Sather’s Quest for Deterrence Continues to Punish Rangers

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You noticed the trend. What you didn't notice or decided to ignore were guys like Backes, Hamonic, Evander Kane, Iginla and Simmonds or even Foligno, Ladd, Bufyglien and an upcoming kid like Tinordi. And we've only played about half the league so far. There's not nearly as many good players that can fight as there used to be--there still are more than you think.

You keep mentioning players with a few fights. But aren't known for fighting. Backes had one fighting major last year. Ladd isn't a frequent fighter. I don't remember the last time Byfuglien fought, Foligno does sometimes. Kane is borderline. Fighting isn't that much part of his game, but he does it with a little frequency. Tinordi is supposed to be a top 4 d man soon so I don't see why he'd be fighting a lot if he wants to stay in the lineup.

None of these players fight as a real part of their game. They are gritty players that fight sometimes. It's like saying Girardi and Callahan have fighting games. They dont.

I'll say it again, the role of skilled players that are also prevalent fighters is bordering on non existent at the NHL level.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The main issue I have with Glass is that he's not been an effective forechecker so far this season. Carcillo and Dorsett were also players with limited talent, but could dump the puck in and pressure the defense.
Not every player on the roster is going to be a scorer, so for me, I'd like my 4th line wingers to at least be able to do that.

Definitely agree with the fact that Glass has not been effective forechecking (on a regular basis) but then again, the rest of the forwards haven't been good at that part of the game all season--that's one reason why the team has been so average.

Is it far to blame the forward who gets the least amount of even strength time most nights for not doing something the whole group of forwards isn't doing? I just don't think Glass is important enough to single out for all this blame. There are so many other things that are not working well. And not having crucial players available due to all the injuries hasn't helped either obviously.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
That's because you're hellbent on making proclamations about what you think of hockey players while I find it more interesting to figure out what management is thinking. That's not contrarian. It's a different approach to analysis.

I guess I can't do both at the same time. I can't have an opinion of my own while also analyzing the actions of the people whose opinions matter unless my opinion and their actions agree. My bad. I'll stop.

And by the way, I don't think these guys are bad hockey players. Never once said that. They're good at their jobs and their jobs are limited. I prefer players with broader skill sets.

Why should you stop analyzing what management is thinking? It's part what is fun about being a sports fan. Kind of like a chess game. Fans have no control over the moves any teams make and while I understand the idea and appeal of fantasy leagues, we're talking about the real world here. Why get all worked up (beyond the usual fan reactions) over something you have absolutely no control over? Make it part of the game instead.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Definitely agree with the fact that Glass has not been effective forechecking (on a regular basis) but then again, the rest of the forwards haven't been good at that part of the game all season--that's one reason why the team has been so average.

Is it far to blame the forward who gets the least amount of even strength time most nights for not doing something the whole group of forwards isn't doing? I just don't think Glass is important enough to single out for all this blame. There are so many other things that are not working well. And not having crucial players available due to all the injuries hasn't helped either obviously.

Every single spot on the roster is important, so he deserves any blame just like anyone else. How could you look at the fourth line last year and then say something like that. He's not the only issue but he is a big issue. Just because some of the more important players aren't executing doesn't make Glass' awfulness less of a problem that you can ignore.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
This is what I was talking about pages ago. No one wants Glass on the team, and yet we still find ways to fight about him. :laugh: HE'S A ****ING MENACE!

Actually, I really just don't care about him--he's another in a revolving cast of players who move from team to team. Sometimes you develop a connection with them--I always liked Dom Moore, followed him (thanks to CI) through his whole career. Others, I might dislike, I might not mind, but out of sight out of mind once they leave.

In some ways, I think indifference is worse than hatred. Given the choice, many would pick being hated to being ignored.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why should you stop analyzing what management is thinking? It's part what is fun about being a sports fan. Kind of like a chess game. Fans have no control over the moves any teams make and while I understand the idea and appeal of fantasy leagues, we're talking about the real world here. Why get all worked up (beyond the usual fan reactions) over something you have absolutely no control over? Make it part of the game instead.

I was being sarcastic. There was an element of "see, you don't like him either!" going on there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
First off, none of us really knows what goes on with a team behind the scenes: on the plane, in the hotel, at team meals, etc. With social media we like to think we do, but we don't. Coaches love Glass and it has to be for the invisible stuff we don't see. I asked my son-in-law, who is a Pens fan, about Glass and he brought up the off ice stuff too. There is something about Glass that makes him repeatedly get jobs even though he is a pretty poor hockey player. Worth the money? Not to me, not to you, but to Sather and AV, apparently yes. I much rather have kept Dorsett, but there must be a reason why we let him go so easily even though he is more skilled than Glass. Off ice, stuff? We'll never know

This is HUGELY important. And it isn't just Glass. You could write the same paragraph about any of the names mentioned negatively in the article.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brian Boyle in his time with the Rangers use to get ragged on here incessantly as a crap hockey player by numerous posters. Now that he's gone he's remember a lot more fondly but I think a lot of the same posters never warmed up to him until last year's playoffs. Some of the complaints---He didn't score much. He couldn't create a play to save his life. Despite his size he never threw thunderous hits and he was mediocre defending himself--often embarrassed by much smaller guys. Even he'd take too many penalties.

What he was (at least for us)--was an excellent 4th line role player. Our best penalty killing forward (better than Callahan). A guy you could put out on the ice last shift of a game to protect a one goal lead. A guy who could win a face-off at a critical time. Someone who was strong along the walls and could help grind out games.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Boyle is a perfect example of a player suceeding when his skill set matched his role. Last year as strictly a 4th line center he had a fine year. As a result, most fans were happy with hin and now remember him fondly.

In previous years, and as a result of situational goal scoring success he had early in his second year here, he often often put into a 3rd line role. His limited offensive skill set never allowed him to do well there and fans ragged on him.

We were lucky last year to be injury free at center allowing Boyle to stay in the role he is most suited for. As a 4th line center, BB is a success, as a 3rd line center, a failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad