Post-Game Talk: Sat, Oct 12, 8:00p ET: Capitals @ Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I know, small sample sizes and this doesn't take into account the quality of shots faced or how the Caps played in front of them, but:
  • Holtby, 3GP, 3.67 GAA, .868 save %
  • Samsonov, 2GP, 1.00 GAA, .961 save %
Very curious to see this storyline play out throughout the season, and I'm also very happy those numbers aren't reversed.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I know, small sample sizes and this doesn't take into account the quality of shots faced or how the Caps played in front of them, but:
  • Holtby, 3GP, 3.67 GAA, .868 save %
  • Samsonov, 2GP, 1.00 GAA, .961 save %
Very curious to see this storyline play out throughout the season, and I'm also very happy those numbers aren't reversed.

Many people argue that Holtby has bad defense in front of him a lot causing his bad games but the same defense in front of Sammy is fine? I know it can change game by game but come on, eventually you can’t skirt around it

Yes there are many variables in play here but just blindly defending a player needs to stop. The fact is, when Holtby is on the ice, we have tended to let more goals in, starting last year too

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Sammy looked good again. Absolutely love a big athletic goalie who can recover from positioning mistakes. Liked the consistent engagement from the whole team through 60 minutes. Love me some Holts but if Sammy can continue to play like this and not wear down over the course of a season I think you've got to move on from the potential contract demands of Holtby after this year.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Many people argue that Holtby has bad defense in front of him a lot causing his bad games but the same defense in front of Sammy is fine? I know it can change game by game but come on, eventually you can’t skirt around it

Yes there are many variables in play here but just blindly defending a player needs to stop. The fact is, when Holtby is on the ice, we have tended to let more goals in, starting last year too

Holtby has not been good. But he has faced soooo many more odd man rushes. In one of the past games he stopped three breakaways. We have played much better in front of Samsonov. If Holtby gave up that wrap around goal he would be skewered.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Holtby has not been good. But he has faced soooo many more odd man rushes. In one of the past games he stopped three breakaways. We have played much better in front of Samsonov. If Holtby gave up that wrap around goal he would be skewered.
Preach!! Everything you said here is true but to some it may be blasphemy.

Bottom line: Samsonov provides heat to Holtby’s griddle. If the POs start today, it’s Holtby for me all the way. If he loses two games to CBus, then Samsonov gets his chance and we’ll hope Holtby comes Paul Revere-style to lead us to the promise land once again.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I like that the 4 best players tonight - Carlson, Kuzy, Wilson, Samsonov - potentially locked up for years
DO NOT LET ANY NON-CAPS fan and MOST CAPS FANS see this, good lord are you saying the guy is actually any good. A contributor to this site and regionally syndicated writer once told me Miles Wood was a better hockey player than Tom Wilson, you have to be kidding, right?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Preach!! Everything you said here is true but to some it may be blasphemy.

Bottom line: Samsonov provides heat to Holtby’s griddle. If the POs start today, it’s Holtby for me all the way. If he loses two games to CBus, then Samsonov gets his chance and we’ll hope Holtby comes Paul Revere-style to lead us to the promise land once again.

But the issues with Holtby have been present for a few seasons now, basically since the playoffs in 2017. His only real good stretch was the Cup run and aside from that he’s been basically a replacement level player even when you factor in the quality of chances he’s faced. No one’s frustrated at Holtby’s play because of a few bad games, they are frustrated because it’s been a trend for a few years.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
IS had a solid game. The Caps had lost 3 games in a row, yes? They were going to tighten up. I mean. Seigenthaler played the 2nd most minutes in that game. Is he suddenly the 2d? Orlov and Jensen played under 20. Do you think that continues? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad