TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think it was a "bonding over trauma" thing. Davidson's dad died in 9/11. Ariana lived through her own personal 9/11 with the Manchester bombings.

It was never, ever going to last, and that feels like the most obvious statement of all time.

His little "monologue" joke thing on Weekend Update was basically a cry for help....the dude is super f***ed up and it ought to have scared Arianna off more than she will ever admit (or at least not for a while).

Also he's really, really unfunny. He must be writing lots of stuff behind the scenes because I can't see a justification for his presence on the show beyond his very tragic and very local New York upbringing. The joke he made regarding his relationship with Grande, that he felt like a make-a-wish kid, that what his entire presence on SNL feels like. He is the show's mascot.

The show in general was bad this week. Even Weekend Update was shit. The only joke I kinda liked was Michael Che's "how much money does this ***** owe in taxes?".

Reactions: SoupNazi

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, not a great episode.

I thought his Ariana Grande monologue during Update in a previous episode was the kiss of death for the relationship.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah, not a great episode.

I thought his Ariana Grande monologue during Update in a previous episode was the kiss of death for the relationship.

It was so weird and really laid bare how poorly adjusted he is as a human being. It was almost like he wanted it to be over because it made him feel uncomfortable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was so weird and really laid bare how poorly adjusted he is as a human being. It was almost like he wanted it to be over because it made him feel uncomfortable.

Well, it has to be tough to be with a celebrity of that stature.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who likes to hang out on the couch, smoke weed, veg out and make fun of stuff he sees on TV.

Generally, talented celebrities are "A type" people who work hard and want more out of their partner - at least, some semblance of ambition and their own individual life.

He seemed to have glommed on to her fame and it's always a bit uncomfortable for both parties. He can't just be famous for being Ariana Grande's boyfriend/fiance, and that editorial was basically admitting it.

I agree that he probably wasn't too keen about it either. The fact that he brought up that if they broke up, he'd still have a song named after him with unsurprisingly prophetic. He made fun of the outfits he wore in her presence which she likely picked out for him.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, it has to be tough to be with a celebrity of that stature.

Meh.....I put a lot of it on Pete. Colin Jost has been dating Scarlet Johannson for a good while now and he pretty much NEVER mentions it or even alludes to it. Che talks about Jost's famous GF more than Jost does.

Pete seems like a super f***ed up guy who is significantly indulged due to his history (again, a native NYer who lost family in 9/11) and the wokeness he brings to the show by having a dude with serious mental problems on staff.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pete seems like a super ****ed up guy who is significantly indulged due to his history (again, a native NYer who lost family in 9/11) and the wokeness he brings to the show by having a dude with serious mental problems on staff.

I find some of his bits funny.

I know I'm in the minority.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I MUST be in the minority because I

1) Didn't care about Davidson/Grande in the first place
2) Didn't mind the first 3 episodes 'cause I'm just glad it's back (with the caveat that because I PVR it I can always fast-forward)
3) Still kind of like this show.

If the SNL were an NHL franchise I'd even say it might be good enough to make the playoffs this year after missing them the last 5 years.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I can't remember the last time I watched SNL, but I usually found Davis decent at worst and one of the better cast members at best. I absolutely do not give a f*** about his relationship, and as far as Grande goes I could not possibly care any less. I consider her music fake, manufacture garbage and that gets no respect from me.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I like the serving of crow they fed Davidson over the weekend, both for his ill-fated joke at Congressman Crenshaw's expense last week as well as him getting dumped for basically cheating on his girlfriend and then bragging about it. Two things, though.

First, when Crenshaw's phone rang and the ringtone was Grande's song, too funny. :laugh:

Second, was the eyepatch joke even written by Davidson, or was he just reading the teleprompter? If it's something he just ad-libbed on the spot, yeah, very poor form. But if he's just reading lines that someone else wrote, he kind of got sandbagged.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like the serving of crow they fed Davidson over the weekend, both for his ill-fated joke at Congressman Crenshaw's expense last week as well as him getting dumped for basically cheating on his girlfriend and then bragging about it. Two things, though.

First, when Crenshaw's phone rang and the ringtone was Grande's song, too funny. :laugh:

Second, was the eyepatch joke even written by Davidson, or was he just reading the teleprompter? If it's something he just ad-libbed on the spot, yeah, very poor form. But if he's just reading lines that someone else wrote, he kind of got sandbagged.

the eye patch joke was written by Davidson

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Pretty good ep heading into the break. Daddy show was great, the Christmas video was well done, and the Weezer sketch came completely out of nowhere and was a very welcome delight. The hosting has been fairly spotty this year, but Damon was very solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->