Post-Game Talk: Sat., Nov. 2, 2013| Flyers 1 at Devils 0

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A Sportsnet guy just wrote an article about quality shots and shooting percentages from those shots. Link to Part II. You should check it out; it's a good read.

5% is certainly unsustainable, but it's probably most reflective of the team's inability to create quality scoring chances.

Haha, I've already got that tab open. It's been sitting on my browser for days, haven't had a chance to read more about it. There's a thread somewhere on the Numbers forum.

I think a big reason that percentage is so low is is that the team misses the net from those points blank scoring areas way, way too often. They generate opportunities where they need to, but a big chunk of them end up being useless because they don't even go on net. I assume that serves to drive the percentage down.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers have managed to be 26th in Shots per Game and freaking 9th in shots missed. Most other teams that are ranked near the bottom in Shots Per Game are also ranked pretty low in shots missed, because they just aren't creating anything at all.

I know this isn't exactly something to stop the presses over as breaking news, but this team is ridiculously snakebitten.

Priority 1 on offense needs to be actually hitting the net.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
You know what is crazy??? If we had beaten the Caps, we would only be 2 points out of a playoff spot!!!

It is. Other than the Pens, nobody's really running away with the division. The Flyers are getting plenty of chances to get back into the mix, they just have to start doing their part.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
2007_0050__bar-with-bottles_merx_11.jpg

drunk-santa-gif.gif

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Raffl had a good game. PK did fairly well. Defense tightened up, allowed some decent scoring chances but got some fortunate bounces. Luckily the Devils were without Elias.

It's good to beat the Devils, though. So cheers to that. :handclap:

Also, the Flyers have to be one of the worst teams with the opposing goalie pulled; do they ever score an empty netter?

One more thing, the refs were awful. There was no consistency at all, for either team.

Edit:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd
Unfortunately, the Devils actually know how to score.

I guess I was wrong about that.

Last edited:

Pierrot

Jan 10, 2009
A win is a win, I'll take it anydays of week no matter how they did.
They played good D at least since NJ didn't score a goal ... Let's hope it get them some more confidence.

I'm tired of seeing the flyers loose everytime just when I have the opportunity to watch them play at 7...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He has been pretty fine in his own zone when the opposition set up apart from a few silly penalties... but his speed has fell off a cliff and it seems to be really affecting him getting up and down the ice, so even with his IQ he is finding himself out of position and unable to clean up after his own mistakes as we are all so used to seeing him do, and having to force plays more that he would usually already be past a guy or in more space for.

I think that is what is making him look bad... he has 55 minutes of ok hockey each game, but when a play is blown once or twice a game he looks so out of place it looks like he has played it far worse than he actually had as a goalscoring chance is guaranteed, and those things stick in peoples minds.

Yeah, Matt Carle never shook that either.

As far as shooting percentages, the average is about 8%. And the Leafs are shooting about 10.5%. Might ruffle a feather or two if/when they end up battling with the Flyers for positioning in the standings.

No need to apologize for winning, but this was still a listless game for the most part. The Devils were just more hurt, and just as listless. We happened to score a goal. After Friday, people were expecting the Flyers to come out ready to fight a war. There are some struggling teams this month, so it sets up for the Flyers to go from 'completely terrible' to 'painfully mediocre.'

SgtJoseph*

The Flyers have managed to be 26th in Shots per Game and freaking 9th in shots missed. Most other teams that are ranked near the bottom in Shots Per Game are also ranked pretty low in shots missed, because they just aren't creating anything at all.

I know this isn't exactly something to stop the presses over as breaking news, but this team is ridiculously snakebitten.

Priority 1 on offense needs to be actually hitting the net.

That's why i personally do not lay blame on Lavy's system, or Berube's system or any of that nonsense.........Our club gets their fair share of quality chances to score, its up to the players to finish those chances, not Lavy, Berube, or Homer etc .One of these games the flood gates are gonna open and we might get 6 or 7, the law of averages eventually will dictate it happen .

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Great to see us take a regulation win out against the Devils. that is HUGE for this particular group of players who have basically never beaten the Devils in orange and black. Good to see that our defensive game has made it to a point where we can dance with the Devils and beat them with their own game! 1-0 shutout **** you NJ. The shutout stands out to me as a point of team based pride that the guys can build off of in terms of "coming together".

A win is a win, a shutout is a shutout, and I'm even happier to see us win a game that we were outplayed in-I've seen enough of the opposite over the last couple years. We've been getting some bounces for us which simply just did not happen in the early(er) going of the season.

I only managed to catch about 40 scattered minutes of the game so observations are kind of limited but:

Raffl- His passes were missing tape, his shots were being deflected before getting off his stick. The good news is that he's only played 10 games on North American ice and already seems to be developing a knack for finding himself open ice on the rush. So he's finding the spots, but still very-much-so getting used to the extremely limited time and space of our rinks and of the world's top league. He got nothing done in the end, but he stood out in an otherwise boring game.

Couts-Looked strong on the puck, and especially the boards lately. He's a great forechecker, all the turnovers his stick caused last night makes me giddy. His offense is still stuck on the perimeter of the o-zone and hasn't come to any sort of fruition.

-Coburn kept things tough and simple.
-Hall looked to me as having a nice little game in his spot.
-Hartnell saved the game at the end, doing what he does best-sliding into and through creases.

This ones really tough for me to say, as I've never flacked the guy a single world in his career, but Timonen is one of our weakest of the weak links. He hasn't looked like he belongs on the ice this year. Was so relieved to see him taken off the top PP unit last week. Here's to hoping things turn around for him, but I don't think his body has much left in the tank.

The rest of the guys, I didn't really notice. Read had a rough game but did a lot of good aswell.

Overall, good game.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Anyone want to tell me about couts? Icouldnt watch the game.

Played very solid, probably the best forward for Flyers in game. Not much offensively but he played 20+ mins against the top line and on the PK. Was a stud killing penalties and overall shutdown in the defensive zone. I gave him an 8.0 rating out of 10 which was the highest of all Flyers players yesterday.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Played very solid, probably the best forward for Flyers in game. Not much offensively but he played 20+ mins against the top line and on the PK. Was a stud killing penalties and overall shutdown in the defensive zone. I gave him an 8.0 rating out of 10 which was the highest of all Flyers players yesterday.

Great to hear! Thanks for the update

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I perused your photo and noticed a complete dearth of bourbon. I was all set to protest then I thought - perhaps MSE - a fellow conniseur of fine spirits such as Bulleit - did this intentionally. A crappy win is like a full bar with no bourbon.

Well played

Great pic but I do not see my drink of choice. Crown(it must be in the freezer cause that is where I keep mine).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's why i personally do not lay blame on Lavy's system, or Berube's system or any of that nonsense.........Our club gets their fair share of quality chances to score, its up to the players to finish those chances, not Lavy, Berube, or Homer etc .One of these games the flood gates are gonna open and we might get 6 or 7, the law of averages eventually will dictate it happen .

Well, under Lavy there were clear fundamental flaws with the system and breakout to boot. Berube has fixed a lot of those...there's a reason they started getting out of their own end smoothly instead of turning it into the Battle of the Somme, and there's a reason that change happened over the course of about two games into Berube's stint, while it failed to happen over about 70 games with Lavi.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just saw that Couturier and Giroux were out for over 18 minutes combined in the third.

Wow... talk about shortening the bench.

Couturier looked damned good, too. I think PK duties boosted their time a lot.

Great pic but I do not see my drink of choice. Crown(it must be in the freezer cause that is where I keep mine).

Best place to keep booze. You don't need as much ice that way.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, Matt Carle never shook that either.

As far as shooting percentages, the average is about 8%. And the Leafs are shooting about 10.5%. Might ruffle a feather or two if/when they end up battling with the Flyers for positioning in the standings.

No need to apologize for winning, but this was still a listless game for the most part. The Devils were just more hurt, and just as listless. We happened to score a goal. After Friday, people were expecting the Flyers to come out ready to fight a war. There are some struggling teams this month, so it sets up for the Flyers to go from 'completely terrible' to 'painfully mediocre.'

There's an enormous difference between Carle and Timonen. Carle never shook his image because he was constantly keeping it alive and feeding the fires, both in the stats and with the eyeball test.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
There's an enormous difference between Carle and Timonen. Carle never shook his image because he was constantly keeping it alive and feeding the fires, both in the stats and with the eyeball test.

Tbf I think this years Kimmo (and this years Kimmo is not really Kimmo) and Carle have a lot of similarities, but different reasons for them. (1 speed, 1 wrists/IQ!)

Both are decent players and are fine for 58 minutes a game or 95/100 plays... where other players not as solid for as many minutes... but only look stupid on 1 out of 100 plays.

Carle always had decent games averaged out... but those 1-2 massive blown plays he had a lot games negated the others that would make him a pretty good d man, and massively frustrated fans and gave him a bad rep. (As you say... he kept doing the same things constantly!)

Kimmo is the same this year. Does most of the small things right then ****s up massively.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Timonen looks like he's really struggling to read plays on offense.

If he's in the defensive zone (and not trying to catch up to the rush) he's generally looked decent to me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At some point, during some game, I want to see Couturier at center with Giroux on his RW... just for ***** and giggles.

Maybe some time when they're losing badly but I'm curious to see what would happen.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
At some point, during some game, I want to see Couturier at center with Giroux on his RW... just for ***** and giggles.

Maybe some time when they're losing badly but I'm curious to see what would happen.

I wouldn't mind this, just to see. I think a playmaking winger would benefit Couturier greatly. He's got a great shot, but nobody to feed him the puck on a regular basis.

Having said that, I don't think I'd want to lose Giroux's abilities on the draw...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad