Whatever keeps the Sens away from CBC is good. Awful announcers and unhidden bias.

Oh you wanna hear Denis Potvin and the local version of Dean Brown? They are the one of the worst in the business. They are also so biased no thanks, any chance to hear someone else. No thanks they are absolutely terrible. I have to hear that 'litem up up up, lite em up up u'. Song 45 times a broadcast.

SensNo1

Sens#1
Oct 11, 2006
Toronto
I used to like the afternoon games when it meant CBC would be showing them, since it increased the number of games us Toronto based Sens fans could watch without CI. Now that Sportsnet has the rights, that's even fewer games on TV and we have few enough as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad