TV: Saturday Night Live 40 years live? and beyond -MOD 724

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I have no idea who's leaving or staying on the show next season, but my opinion is:

- Kate and Cecily are the backbone of the show, and losing either would be a huge setback

- Update is perfect aside from some weak guest spots. Jost and Che are great together

- The future of the show looks good. Moffat, Gardner and Redd all improved greatly as the season went along, and hopefully will get more screen time next season

- I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Beck Bennett. He doesn't have much of a range from character to character, and rarely makes me laugh. The only cast member I'd rate below him is Leslie Jones, who is an automatic channel-changer for me.

- I'm ambivalent about the rest of the cast. Thompson, Day, Bryant, Mooney and Davidson all have good moments, but I don't think I'd miss any of them if they left. Actually, I'd probably miss Keenan.

- The biggest problem is the writing. Too many sketches and WU guest spots were retreads of earlier ideas that weren't that funny the first time. Actually, I think some of the stronger sketches this season are ones that are on the last half-hour, when I assume they're more willing to go with newer, more experimental ideas.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I have no idea who's leaving or staying on the show next season, but my opinion is:

- Kate and Cecily are the backbone of the show, and losing either would be a huge setback

- Update is perfect aside from some weak guest spots. Jost and Che are great together

- The future of the show looks good. Moffat, Gardner and Redd all improved greatly as the season went along, and hopefully will get more screen time next season

- I know I'm in the minority, but I can't stand Beck Bennett. He doesn't have much of a range from character to character, and rarely makes me laugh. The only cast member I'd rate below him is Leslie Jones, who is an automatic channel-changer for me.

- I'm ambivalent about the rest of the cast. Thompson, Day, Bryant, Mooney and Davidson all have good moments, but I don't think I'd miss any of them if they left. Actually, I'd probably miss Keenan.

- The biggest problem is the writing. Too many sketches and WU guest spots were retreads of earlier ideas that weren't that funny the first time. Actually, I think some of the stronger sketches this season are ones that are on the last half-hour, when I assume they're more willing to go with newer, more experimental ideas.

Some of this I agree with, some of it I vehemently disagree with.

I agree that Kate is the backbone of the show...not sure I'd include Cecily in there, though I'd consider her integral to it (but below Kate in terms of overall importance). I would agree with your take on Moffatt, Gardner, and Redd and that they improved a lot all year, but I would also include Day in there. I think he and Moffatt, along with Redd, are going to be the primary males going forward (or at least they should be). Particularly Day and Moffatt seem to work well with one another in the sketches they're in. I also thought Villasenor came along nicely too.

I kinda disagree on Kenan (and I see you sort of changed your stance towards the end of your thought), and that's only because not ever castmember is going to be a bonafide "hit" all the time. I think he knows his role quite well, and he dose possess the ability to be dropped in to just about any sketch and perform admirably in it. Sort of like a utility player--and the last GREAT utility player SNL had was Phil Hartman. Now I don't think Kenan is on his level, but he possess the same attributes in his ability to be dropped in to sketches.

And I wholeheartedly agree on Weekend Update. Those two were a little bumpy at first, but they have really good chemistry together, and honestly Jost and Che just continue to kill it every time now.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I had to dig for this thread just so I can express how much I hate Heidi Gardner.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

We should start hearing within the next two weeks what changes will occur

but based upon previous contracts--3 of their contracts are up for renegotiations

Bryant, Strong and McKinnon all are at the tail end of their contracts and so they have the option of being able to decide the own future if they want

The currently have 6 people listed under the "featuring" category--I think we will see movement there

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I had to dig for this thread just so I can express how much I hate Heidi Gardner.

Yeah, I’m not sure about her. I don’t hate her, but she hasn’t been a standout either. I’m cool if she comes back, and cool if she doesn’t.

It would be nice to have a couple of real strong male cast members that can go toe to toe with Kate and Cecily.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
What a disappointing season finale last night, although the quasi 30 Rock reunion was cool.

Overall not a bad season though. Lazy writing as has been the case the last few years. However the cast has descent chemistry which hasn't been the case in awhile.

In terms of episodes Hader was my favourite. In terms of cast Mckinnon and Strong were my mvps this season. Kenan is still Kenan. Redd and Vilasennor, based on limited screen time and online material of their non SNL work need more sketches. Gardner and especially Null need to be let go.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What a disappointing season finale last night, although the quasi 30 Rock reunion was cool.

Overall not a bad season though. Lazy writing as has been the case the last few years. However the cast has descent chemistry which hasn't been the case in awhile.

In terms of episodes Hader was my favourite. In terms of cast Mckinnon and Strong were my mvps this season. Kenan is still Kenan. Redd and Vilasennor, based on limited screen time and online material of their non SNL work need more sketches. Gardner and especially Null need to be let go.

I quite enjoyed the finale. Tina is always great, and I enjoyed all the cameo appearances. Fun episode imo.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The "LIVE FROM NEW YORK..." in the cold open last weekend was particularly egregious.

They have definitively given up writing the line into a joke or even just into the dialogue of the sketch. It is now literally nothing more than a turn to camera, smile, and say the line.

It is my biggest pet peeve of the show. They literally don't even try anymore.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The "LIVE FROM NEW YORK..." in the cold open last weekend was particularly egregious.

They have definitively given up writing the line into a joke or even just into the dialogue of the sketch. It is now literally nothing more than a turn to camera, smile, and say the line.

It is my biggest pet peeve of the show. They literally don't even try anymore.

Well, the whole sketch was a spoof of the last episode of the Sopranos, which ends with a fade to black.

That's why they faded to black and then came back for the "Live from New York" and didn't incorporate it into the sketch.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, the whole sketch was a spoof of the last episode of the Sopranos, which ends with a fade to black.

That's why they faded to black and then came back for the "Live from New York" and didn't incorporate it into the sketch.

I get that...but it is proof that they literally don't consider it relevant anymore because they wrote a sketch (a sketch spoofing a decade old tv episode I might add) where saying the line naturally was not even possible.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sounds like some contracts are up. Could be interesting to see who leaves this time

I heard somewhere every new cast member signs a 7 year contract. Obviously they can leave before that if they want to, or the show can decide to move on from them. I was surprised the contracts are that long.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Saw on twitter that Luke Null won’t be back. That’s the only news on the cast I’ve seen so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad