TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Actually thought the past two episodes were among the most consistent all season. The writing in the Sandra Oh ep was almost uniformly solid, and Kit Harrington had real presence and did a much better job than I expected.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Mulaney doing the "Cha Cha Slide" was pretty funny actually. I missed it when it first aired. The big guy behind him cracked me up. Might have to steal some of his moves.

Cha Cha Slide #SNL

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Loved Sandler's movies when I was a kid but didn't have high expectations. Glad he delivered though, and I guess even after almost 24 years you CAN still go back home again.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
I never knew Sandler and Rock were fired. Is anyone today half as funny?

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't know either until someone mentioned it while talking about Opera Man on a podcast Sunday. I thought he left of his own free will. He seems to have done pretty well for himself after he left SNL.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I didn't know either until someone mentioned it while talking about Opera Man on a podcast Sunday. I thought he left of his own free will. He seems to have done pretty well for himself after he left SNL.

If I recall correctly, they would have been booted during the transition period from the Hartman era to the Ferrell/late 90s crew. My guess is Lorne Michaels must have either wanted a clean break with the past or a tone change.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Well, if all you like is frat boy humor and poopy jokes, then no, there is no one as "funny" today. At least as far as Sandler goes.

94-95 might be the worst year in the history of SNL and Adam Sandler and one or two of his buddies on the show played a huge role in the decline. His brand of humour got old real quick. Thankfully, the show had a refresh the following year with a mostly brand new cast.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Rock didn’t have a ton of success on SNL. He took off after he left. Sandler and Farley being fired surprises me, but they changed pretty much the entire cast after the 94-95 season. There weren’t many cast members to return for 95-96. Myers, Carvey and Hartman were already gone by the time they were fired. It was likely time for some new people to come in.

I enjoyed the show this past weekend. Loved that Sandler brought back opera man, and his song about Farley was great and sad at the same time.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
That was a pretty darn good episode with the exception of the clothes/holes song. WTF was that?

Yeah, I'm already fine if they decided to move on from Beck Bennett, but that pretty much sealed it for me. Extremely limited performer. Unfortunately a one-trick pony with the hilarious baby boss.

I guess they tried something and completely missed

Weirdest part was the placement. That was what, the second thing in the episode? Should've been way later (or ideally, scrapped).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

On one of the SNL documentaries, a few of the guys from that cast mentioned how they "killed themselves off" in this polar bear sketch: Polar Bear Cage

It's interesting to look back on it now, but in the moment SNL looked vulnerable. MadTV started off looking strong and CBS tried to bring in The State from MTV but that fell apart after one poorly advertised show (I loved The State and I don't even remember if I knew they had a special on CBS at the time).

That seems to be another constant with SNL. That SNL documentary had various performers/producers over the years mention how everybody always hates the current cast and loves the ones from before. I remember one producer saying something along the lines of "It's always a culture shock when your kids become the target audience."

I didn't watch a ton of In Living Color, but I had zero clue that Chris Rock was on it, albeit briefly as he mentioned during the monologue.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maya as Kamala Harris was good. Always nice to see Larry David as Bernie Sanders.

I expected more from the season premiere though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->