TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Maya as Kamala Harris was good. Always nice to see Larry David as Bernie Sanders.

I expected more from the season premiere though.

It often seems like the more time they have to write the worse their material is.

That episode was bad. Even Weekend Update was garbage.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Actually there was one good line in the opening bit.

"Look, I'm like a plastic straw. I've been around forever. I always worked but now you're mad at me."
Yeah, the Biden part was good. Right balance of critique and humor. Larry David always does a good Bernie. A little less Kamala would've been better. Could've done something with Yang.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't like Larry David's Bernie at all. Granted I don't listen to a lot of Bernie speeches, but the "cooky old man" thing doesnt seem to be his MO. If anything that is Biden's deal, what with his comments last debate about making sure kids arent listening to too much radio.

Its just Larry David doing bad Larry David jokes.

Which is a pretty consistent problem for SNL. The writing never makes any sense. They just meander between applause lines while relying way too heavily on guest appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't like Larry David's Bernie at all. Granted I don't listen to a lot of Bernie speeches, but the "cooky old man" thing doesnt seem to be his MO. If anything that is Biden's deal, what with his comments last debate about making sure kids arent listening to too much radio.

Its just Larry David doing bad Larry David jokes.
Yeah, I'd agree. It's a bad imitation of Bernie if they want to be realistic. The media likes portraying him as a screaming old man, but that's not really him. He does some of his mannerisms good though, that's why I sort of like it for SNL standards. It's not as bad as Kate doing Warren though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah anytime they include anything involving Warren its terrible. Every bit as bad as their Hillary stuff. They just make it so transparent who their candidate of choice is and its not funny.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah anytime they include anything involving Warren its terrible. Every bit as bad as their Hillary stuff. They just make it so transparent who their candidate of choice is and its not funny.
At least Kate did a decent job of looking the part with Hillary, sort of like Larry with Bernie, but the Warren piece just missed for me.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I have a soft spot for Larry's Bernie, even if it's not the most accurate depiction ("Bern Your Enthusiasm" was one of the best SNL skits in recent memory). Larry's become a good comedic actor over the years and the jokes are funny. His line about accidentally hitting the input button cracked me up.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This whole Cosby thing goes back to Eddie Murphy Raw. I am really surprised his camp responded in such a manner, with all Eddie really did is mention he is in jail. That's a fact and Eddie could have lit him up so much more.

Bill needs to have a coke from the prison commissary and a smile and shut the f*** up. After what he did...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozz

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Too bad that one line is getting all the pub, because that was a great all-around episode. Seeing Eddie get back to his roots and doing edgy comedy again warms my heart.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That sketch was lightning in a bottle, no way to replicate it. Plus, James Brown wasn’t a recurring character.

They say that when you get older your memory is the 2nd thing that starts to go ( I forget what's the 1st thing to go ) and I really thought Murphy did the James Brown Hot Tub thing a few more times. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad