Post-Game Talk: Sat. Oct. 5th, 2019: Caps v. Canes, Rock the Red (Carpet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
PP is broken without Kuznetsov. It's one-and-done because they can't even get to the zone and the reason is obvious. 3 of the guys are lazy and don't care to skate to retrieve the puck, and the fourth guy in Oshie just doesn't have the speed to do so. That was pathetic.

It's hardly a surprise though. When Kuznetsov is on the line-up he skates the puck into the zone about 90% of the time.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
PP is broken without Kuznetsov. It's one-and-done because they can't even get to the zone and the reason is obvious. 3 of the guys are lazy and don't care to skate to retrieve the puck, and the fourth guy in Oshie just doesn't have the speed to do so. That was pathetic.

It's hardly a surprise though. When Kuznetsov is on the line-up he skates the puck into the zone about 90% of the time.
I remember in this offseason here were some shameful haters explaining to everyone that Kuznetsov should be moved out from PP1.

Reactions: koalabear9301

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Could not watch this game (or the two previous) since I’m on travel far far away from any ice rink or channel that would air one minute of ice hockey. So I really cannot say anything.

But, looking at the highlights from this game, did not Fehervary make some pretty big defensive mistakes? 1st period, he’s our last man and chooses to rush to the neutral zone side board for a missed poke check, which leads to a clean breakaway that Holtby saves. 2nd goal similar. 2 on 3 he rushes to the sideboard for a missed poke check, though this time at his own blue line, which created a 2 on 1.
Seems to be what coaches want from the def. he and other d has done that many times already this season and in preseason. It’s just the first time it burned us. I personally think it’s way too f’n risky unless the coaches believe that over the course of the season the communication and experience will eliminate the percentage of chances.

one thing I didn’t like from coach’s presser was he even said “we kept playing our system even though we were tired.” My hope is that he chose to do that to continue to build and reinforce familiarity with it regardless of situation and once that foundation is built, the caps will be able to play multiple ways by the end of season and playoffs.

can’t be one dimensional. Sports are situational and great teams manage situations with elite skill. When you’re too tired you can’t be turning the puck over at the opponents blue line. You can’t be charging as the last man back if your forwards are gassed. We’ll see.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I remember in this offseason here were some shameful haters explaining to everyone that Kuznetsov should be moved out from PP1.
Kuzy has the potential to be as bad as the rest of them.

our team now has a much better pk to practice against. Prioritize practicing zone entry over and over for then next several practices!

though coach will still want 5v5 to work on the system errors and also get kempny ready

Reactions: Calicaps

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Let em gloat. They relish beating us since they really care about this rivalry. And honestly they deserved the win in a hard fought game.

Nothing against the Canes, they for sure are a good team, but those are the games they should win. Those are the games, getting a team on a back to backs, having only to travel up the road on an hour flight, that if the Caps lose I get mad about.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I hate when Carlson and Ovy switches positions, it almost never works. They have to come out with something else.
They need to stop being so one dimensional Ovi only PP. if we had more zone time and puck retrieval’s we may... but I doubt it. Everyone knows what they’re trying to do.

when the PP is sharp they’re using Oshie more than a decoy or kuzy is shooting from the left side. Toronto and TB are so damn good because of the left shot options and small passes to their slot man even if the slot man simply passes puck back to the LH winger on the half boards. All that movement will create more for ovi that our current force feeding strategy.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca

Exactly... but bad kuzy either turns the puck over right as he enters or is the laziest of the puck retrievers. But agree 100% he’s the only one of these guys with the speed and control to break down a defensive stack. My hope is as soon as he breaks it down and they collapse on him in the zone, the entire team knows their responsibility in position and effort so he can move the puck to the open area.

There are open spots after he breaks the defense. Can the caps find them is the question.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I thought Carlson and Ovie switching positions on the PP was fine. It's just that both Ovie and Carlson was way off with their shots when they had open shooting lanes. Way off with their aim.

Reactions: Raikkonen

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn't see the third since I had a beer league game and Holtby had some great saves the first half of the game but I imagine he wants that OT goal back.

Oh well, 5/6 points with the schedule they had to start the season is nothing to be upset about. And they've been dominant at 5-on-5 all three games. Fix the PP and this team will be really hard to beat.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
How dare the capitals be 1st in the metro after losing to the mighty CAROLINA HURRICANES
but we lost them in double-overtime in game 7 in the last playoffs. I'm worried about them, hope there is no a trend on why and how they beat us. f***, I need to change my avatar.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
People act like getting Kuzy back is going to solve our PP issues

This has been going on since the end of last year. It’s WAY more than Kuzy

Jun 15, 2007
We really should've jumped on that Florida PP coach who got fired for coaching the Panthers to a 26.8% PP

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Whatever. 9/10 we win this game. Was actually hoping to get to the skills comp because they only have 1 skilled forward and Reimer sucks. We lost because of the PP, goal called back, no Kuzy or Kempny, and some fatigue. If they want to gloat over that win, then they're really grasping for any positives this season. With that line-up, they're a bubble-team at best.

Next.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We really should've jumped on that Florida PP coach who got fired for coaching the Panthers to a 26.8% PP
Forsythe time got extended with the Cup win, but I'm completely out of patience with him. Caps have plenty of weapons on their PP, but the coaching schematics/adjustments are not good enough. My feeling is if the Caps want their PP to be effective again, then they will have to be grittier and have a lot more quick passing/player movement, like Oshie's PPG against the Isles or Orlov's bomb from the right point(an area the 1st PP unit never shoots from).

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
It worked in SCF
"you want it"
"yeah"

They need to stop being so one dimensional Ovi only PP. if we had more zone time and puck retrieval’s we may... but I doubt it. Everyone knows what they’re trying to do.

I thought Carlson and Ovie switching positions on the PP was fine. It's just that both Ovie and Carlson was way off with their shots when they had open shooting lanes. Way off with their aim.

It's just when they do this, it feels like an early end of PP. Not because Carlson can't shoot from left circle, but because it means PP unit doesn't have any other ideas.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

It helps to actually get the puck into the offensive zone.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

PP doesent look as bad as it does on paper. They had plenty of good chances. Some games those same chances will go in. Some games they wont. Better zone entries will help so will winning more faceoffs when PP starts. Kuzy can help with the former

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Holtby looked bad on the game winner, like he never really got set. Too bad, because otherwise he played pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad