Sather's worst mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Probably his trades with the New York Rangers. I think it's just crazy that with all the trades he had made with the Rangers, sending people like Messier, Lowe, Tikkanen, and whomever else to New York that he didn't get at least one of Leetch, Richter, Zubov or Amonte back.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Stephen said:
Probably his trades with the New York Rangers. I think it's just crazy that with all the trades he had made with the Rangers, sending people like Messier, Lowe, Tikkanen, and whomever else to New York that he didn't get at least one of Leetch, Richter, Zubov or Amonte back.

In fairness, he did get Weight, Marchant and Nichols...

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Trading Mark Messier. Oilers up until that point had survived about as much as Keith Richards, but that was the killer.

You don't trade guys like Mark Messier in their primes. The Oilers have been just another bunch of guys since then.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Leaving Edmonton and destroying the myth he was actually a great hockey man. He had some luck early on in his career and has lived off of it for the last 20 years where his record as a GM has been poor at best.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I think that his biggest mistake was also going to New York and trying to build an instant winner. All GMs can do is throw money at the situation.

At the time I thought he would have been better in Phoenix than New York.

Cosis

Hasbro said:
As part of our continuing series; what was Glen Sather's biggest mistake?

I'm going to go with his drafting after 1984.

His worst mistake was moving to NY and becoming a big hypocrite.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
Not getting a contract done with Adam Graves allowing the Rangers to swoop in and sign him as a restricted free agent, with Messier being traded only a couple months later Graves is the kind of character player who could of offset some of the leadership lost. The Oilers didn't do a great job in the arbitration hearing either getting useless Troy Mallette as compensation. I don't think Graves would of ever had his 52 goal season as an Oiler but he would of been consistent 30 goal power forward, and probably captain.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
Leaving Edmonton and destroying the myth he was actually a great hockey man. He had some luck early on in his career and has lived off of it for the last 20 years where his record as a GM has been poor at best.

Ditto.

Why he is thought of as a good GM is beyond me. He was lucky in Edmonton (inheriting one helluva a team), and hasn't done squat since 1992!

NYIsles1*

dawgbone said:
In fairness, he did get Weight, Marchant and Nichols...
What he got was cash. Eight million for Messier, another million for holdout Kevin Lowe. Louie Debrusk, Steven Rice?

Where were the NHL police to void these deals unless Richter and Leetch went to Edmonton.

Ranger even got the rights to Beukeboom the next year for a low draft pick. :shakehead

BDubinskyNYR17*

NYIsles1 said:
What he got was cash. Eight million for Messier, another million for holdout Kevin Lowe. Louie Debrusk, Steven Rice?

Where were the NHL police to void these deals unless Richter and Leetch went to Edmonton.

Ranger even got the rights to Beukeboom the next year for a low draft pick. :shakehead

Drafting was horrible. Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore, signing Ulanov.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
NYIsles1 said:

Low draft pick?David Shaw went to Edmonton for Jeff Beukeboom but that deal was part of the Mark Messier deal.It happened one month after the Rangers acquired Messier

Kevin Lowe did not become a Ranger until December 1992

Think Edmonton could have afforded Richter and Leetch even back then?

Peter Pocklington was selling off his players for cash.He did not get cash for Lowe but he did for Messier and Wayne Gretzky

Edmonton received Roman Oksiuta and a third round pick in 1993(Alexander Kerch) for Lowe and there were not many teams looking at Lowe who wanted $1 million per and 33 years old

Thinking he was a better GM than he was a coach. To me he's a pretty underrated coach.

Yeah he inherited a great team, but he deserves all the credit for molding those guys into the offensive machine that they were. It's not that easy motivating a team full of 19 and 20 year olds to take on the world. Glen did a great job at that.

outKast*

JOrtmeyer41 said:
Drafting was horrible. Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore, signing Ulanov.
hate to correct you man, but Ulanov has been always been solid for Edmonton. I know Florida hates him, but Igor Ulanov has a huge fan base in Edmonton. He's a good defenseman.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Sonny Lamateena said:
Not getting a contract done with Adam Graves allowing the Rangers to swoop in and sign him as a restricted free agent

I agree... that was a Grave mistake.

Vomiting Kermit*

usher said:
hate to correct you man, but Ulanov has been always been solid for Edmonton. I know Florida hates him, but Igor Ulanov has a huge fan base in Edmonton. He's a good defenseman.
I think JOrtmeyer41 meant when Sather signed Ulanov in 2001 (to the Rangers).

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
usher said:

Here's a little SAT analogy

Ulanob ::: Edmonton

as

Hill ::: Carolina

For some reason these guys play well for one team and their fans swear by em, or go somewhere else and stink up the joint.

BDubinskyNYR17*

Evil Sather said:
Here's a little SAT analogy

Ulanob ::: Edmonton

as

Hill ::: Carolina

For some reason these guys play well for one team and their fans swear by em, or go somewhere else and stink up the joint.

At least Poti stunk in Edmonton and NY, while York thrived in Edmonton. :mad: Worst deal Sather made as Rangers GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->