Sather at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/08/23/1184302-sun.html

According to Garrioch this quote:
"There was talk last night both of those contracts may have been motivated by the fact Rangers GM Glen Sather was sniffing around and looking at the possibility of making an offer sheet to both players (Nash & Lecavalier). "

I've always been a fan of Sather going back to the Oiler dynasty days but I think this finally turns me from him. This guy was a key part of salary escalation during the last CBA and now he is at it again. Somebody should muzzle this guy or force him into retirement.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
when has garrioch been right about the crazy rumors he starts? and do you honestly think that even if true, the rangers would be the *only* team in the NHL thinking about offering offer sheets?

in fact, this just speculates that sather might have been thinking about doing this...he didn't even do it. so honestly, ***.

Diehardfan419

Jul 24, 2005
Branchburg, NJ
Why? Dont get me wrong, as a NYR Season Ticket holder, Im not a huge fan of Sathers, but if its within the rules to do what he SUPOSEDLY WAS DOING in the article, you cant say much. It's a salary cap world now, so whats stopping any other GM from sniffing around potential restricted FA's? The Rangers have loads of cap space and a slew full of up and coming young prospetcs. Plus, we have no real high priced long term commitments to players, other than Kasper and Malik.. ( And they are not too overwhelming, considering what defencmen are going for in the league today.)

And as far as Sather being soley responble for the escalation of salaires...check again.

Flyers, Avalanche, Red Wings..heck even Boston ( Lapointe) had as much to do with it as the Rangers did.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
Diehardfan419 said:
Why? Dont get me wrong, as a NYR Season Ticket holder, Im not a huge fan of Sathers, but if its within the rules to do what he SUPOSEDLY WAS DOING in the article, you cant say much. It's a salary cap world now, so whats stopping any other GM from sniffing around potential restricted FA's? The Rangers have loads of cap space and a slew full of up and coming young prospetcs. Plus, we have no real high priced long term commitments to players, other than Kasper and Malik.. ( And they are not too overwhelming, considering what defencmen are going for in the league today.)

And as far as Sather being soley responble for the escalation of salaires...check again.

Flyers, Avalanche, Red Wings..heck even Boston ( Lapointe) had as much to do with it as the Rangers did.

Did I say that the rangers were solely responsible? I said they were a key part of the escalation and if you don't believe that I have 2 words for you ... Sakic and Holic. Othrewise I agree with you, those other teams were also responsible.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
The all-too-easy Ranger bashing aside, what happens if a team makes offers to two high-profile RFAs and gets both of them? If they owed a handful of firsts to two different teams, do they have to mutually decide (between the three of them) which years go to which teams, or is there a mechanism in place to decide it?

Or, for that matter, can you make an offer sheet if you've traded away all your draft picks for the coming years?

casualobserver

Aug 2, 2005
Anybody that believes everything they read . Goodnight.Garrioch is a jerk,"there
was talk last night" that is hearsay,not admissable in court.Lets run it up the flagpole
and see if anybody salutes it.And sure enough ,there are some suckers out there,
that go for it hook line and sinker.Well to everybody his own.
Take everything with a grain of salt.and do not believe half of what you
read.

:shakehead :biglaugh: :confused: :madfire:

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
JimmyPage said:
Did I say that the rangers were solely responsible? I said they were a key part of the escalation and if you don't believe that I have 2 words for you ... Sakic and Holic. Othrewise I agree with you, those other teams were also responsible.

Like there were not 5 or 6 other teams ready to give Holik the same kind of contract. Get the fact straight before taking the easy way out with the Rangers. WHat about vancouver with Messier? What about the Islanders with Yashin???Shall I go on?

AG9NK35DT8*

Yeah, yeah we all know as NYR fans that everything negative in this league is because of the NYR's .. Blah Blah Blah..... Is it NY's fault they got basically more $$ than anyone in the world, let alone this is the best city in the US, anyway, if they got it ( $$$ )then use it and I dont care as long as it is used for the right reasons ( not 35 year old , 4million $$ vets ex. ).

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
JimmyPage said:

I got news for you, the Devils and Maple Leafs offered similar contracts to Holik and he chose the Rangers. Another one nobody seems to mention is Karmanos' offer sheet to Federov and then he became one of the chief complainers about the previous CBA

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
JimmyPage said:
1. That's three words.

2. It's Holik, not Holic.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
JimmyPage said:

While i agree with you that both the Sakic and Holik deals helped other players drive up their price tag, even under the old economic landscape of the NHL, $8million for Sakic ain't too bad. Recently, Lecavalier got $6.8million a year in a league with a cap. Now Vinnie is a great player and will be for years to come, but Sakic is (at least in my opinion) better. He has all the skills you could want, while playing both sides of the puck (well, maybe not a crushing bodycheck) and has great leadership qualities. I would say he was worth an $8million contract.

I know this wasn't really about the value of the Holik and Sakic deals and this demonstrates the recklessness of some GM's but i would have said in the old NHL that the Sakic deal would be fair. And while his contract was part of the reason prices went up, if GM's place the same financial value on a Holik as they do on a Sakic then it really illustrates the problems within the league that having too much money available creates.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
bubba5 said:
Like there were not 5 or 6 other teams ready to give Holik the same kind of contract. Get the fact straight before taking the easy way out with the Rangers. WHat about vancouver with Messier? What about the Islanders with Yashin???Shall I go on?

I'll say this again because it is obviously not getting through: I did not say the rags are solely responsible so yes, there will be bad contracts unrelated to them, ie: Messier, Yashin, Lapointe, Thornton bonuses, but anyone who doesn't think they were a major contributor to the problems (ie: kasper, Holik, Sakic offer) is living in a bubble.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
cecilnyr said:
I got news for you, the Devils and Maple Leafs offered similar contracts to Holik and he chose the Rangers. Another one nobody seems to mention is Karmanos' offer sheet to Federov and then he became one of the chief complainers about the previous CBA

Actually, I was aware of the simalar leafs offer (another team I hold responsible to salary escalation), didn't know the devils offered an equivalent amount which comes as quite a suprise given Lou is one of the best GMs as well if Holik was offered that By NJ, why didn't he stay there? As for the federov offer sheet, I was aware of that as well an consider that up there with the sakic offer sheet in regards to price influence. Too bad Karmanos had it out for Ilitch.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
Qui Gon Dave said:
While i agree with you that both the Sakic and Holik deals helped other players drive up their price tag, even under the old economic landscape of the NHL, $8million for Sakic ain't too bad. Recently, Lecavalier got $6.8million a year in a league with a cap. Now Vinnie is a great player and will be for years to come, but Sakic is (at least in my opinion) better. He has all the skills you could want, while playing both sides of the puck (well, maybe not a crushing bodycheck) and has great leadership qualities. I would say he was worth an $8million contract.

I know this wasn't really about the value of the Holik and Sakic deals and this demonstrates the recklessness of some GM's but i would have said in the old NHL that the Sakic deal would be fair. And while his contract was part of the reason prices went up, if GM's place the same financial value on a Holik as they do on a Sakic then it really illustrates the problems within the league that having too much money available creates.

Very well said. I was just hoping for a bit of sanity at least for a little while into this new era.

bladeNYR

Jul 12, 2005
Staten Island, NY
JimmyPage said:
Very well said. I was just hoping for a bit of sanity at least for a little while into this new era.

Never happen. It makes me laugh with the majority of signings, lately. Some players are making more money now, than they would've received if there wasn't a lockout. Sanity went out the window a long time ago.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
the cap dictates players salary, Sather cannot escalate the players' salaries (not that there would be anything wrong with offering an offer sheet).

and, what the hell? when Garrioch says something bad about Sather we believe him all of the sudden?

Rucinsky and Malik were overpayments. Malik was a bad signing (Rucinsky won't hurt them a bit) but that's no one's problem but their own.

Ogopogo*

JimmyPage said:
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/08/23/1184302-sun.html

According to Garrioch this quote:
"There was talk last night both of those contracts may have been motivated by the fact Rangers GM Glen Sather was sniffing around and looking at the possibility of making an offer sheet to both players (Nash & Lecavalier). "

I've always been a fan of Sather going back to the Oiler dynasty days but I think this finally turns me from him. This guy was a key part of salary escalation during the last CBA and now he is at it again. Somebody should muzzle this guy or force him into retirement.

I am an Oilers fan and, I must say, In Edmonton, Sather was brilliant. He worked very well under budget constraints. It seems that he left his brain in Edmonton when he made the move out East.

I thought that the salary cap would force him to be intelligent once again. Time will tell.

bladeNYR

Jul 12, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Ogopogo said:
I am an Oilers fan and, I must say, In Edmonton, Sather was brilliant. He worked very well under budget constraints. It seems that he left his brain in Edmonton when he made the move out East.

I thought that the salary cap would force him to be intelligent once again. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, he met up with Jimmy Dolan's money and ego. I blame Dolan for the Ranger signings. He wanted the over the hill guys because they were big names at one point and he wanted these guys. I like what Sather's been doing lately. I just hope that some of their prospects pan out.

Might I suggest some summer reading for you guys: Bruce Dowbiggin's "Money Players." It's a real eye opener.

casualobserver

Aug 2, 2005
By tomorrow Garrioch is going to blame Sather and the NYR for forcing Hossas
trade to atlanta for Heatley.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :banana: :razz:

cecilnyr

Jun 28, 2005
Yes Jimmy, Lou offered somewhere between 41-43 million while the Rangers offered 45. While I believe that your not trying to solely blame the Rangers then perhaps the title of the thread should be something different than "Sather's at it again" because this implies that its Sathers/Rangers sole fault for rising salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad