Pre-Game Talk: Saturday - Hurricanes @ Leafs - 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yeah and even if the Leafs manage to make up the 3 regulation wins and still end up tied with Florida, it would mean Florida will have vaulted us in ROW wins. Gotta win this outright.

What? If we catch them in RW, it is 99% likely that we are still ahead in ROW.

It is unlikely we will catch them in RW, but if we do we will most likely still be ahead in ROW unless FLA starts winning all of their games in OT.

Not sure if you dont realize that ROW means regulation + OT wins? Therefore every regulation win also gets added as 1 to our ROW.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Up 2 points in the playoff race and TPA on the horizon I don’t expect much of an effort tonight.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Perfect time to test this new found 'WORK' ethic.

Canes are the perfect opponent imo.

Canes are maybe the BEST possession team in the NHL or one of the best.

Canes are hard working - they take their lead from their coach Brind'Amour, who knows about work ethic.

Leafs can't be nonchalant on the PP, when they get one cause the Canes score a lot of shorties.

GAME WITHIN THE GAME:
Expect Reims starts: btw, he has a better record than Mrazek (and Freddy of course), so, there's that.

I truly hope the Leafs bring their lunch pails because they are going to need them for this one.

Reactions: Vaive50

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
And that's like the only run we've had since 2004 or something.

Nah, we had a couple of good runs with Babcock also, you don't just get 105 points in a season without a few good runs. We also had a few good runs in the shortened 2012/13 season.

I hope our boys can learn from that last game against the Pens, they can do it when they want to against any team, the Pens were supposed to be a better team in that game than they were in the first game because they had Malkin.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
We honestly played well on some back to backs, it was just Hutchinson playing dodge ball in net

And the worse one of all was our first B2B when we were ahead of the Habs 4-1 in the 3rd period and ended up losing 6-5 in OT, sure that was only 1 lost point but that could be the difference maker if we end up tied with Florida since they have the lead in RW and ROW.

Reactions: AvroArrow

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
What? If we catch them in RW, it is 99% likely that we are still ahead in ROW.

It is unlikely we will catch them in RW, but if we do we will most likely still be ahead in ROW unless FLA starts winning all of their games in OT.

Not sure if you dont realize that ROW means regulation + OT wins? Therefore every regulation win also gets added as 1 to our ROW.

Not if they tie us in points (like I said) which inherently means they picked up a few ROWs if we tied them in RWs. I.e., we could win 3 regulation games but lose 2 outright and they could win 3 in OT and lose 1 outright right now and have the tiebreak on us. Basically, we need to be up a point.

Reactions: Community

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Perfect time to test this new found 'WORK' ethic.

Canes are the perfect opponent imo.

Canes are maybe the BEST possession team in the NHL or one of the best.

Canes are hard working - they take their lead from their coach Brind'Amour, who knows about work ethic.

Leafs can't be nonchalant on the PP, when they get one cause the Canes score a lot of shorties.

GAME WITHIN THE GAME:
Expect Reims starts: btw, he has a better record than Mrazek (and Freddy of course), so, there's that.

I truly hope the Leafs bring their lunch pails because they are going to need them for this one.

Yeah but none of that showed when the Canes gave up a 5-3 lead in the third to lose 8-6 to the Leafs last game. I remember how upset I was when the Canes scored 3 goals in the second period in 1 min and 4 seconds but then in the third period when the Canes were leading 6-4, the Leafs score 3 goals in 59 seconds.

I'd rather they play like they did against the Pens on Thursday.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Not if they tie us in points (like I said) which inherently means they picked up a few ROWs if we tied them in RWs. I.e., we could win 3 regulation games but lose 2 outright and they could win 3 in OT and lose 1 outright right now and have the tiebreak on us. Basically, we need to be up a point.

Unless they get a few more SO wins and OT/SO losses. I think order of likeliness is:

1. We stay behind in RW
2. We catch them in RW and stay ahead in ROW
3. We catch them in RW but fall behind in ROW

Most likely we need more points than them to make it though so I agree with that.

At the end of the day, they gotta worry more about winning games than their potential tiebreakers. Win both of (at minimum split) the games vs Florida and hopefully get on a win streak soon.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It could be a last game as a Leaf for somebody, COULD be. I just hope they can tune that out and focus. Coaching staff, leadership group, has to drill it into their heads that they need to play more like Thursday every night. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but it has to be consistent. All the top contenders are consistent.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Is Carolina gonna play like we do on the back half of a back to backs? Naw probably not.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, even when we played the Sens on their 2nd of B2B's, we barely beat them in OT 2-1, same with the Ducks. We can beat any team if we want to as proved on Thursday but unfortunately, our boys think that their skill alone will win them games, hopefully they now see what the hard work added to that skill does for you as they did against the Pens.

Reactions: Burnie97

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Leafs have only one b2b left so what's the point? Backups don't play in playoffs anyway. Campbell will only start 1-2 games in this season.

And what happens if Freddy gets injured in the playoffs, it'll be nice to have someone who isn't so stale.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->