HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Saturday Night Live - 45 years and counting

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ej-21BDXYAIFkF6.jpg

This is how SNL began

Later in that show was a loose cannon who was known in Boston as a headliner at Oliver's which today is the Cask & Flagon

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Still great after all these years. I dvr the show so I have not seen last nights. The debate last week was one of the shows greatest skits ever. For me, the best era was Sandler, Spade, Farley, Hartman, etc mid 90s.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Comedy is generational, and if you watch Saturday Night Live, you will probably enjoy the cast of your youth more than any other period (Norm Macdonald is the best!). That said, Saturday Night Live is clearly the most influential comedy program ever when you factor in how many stars got their break there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Never been a huge fan
You would have if you were in HS back in those days - we would have these huge parties at some kids house every weekend and when Saturday Night Live came on everyone would watch.

If we time traveled like the ghost of Christmas passed it would be jaw dropping this type of partying really happened - it would be front page news today in towns. Of course the drinking age was 18 and who didn’t have a fake ID at 16 or 17 and drive around drinking on the weekend

Looking back it’s right up there with ‘goalies really played without a mask?’

Two things stand out those daze - SNL on Saturday nights and Free Bird could take over any party

also the Bruins were usually on somewhere on TV 38 going in almost always on the road because I remember certain events like Dave Forbes on Henry Boucha or Darryl Sittler 10 points or the Atlanta Flsmes beating a strong Bruins team 9-0 and being wasted and at others houses watching it

SNL followed by a huge bowl of cocoa krispies after a night of heavy partying as a dumb ass yute was a typical Saturday night mid to late 70’s in HS

Reactions: StrBender

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not the best platform for Burr’s material, but I’d prefer watching him do stand up for an hour and a half instead.

Jack White killed it.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Comedy is generational, and if you watch Saturday Night Live, you will probably enjoy the cast of your youth more than any other period (Norm Macdonald is the best!). That said, Saturday Night Live is clearly the most influential comedy program ever when you factor in how many stars got their break there.

The episode where he returned to host after being fired is my favorite of all time.

His monologue is as dry and cutting as it gets.

“They fired me from the show because I wasn’t funny. Then they asked me to return to host. I haven’t gotten any funnier. The show’s just gotten REALLY bad.”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back in 2001, the country and especially NYC needed this and the punch line was pure gold

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/911-tribute-with-mayor-giuliani/n11612

"On our city's darkest day, their acts of heroism saved more than 25,000 lives," the mayor said, adopting the kind of strong, optimistic, and united attitude that he would come to be known for post-9/11: "Our hearts are broken, but they are beating. And they are beating stronger than ever."

It's a statement that described New York and New Yorkers in the weeks following September 11, 2001. For a city known for its hustle-and-bustle, "don't talk to me I'm in a hurry" attitude, the events of 9/11 united New Yorkers and Americans in a way that the country had never seen before. The 9/11 attacks were intended to bring down the U.S., but instead united us as a city, as a state, as a country. It brought us together. It made us human.

The musical guest that week was Paul Simon, who, clad in an FDNY hat, performed a poignant version of "The Boxer."

It was after this performance that SNL creator Lorne Michaels joined Mayor Giuliani and asked, "Can we be funny now?" eliciting a few titters from the audience.

"Why start now?" the mayor quipped. The audience roared.

Reactions: jgatie

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yeah, I grew up on the 90s SNL (mostly re-runs of the early-to-mid 90s episodes on Comedy Central like all day long during the summer), so that's the standard for me. Nothing will ever top Norm Macdonald's Weekend Update.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->